Jan 28, 2012
✟256.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I know we are congregational but I was wondering if the conference or some sort of governing body representing UCC's has a common or mainly held viewpoint on this. Is Hell reserved for the most wicked or does anyone who does not believe in Jesus in this life goto hell?

lauraviv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
✟15,205.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I do not believe that Hell is part of God's design. As the devil is a fallen angel, he was originally created by God. Angels have free will just as we do, and the devil along with an estimated 1/3 of the angels sinned against God and were banished from heaven. It was the devil's choice to sin and not God's plan.

Upvote 0
J

Jazer

1/3 of the angels sinned against God and were banished from heaven. It was the devil's choice to sin and not God's plan.
The work God did in Israel was a shadow and a type of the work that God is now doing in the world and though the Gentile Church. We know that God will bring 1/3 through the fire and that one third will be purified and saved. It is interesting how 1/3 of the people will be redeemed and take their place with 2/3 of the angels that never rebelled and remained with God.

Zechariah 13:9 And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It [is] my people: and they shall say, The LORD [is] my God.

Upvote 0

William II

Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job.
Mar 13, 2012
Washington, D.C.
✟16,019.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not sure on the official UCC views on Hell/Satan...but as far as I've understood it, Hell isn't a physical place. It's the state of being away from God.

I'll go ahead and make the disclaimer: I'm no theologian. But if your soul is not close to God, that sounds pretty Hellish to me.

Reactions: AntiFL
Upvote 0

camethodactor

Sep 21, 2007
Claremont, CA
✟15,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Green
Me and my fiance are two of many Christian Universalist voices in the United Church of Christ (UCC). Some of my brothers and sisters in Christ have sympathies towards universalism even though they don't embrace it, others are Calvinists (ala Jonathan Edwards) or Arminians and other views in between. Like the Episcopal Church we are a big tent tradition.

Upvote 0

1Romans20

Apr 4, 2012
✟15,172.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Hello. I'm new to this forum and to the UCC. I am conservative and I tend to be an Evangelical Apologist. My view on Hell as I understand it, is that it is a real spiritual state of existence after biological death. It is total separation from the presence of God. In 1 John 1:5, God is described as light:

"This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all." - 1 John 1:5

God is also described as love:

"7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love." - 1 John 4:7-8

So from these verses and from testimonies of people who have had Near Death Experiences (NDEs) we can be sure that this is true.

Now since God is both light and love, so then must be Heaven. Following this logic, we can then determine that hell is separation from God. There will be no light nor any love at all. With love, especially God's love, we can feel the presence of love. When we feel lonely, we are not aware of love. In many NDEs, people report a hyper state of existence, as if this life is only a dream, and the next life is the reality. If this is indeed the case, then love in Heaven must be much more intense and joyous than anything we can know here on Earth.The opposite must also be true of hell. The loneliness and darkness must be absolutely terrifying and a place of deep regret and anguish. I believe that the anguish that is felt there is the hyper awareness that we failed. People in hell will feel an intense sense of failure and shame for allowing their egos and passions for Earthly pleasures to dominate their lives. It will be this intense sense of failure that will cause much anguish and gnashing of teeth.

We must logically conclude that God did indeed send Jesus into the world as an atonement for our sins. Jesus was God in the flesh among us, and so he would have knowledge of a place or state of existence known as hell. Jesus, more than anyone else in the New Testament mentioned hell. Because God can't lie, and wouldn't send anyone to us who would lie (remember that Jesus was blameless) we must accept that such a place or state of existence really does exist. I know that this is just speculation on my part, but no matter what hell is, I don't want to experience it.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Is God the ruler of hell or did God create the Devil to reign over hell?"

God, of course. God Created it, and He's the only who - When he has killed, can cast into hell. The devil and his people want nothing to DO with hell - it's not their "kingdom" - it's their PUNISHMENT!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KNOWLEDGE BOMB

Jun 6, 2013
The suncoast
✟818.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Is God the ruler of hell or did God create the Devil to reign over hell?
Rev 2:18 Jesus has the Keys to death and hell.
Rev 20:3 Satan is bound in bottomless pit
Rev 20:10 satan Antichrist and false prophet are tormented in the lake of fire
Rev 20:14 both Death and Hell are cast into the lake of fire which is the final resting place.... Well not resting

Upvote 0

KNOWLEDGE BOMB

Jun 6, 2013
The suncoast
✟818.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My UCC Pastor teaches us that no person can determine who will go to hell, that this judgement is God's alone. Therefore, we cannot make any statement concerning who will or will not go to heaven or hell.

Your pastor is incorrect - the bible teaches that salvation is Grace Through Faith - faith in Christ alone - so we know those who do not have first off Christ as savior will wake to eternal shame.... Daniel 12:1-2

Everyones name that's NOT written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.... Rev 20:15. (20:11-15)
and again at Rev 21:27

There is NO REMISSION of SIN without the blood of Christ - Heb 9:22

I AM the WAY the TRUTH and the LIGHT and NO ONE comes to the Father but by ME - without Christ the bible is clear you spend forever in the lake of fire....

The Good news of the Gospel is Christ crucified!

Your pastor does not a shepard make

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ohiodude

Jan 7, 2007
✟7,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your pastor is incorrect

Let us not be too quick to judge. This pastor is just misinterpreted. Though we know who makes it to heaven and hell by faith, and those without, give this pastor some credit. After all he would not lead a church if God had not called him to do so. However there is err in his teaching it is because he is slightly confused for even Jesus said "father forgive them for they know not what they do". What this persons pastor really means is that you should not judge another of whether or not someone is going to heaven or hell because it is fruitless for a man to dwell on the fate of others, nor does it profit a man to do so. Time is better spent being always anxious to be a servant and let the wicked do wickedness, for he will judge them. Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord. Amen brother?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums