Crosby, Texas
✟15,176.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have just became a christian about 2 months ago. I am almost obsessed already. I want to do all that I can to learn and be a better christian. So in the old testament It says not to eat pork shellfish etc, Some say the new testament did away with these laws and some say it does not. I have started reading the bible but I am still in Exodus does anyone have versus in the bible that support either of these claims?

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have just became a christian about 2 months ago. I am almost obsessed already. I want to do all that I can to learn and be a better christian. So in the old testament It says not to eat pork shellfish etc, Some say the new testament did away with these laws and some say it does not. I have started reading the bible but I am still in Exodus does anyone have versus in the bible that support either of these claims?

And he called the people to him again and said to them, "Hear me, all of you, and understand: There is nothing outside a person that by going into him can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him." And when he had entered the house and left the people, his disciples asked him about the parable. And he said to them, "Then are you also without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into a person from outside cannot defile him, since it enters not his heart but his stomach, and is expelled?" ( Thus he declared all foods clean.) And he said, "What comes out of a person is what defiles him. For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person." Mark 7:14-23

However, not all possess this knowledge. But some, through former association with idols, eat food as really offered to an idol, and their conscience, being weak, is defiled. Food will not commend us to God. We are no worse off if we do not eat, and no better off if we do. But take care that this right of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak. 1 Cor 8:7-9

As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand. Rom 14:1-4

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As Paul states in Romans 14:14, foods are not unclean in and of themselves. While God has given rules concerning food in the past, they were laws intended to serve a particular purpose at a particular time, not moral absolutes. The laws given to the Israelites concerning food were in force during the time of the Old Covenant, not before and not after.

People often view Paul's teaching on foods as contradictory to Jesus' teaching, particularly Jesus' statement that he was not coming to abolish the law. Yet Jesus himself pointed out that the ceremonial aspects of the law were only ceremonial in Matthew 15:10-20

Jesus did not teach his disciples to break the Law, for since he had not yet died and been resurrected, the Law was still in effect. However, he did tell his disciples that his death and resurrection was the beginning of a new covenant Luke 22:20. This new covenant removed the distinctions between clean and unclean that were made in the Law, as a vision from God demonstrated to Peter in Acts 10:9-16.

Hope that helps

Upvote 0

seangoh

Veteran
Dec 10, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
✟16,661.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
hi suzybeezy, this is one of the differing points of christianity. Most of christendom believes that it's no longer necessary to have such food distinctions of clean/unclean. However, i strongly do not hold this view as i believe that not all food can be fit for eating. Just think about it, if your parents knew what food is good/bad for you, they would have guided you in having a certain kind of diet. In the same way, God has revealed to us guidelines in diet so we can follow. It's impossible and ridiculous to say that God has made ALL things clean for eating. That would mean that i can eat poisonous animals without having any adverse effect on my body. This would include puffer fish, frogs, snails. Even though people eat them now due to method of preparation, it does not mean that they have become clean due to cooking or that God said it. Eating seafood and such have a slow and long term effect on the body as the body although "wonderfully made" (Psalm 139:14), is not resilient to everything.

I've given my logical thoughts on this issue. To LISTEN to more answers from a biblical standpoint, you can visit this page. Also, you might want to keep a lookout in the papers/magazines/journals about what scientists are discovering about eating food in the unclean category to get a scientific view of it too.

It's good to hear different sides of the story. Then you're on your own in making the decision which you think is wise and what God thinks is good for you. God Bless.

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
This passage is a fairly clear implication that the food laws are unnecessary... which doesn't preclude anyone from keeping them should they wish to.

Acts 10
9About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles of the earth and birds of the air. 13Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."
14"Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have never eaten anything impure or unclean."

15The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

BrotherAtArms

Jul 28, 2005
✟17,086.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is one of those issues that many people try to keep as a tradition. Remember, the ritual Law was done away with by Jesus. He came to 'fulfill' the Law.
No more sacrifices, no more traditions, and He eventually tells Peter that even the unclean meat is OK.
The Bible is absolutely clear, eat meat and enjoy.... just not humans o_o

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.