Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When dealing with a new congregation, since I do a lot of moving around, I end up witnessing about a lot of experiences, some of it dreams, some visions.
I usually will have that way something to say if the need arises.

Some 2 years ago I was in such a situation where I heard the Pastor's wife begin the service, no problem there, yet when she broke off into praising the Lord in the Spirit, I knew something was up, and within seconds the Spirit told me to be ready with a vision.

I was almost in a panic as I realized that I would have just seconds to choose which vision to talk about.
It didn't come easy, but as soon as I had my mind made up, she turned around and asked me what did I see,...I then let it rip, with the vision from the past and then the short interpretation and exhortation.

The OT establishes that Prophets dream and see visions as the basis of their messages, whether it be an exhortation, sermon or prophecy, sure, you never reveal every single vision as its not given for you to do, God does do things on a need to know basis.

This not your everyday variety of manifestation, its just a reflection of more than 30 years experience as a pentecostal believer.
Experiences within the life of the believer are on a take it or leave it basis, you can argue about ideas, but you can't debate an experience.
To undermine experiences, visions and dreams is to despise prophecies themselves as they are all tied together.
Prophets from the past did the same when it came to dealing with their messages basing them on visions and dreams from the past, and what they saw in the present.

The whole point to sharing experiences is to benefit congregations, sometimes challenging them, sometimes inspiring them with things to reach out for.

Jesus said we would do increasing greater works as time goes on.
That means that what I've seen and done over the years doesn't compare to what others will do after me, all within the reach of the believer that dares to believe and ask the impossible.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamadan

Jan 1, 2009
✟8,566.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'm confused. She turned to you asking what you saw and you described a vision or dream you had in the past? And had to choose which experience you wanted to share? So this wasn't something you just experienced during the brief time of worship? Wasn't she looking for what is the Spirit speaking to the congregation now? Not something interesting that happened in the past?

I never search for a word or a vision. It either just happened or it didn't. If someone asks me if I got a word and I didn't, I plainly state that I didn't get anything. Drawing from past experiences wouldn't even enter my mind. What relevance does that have to that specific congregation at that particular time? Just describing experiences you've had gets too close to what Paul so wisely avoided, talking about his spiritual experiences. If it doesn't have specific prophetic relevance to that moment, it seems to me it only serves to build ego and attempt to impress others.

Upvote 0

jamadan

Jan 1, 2009
✟8,566.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
When you say "To undermine experiences, visions and dreams is to despise prophecies themselves as they are all tied together", I'm afraid I have to disagree. Scripture tells us to test everything. Testing and rejecting something as part of the proper judgement isn't rejecting or despising prophecy itself, it's rejecting a false, fleshly attempt to pass off one's own ego or attempts to impress or manipulate as a word from the Lord.

When you responded to the pastor's wife and began to describe your dream or vision, did you clarify that it was something from the past and wasn't something the Spirit just showed you? If not, I believe you could have misled her as that's what she was asking for.

I really don't get this whole concept of pulling out a dream or vision and from the past and pretending you just got it or it was something relevant to the given context. The Lord has Rhema, fresh and living, to share, not stale bread.

Upvote 0

StevenL

Veteran
Sep 10, 2004
Louisiana, USA
✟10,024.00
Faith
Christian
When you say "To undermine experiences, visions and dreams is to despise prophecies themselves as they are all tied together", I'm afraid I have to disagree. Scripture tells us to test everything. Testing and rejecting something as part of the proper judgement isn't rejecting or despising prophecy itself, it's rejecting a false, fleshly attempt to pass off one's own ego or attempts to impress or manipulate as a word from the Lord.

When you responded to the pastor's wife and began to describe your dream or vision, did you clarify that it was something from the past and wasn't something the Spirit just showed you? If not, I believe you could have misled her as that's what she was asking for.

I really don't get this whole concept of pulling out a dream or vision and from the past and pretending you just got it or it was something relevant to the given context. The Lord has Rhema, fresh and living, to share, not stale bread.

Wisdom

Upvote 0