Mar 21, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
✟7,913.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

Unintelligent Design

Lost amid all the recent discussions of intelligent design -- including Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal's decision this past Friday to sign a bill that allows teachers in his state to "supplement" classes on evolution with talk of creationism -- is one simple basic fact. The human species isn't intelligently designed.

When you get right down to it, from an engineering perspective, the design of the human mind (and for the matter the human body) is a bit of mess.

Take, for instance, human memory, and the trouble we often have in remembering even the most basic facts -- where did we put our keys? Where did we park our car? Because our brains so often blur our memories together. Human eyewitness testimony is often no match for even a low-rent survelllance camera, and memory can fail even in life-or-death circumstances. (6% of all skydiving fatalities, for instance, are from divers that forgot to pull their ripcords),

Our troubles with memory in turn lead to an unending litany of problems that the psychologist Timothy Wilson collectively refers to as "mental contamination", in which irrelevant information frequently, ranging from the physical attractiveness of political candidates to random numbers on a roulette wheel, subconsciously cloud human judgments. If an ugly child throws an ice-filled snowballs, for instance, we judge that child to be delinquent, but when an especially attractive child does the same thing, we excuse him, saying he's just "having a bad day." A study published earlier this month showed that people's moral judgments are more severe when made in a disgusting, soiled pizza-box filled office than when in an office that is neat as a pin; another, which appeared just last week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, shows that voters are more likely to favor school policies if the balloting takes place in a school than if it takes place in an apartment building. We may aspire, as Aristotle thought, to be "the rational animal", but in reality the flotsam and jetsam of barely conscious memory frequently intercedes.

At this point, 30 years after the Nobel Laureate Daniel Kahneman and his late collaborator Amos Tversky started documenting a rash of fallacies in human reasoning, the idea that the human mind would be "perfect in His image" is as outdated (and narcissistic) as the idea that the solar system would revolve around the planet earth.

Imperfections riddle the body as well; the human spine supports 70% of our body weight with a single column, where four might have distributed the load better (greatly reducing the incidence of debilitating back pain), and the human retina is effectively installed backwards, with its array of outgoing neural fibers coming out of the front rather than the back, saddling us with an entirely needless blindspot.

The only theory that can really make sense of these needless imperfections is Darwin's theory of natural selection,
An article discussing features found on the human body which dismiss any suggestion of intelligent design. Gods blunders, or natural selection? which is it.

Full article here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gary-marcus/unintelligent-design_b_110082.html

Reactions: plindboe

TemperateSeaIsland

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Aug 7, 2005
Wales, UK
✟21,785.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
(6% of all skydiving fatalities, for instance, are from divers that forgot to pull their ripcords)

What!? That's insane.

The scariest thing to consider is that perhaps there is a god, and he's just an idiot.

For some reason I find this strangely appealing, would make an interesting religion.

Upvote 0

edrogati

Aug 4, 2008
Milton, Vermont
✟18,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
An article discussing features found on the human body which dismiss any suggestion of intelligent design. Gods blunders, or natural selection? which is it.

Full article here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gary-marcus/unintelligent-design_b_110082.html

I have a challenge; assuming that the proposition above is true, I would like us all to work on doing a better job. Let's start with the same raw materials and go from there. OK, anybody got a spare Big Bang lying around?

Upvote 0

Draconic

Chess Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2008
✟15,268.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My bones proclaim a story of Incompetent design!

My back still hurts, my sinuses clog, my teeth are misaligned.

If I had drawn the blueprint, I would cer-tain-ly resign!

In-com-pe-tent de-sign!

Evo, evo-evolution!

Design, is but a mere illusion.

Darwin sparked our revolution.

Sci-ence shall prevail!!!

Reactions: Bombila
Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a challenge; assuming that the proposition above is true, I would like us all to work on doing a better job. Let's start with the same raw materials and go from there. OK, anybody got a spare Big Bang lying around?
With the resources God allegedly has, we'd be able to do a much better job. Really anything less than perfect falls short of the standard God must be held to, since he claims to be perfect and inerrant.

Upvote 0

Draconic

Chess Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2008
✟15,268.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have a challenge; assuming that the proposition above is true, I would like us all to work on doing a better job.

Well, first off we could just dump those pesky wisdom teeth. Same with the appendix.

Which reminds me. My wisdom teeth are coming in, and it hurts to shut my mouth.

Upvote 0

edrogati

Aug 4, 2008
Milton, Vermont
✟18,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With the resources God allegedly has, we'd be able to do a much better job. Really anything less than perfect falls short of the standard God must be held to, since he claims to be perfect and inerrant.

Alright. Let's go at it. First, let's get the resources together.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

edrogati

Aug 4, 2008
Milton, Vermont
✟18,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, first off we could just dump those pesky wisdom teeth. Same with the appendix.

Which reminds me. My wisdom teeth are coming in, and it hurts to shut my mouth.

We modify those things by ourselves by removal. What should be added?

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
We modify those things by ourselves by removal. What should be added?

We have access to modern dentistry. Many many other people do not, and as such a simple procedure like the removal of molar teeth is not an option.

Upvote 0

edrogati

Aug 4, 2008
Milton, Vermont
✟18,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have access to modern dentistry. Many many other people do not, and as such a simple procedure like the removal of molar teeth is not an option.

So, just so I'm understanding here, wisdom teeth are a sign of bad design because in a lot of people they emerge improperly? What is the suggested alternative; their non-existence or some other improvement on design?

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Alright. Let's go at it. First, let's get the resources together.
We don't have omnipotence, so we can't. But just because we lack the resources to do what God is claimed to have done, doesn't mean we can't spot flaws in the final product.

Upvote 0

edrogati

Aug 4, 2008
Milton, Vermont
✟18,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We don't have omnipotence, so we can't. But just because we lack the resources to do what God is claimed to have done, doesn't mean we can't spot flaws in the final product.

C'mon! Omniscience?! Something?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
C'mon! Omniscience?! Something?
No, we don't have any of that. But again, even though we lack the resources to create a better product, we still have the ability to pick out flaws. I can't sing either, but I know when someone's singing off-key.

I'm guessing your argument is going to be one of the following:

1. Our minds are too limited to understand the full picture, so what look like flaws or vestigial organs to us are actually necessary features to our survival that only God knows we need. This isn't so much an argument as it is a rationalization.

2. Everything was perfect before the Fall, but then when man sinned, everything changed to the imperfect state it's in because of all the sin in the world. This requires God to have done more than just added pain to the birth process and taken the serpent's legs off. He'd have had to rework virtually every living organism's DNA to match what we see now.

3. Creating all life is an astonishing task, and we should be awed at its mere existence, never mind its quality. But if God were to go through all the trouble of creating life, including man (in his own image, mind you), why would he do such a sloppy job that they have useless organs that sometimes are even detrimental to their health?

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
So, just so I'm understanding here, wisdom teeth are a sign of bad design because in a lot of people they emerge improperly? What is the suggested alternative; their non-existence or some other improvement on design?

No wisdom teeth at all would be better. If not that, then larger mandibles to accommodate the number of teeth. Either would be better than having a large number of people suffer through either unnecessary surgery, or impacted teeth.

Upvote 0

Blackrend

Jul 10, 2008
✟8,148.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

And the Creationist explanation?

"Well duh, Humans didn't have wisdom teeth/achy backs/memory loss/appendixes/etc before THE FALL!!!!1!1"

=P

Upvote 0

anonymous1515

Feb 8, 2008
✟15,945.00
Faith
Seeker
Yeah, the human head is a good example of bad design. Or more specifically, the size of a human baby's head. Having such a large head presents a difficulty for giving birth, as the human pelvis is relatively small. If humans were perfectly designed/adapted then we should expect to see no deaths occur during childbirth. Yet we don't.

Upvote 0