Apr 11, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
✟8,273.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So I have a bit of a predicament. I was let go from my full time, salaried job of ten years last October. I am also a non-traditional, full time college student (rising junior). I started to collect unemployment after my compensation ran out in January. I was able to pick up a little side work here and there, nothing major though. Now my wife has been demoted at her job, putting her back at part time, and we're having to find ways to make more and/or spend less. Obviously, if I had a job, one would think it would help. But I'm getting about $400 a week through unemployment. If I figure a good case scenario of 30 hours at $10 per hour, I'm thinking I could get $300 per week not counting taxes if I got a proper p/t job. Mind you, I've never had a p/t job, so I have not had any sales experience, any waitering experience, and no real customer experience to speak of, and that seems to be half of the p/t work that's available.

Doing nothing and getting paid for it seems lazy, though it's morally ambiguous (I pay my taxes so I'm using, not abusing, a system I pay for). Working seems the "right" way to do it, though it'll hurt financially and I'd have to find something that would allow me to stay in school.

What do you think is the best way to get through this situation?

And yes, my wife is trying to find a full time job. We also have an extra bedroom in our house, which we're going to try and find a roommate to help take some of the cost burden off of us. Worst case scenario is we move in with my parents, she can work for her parents business, and I'll have to transfer to an out of state school (which is a whole other money situation).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Kol

Working on it
Jan 24, 2007
✟12,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Next time vote communist.

No, seriously, all I can say is if you stick with the p/t it might get better or (once things pick up, barring the Apocalypse), something might turn into a full-time job. Besides, work can take off some of the stress and give you two stressed out people time apart from each other, which is sure to cut down on the short tempers...at least a bit.

Upvote 0

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you aren't pulling in full time hours and you aren't making what you made at your last job, you may qualify for unemployment while you work part time to help with the bills.

Currently, I work, but work has been sporadic lately, so I also collect unemployment because I wouldn't be able to pay my bills otherwise and also qualify for it. Check out this option if you think you can go with it.

Upvote 0