UCC Wikki

DeanM

Jun 4, 2007
✟5,870.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I read the Wikipedia article on the UCC. I liked what I saw.

The article basically says that the UCC stresses congregational input over a centralized controller of doctrine.

Is that an accurate statement?

Also, if it is an accurate statement, is there anything in place to prevent misuse of authority by a particular congregation?

Thanks 8)

Supernaut

What did they aim for when they missed your heart?
Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟12,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I read the Wikipedia article on the UCC. I liked what I saw.

The article basically says that the UCC stresses congregational input over a centralized controller of doctrine.

Is that an accurate statement?
Yup! That is pretty much it. The council and or congregation utilizes the voting system.
Also, if it is an accurate statement, is there anything in place to prevent misuse of authority by a particular congregation?
Are you reffering to congregation versus Pastor? If so, there are mediators at the Chruches (usually selected by the Pastor).

Upvote 0

DeanM

Jun 4, 2007
✟5,870.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
RevSJamison;52888338

Yup! That is pretty much it. The council and or congregation utilizes the voting system.

Are you reffering to congregation versus Pastor? If so, there are mediators at the Chruches (usually selected by the Pastor).

Thanks Rev!

I meant to ask if there was any kind of centralized oversight among congregations. IOW, is there a central panel or something that might keep individual churches from getting too far away from a central belief system?

What if one congregation voted that (for instance) that baptism had to happen every 14 days or a soul would be lost forever, yet another congregation voted that baptisms were not even necessary.

Would a person moving from one congregation to another likely find completely different belief set?

Thanks for your patience with me!

Upvote 0

Supernaut

What did they aim for when they missed your heart?
Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟12,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks Rev!

I meant to ask if there was any kind of centralized oversight among congregations. IOW, is there a central panel or something that might keep individual churches from getting too far away from a central belief system?

Not to my knowledge. I have only been a member of one congregation though, so others may be different in that respect.

What if one congregation voted that (for instance) that baptism had to happen every 14 days or a soul would be lost forever, yet another congregation voted that baptisms were not even necessary.

They are free to do so. The Pastor and congregation (me thinks) must agree with principle idea behind the vote.

Would a person moving from one congregation to another likely find completely different belief set?

Probably not. All UCC's adhere to the main Doctrine. Some don't give a rip about the Nicene Council (like mine) and some are more mainline traditional and adhere to all the basic tenents. Some are open and affirming and some are not (most are though).

Thanks for your patience with me!

You are deserving of such patience. Always welcome.

Upvote 0

DeanM

Jun 4, 2007
✟5,870.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the explanation, Rev.

It sounds like a wonderful church for a couple of reasons.

First, it doesn't have the problem of "because I said so" doctrine.

Second, it encourages the congregation to truly seek to understand their own positions on doctrine, lest they not be able to vote correctly.

I'd certainly pick this church over many that are founded on the "infallible" heritage of tradition.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

spinningtutu

Jun 5, 2005
✟3,648.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
My experience has been that the structure of the UCC itself holds a very limited (yet still present) say over how things go... but not in the sense of enforcing (any) belief or worship structure... but rather for the sake of preventing certain abuses. In other words, in terms of belief/religion and worship style (etc) the congregation has the last say... in terms of things like buildings, finances, etc. the UCC itself has a say... Also, in the case of any abuse scenarios, the UCC as an entity would be directly involved in the process of resolution.

My understanding is that the UCC "hierarchy" (though it sounds heretical to even use that word) that does exist, exists only for the sake of ensuring that congregations truly have the freedom of religion.

Upvote 0