Toronto
✟20,153.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Does anyone have experience with feeling a "thump" or some sort of bumb, and then seeing an object in the vincinity move slightly or subtly at the same time or a second later? If you have, was this when you were concencrated in thought or watching something?

I'm trying to figure out this phenomina. If this is something that's generated from my own mind, a micro-intersection with a potential parallel reality interacting with mine for the moment and creating a differential that causes a movement, a pesky ghost that's playing tricks with me to let me know something is there, etc...? This has happened a number of times, but its too infrequent and happens at times I'm too tired or absorbed into something to care and its not done in such a way to inspire any fear. It's just interesting and I want to know if anyone can corroborate with this.

Some of the movements are very subtle in nature. (ie an object that's falling moves bizzarely side-ways in a way that doesn't account for that trajectory to the ground, so almost a horizontal movement while falling before falling down, or any horizontal movements that can't be explained by gravity, hearing something falling down but it was securely positioned unless it was moved horizontally to make it fall, etc...).

• Informative
Reactions: Rajni

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,239,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
It could be spirit activity, or it could be just a "glitch" in the fabric of reality, perhaps.

Back when my kids were small, one of them told me her calculator skittered across her desk all by itself. I remember asking her if she was feeling any strong emotions when it happened (my understanding was that "poltergeist" activity is the result of such things, which is why I asked), but she said no.

Although the house we lived in at the time was a new build, there were various, thankfully subtle, oddities that occurred during the time we lived there (I maintained a list as things happened; it was interesting). I remember saying, "But my house is too young to be haunted!", but my neighbors reminded me that it has more to do with the land upon which a structure is built.

So, sometimes I just think it's spirit activity, but lately I've also wondered about the reality-glitch theory, that sometimes reality just hiccups and things get moved around. Like a glitch in a simulation. Doors don't always stay closed, or can't decide whether to stay open or shut, objects don't stay on the counter. There might not necessarily be an entity behind it, things just get "hiccups". Then, life goes on as usual, until the next hiccup.

Fascinating stuff... All I have are theories, though...

• Agree
Reactions: Juan777
Upvote 0

Juan777

Jun 20, 2022
Toronto
✟20,153.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
The thump I may feel seems like a micro pressure wave then something is moved. Strong emotions are not necessarily present but there could be an obsessive or cringe wierd thought or memory occurring during those moments. This lead me to speculate on unintended accidental telekinetic energy discharge or maybe I am causing these glitches if my thoughts hits a certain trigger point. I guess its one to add to the other two theories. We can agree that horizontal movement is not natural and is disturbing of ones sense of continuity of reality.

• Informative
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,750.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone have experience with feeling a "thump" or some sort of bumb, and then seeing an object in the vincinity move slightly or subtly at the same time or a second later? If you have, was this when you were concencrated in thought or watching something?

I'm trying to figure out this phenomina. If this is something that's generated from my own mind, a micro-intersection with a potential parallel reality interacting with mine for the moment and creating a differential that causes a movement, a pesky ghost that's playing tricks with me to let me know something is there, etc...? This has happened a number of times, but its too infrequent and happens at times I'm too tired or absorbed into something to care and its not done in such a way to inspire any fear. It's just interesting and I want to know if anyone can corroborate with this.

Some of the movements are very subtle in nature. (ie an object that's falling moves bizzarely side-ways in a way that doesn't account for that trajectory to the ground, so almost a horizontal movement while falling before falling down, or any horizontal movements that can't be explained by gravity, hearing something falling down but it was securely positioned unless it was moved horizontally to make it fall, etc...).
The first thing that comes to mind is that it's a small movement of the eye. Usually your brain can tune them out because the brain and the eye communicate, and the brain can compensate for how the eye tells the brain that it is moving, but if that signal gets disrupted for whatever reason, then the brain can notice this movement. It's just a trick of biology.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The thump I may feel seems like a micro pressure wave then something is moved. Strong emotions are not necessarily present but there could be an obsessive or cringe wierd thought or memory occurring during those moments. This lead me to speculate on unintended accidental telekinetic energy discharge or maybe I am causing these glitches if my thoughts hits a certain trigger point. I guess its one to add to the other two theories. We can agree that horizontal movement is not natural and is disturbing of ones sense of continuity of reality.
If this is still happening, maybe see a physician?
It might be an inner-ear infection. (IANAP, not providing “medical advice”)

A “fun” thing I’ve noticed is, when in a mostly dark room with just a tiny bit of light coming in, if you keep your eyes as still as possible, WAY out on the edge of your peripheral vision, you might notice a very subtle “flashing”.
I believe this effect is cause my your eyes “hertz rate”, the time it takes for the rods to “refresh”, about 18 cycles/second.

Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

If you live near a lake it can be a reflection off the water and clouds.
It can also be floaters in your eyes.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The deja vu (previously seen) sensation is most likely a product of the temporal lobes of the brain. In most people, the right temporal lobe is involved in long term non-verbal memory and recall. One theory is that when you’re experiencing something for the first time, some of the neuronal circuitry gets shunted to the long term memory regions in the temporal lobe. Which triggers a brief sensation that you've been here before. The exact mechanism isn’t known with certainty, but this sounds plausible.

There’s also the jamais vu (never seen) phenomenon. The opposite of deja vu. It’s a feeling that a familiar situation is new and has’t yet been experienced. It’s less common than deja vu. But likely, it also results from a long term/short term memory mix-up.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,449.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
The deja vu (previously seen) sensation is most likely a product of the temporal lobes of the brain. In most people, the right temporal lobe is involved in long term non-verbal memory and recall. One theory is that when you’re experiencing something for the first time, some of the neuronal circuitry gets shunted to the long term memory regions in the temporal lobe. Which triggers a brief sensation that you've been here before. The exact mechanism isn’t known with certainty, but this sounds plausible.

There’s also the jamais vu (never seen) phenomenon. The opposite of deja vu. It’s a feeling that a familiar situation is new and has’t yet been experienced. It’s less common than deja vu. But likely, it also results from a long term/short term memory mix-up.

I will mean memories consist of experiences.

Taste, smell, sight, hearing, touch.

In a normal functioning brain there is a filter that filters out what we may regard as un important for the moment.

With time the filter becomes worn which reveals what we thought we had forgot,

until it appears crystal clear in detail, I call it a flashback.

This not meant to be a solution or answer to deva ju of which I scarcely know anything of.

IWhen I have a flashback then I remember and recognize the moment there is no doubt
(mostly moments from years ago).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,449.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I will mean memories consist of experiences.

Taste, smell, sight, hearing, touch.

In a normal functioning brain there is a filter that filters out what we may regard as un important for the moment.

With time the filter becomes worn which reveals what we thought we had forgot,

until it appears crystal clear in detail, I call it a flashback.

This not meant to be a solution or answer to deva ju of which I scarcely know anything of.

IWhen I have a flashback then I remember and recognize the moment there is no doubt.
PS.
For me it does not come in the form of a dream, that would be confusing.

Upvote 0