JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's as acceptable as someone swearing on the bible or, in the case of a Humanist or atheist, they'd affirm rather than swear on any holy book.

Why is this news in a country where freedom of religion is the first inalienable right.
I don't think it is. This is the only place I've heard of it.

Upvote 0

AnonymousRain

Dec 5, 2015
London
✟15,965.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I don't think it is. This is the only place I've heard of it.
I think the reaction in the comments section of the linked article is what was hoped for here and that's why it was posted.
I didn't read those comments . The OP forewarning was enough of a warning not to.

It's a shame really. People hope to incite ridicule in a community that should be committed to peace and respect for people.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The issue should not be what she swears on or even if she should swear, but the content of her character and her ability to leave her religion behind when dealing with the public.

Agree.

The only thing that matters, is the agreement to uphold the constitution.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, she's Muslim. It's not surprising she'd want to be sworn in on a Quran. Personally, I wouldn't even be sworn in on a bible. Swearing oaths is against my religion.
What happens if anyone refuses to swear on an holy religious book?

Jer 12:16
And it shall come to pass, if they will diligently learn the ways of My people, to swear by My name, ‘As the LORD lives,' even as they taught my people to swear by Baal,
then they shall be built up in the midst of My people.

Jas 5:12
But above all, my brothers, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath,
but let your “yes” be yes and your “no” be no, so that you may not fall under condemnation.

Bizarro+comics+compilation_8ef869_5294285.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What happens if anyone refuses to swear on an holy religious book?

Jer 12:16
And it shall come to pass, if they will diligently learn the ways of My people, to swear by My name, ‘As the LORD lives,' even as they taught my people to swear by Baal,
then they shall be built up in the midst of My people.

Jas 5:12
But above all, my brothers, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath,
but let your “yes” be yes and your “no” be no, so that you may not fall under condemnation.

Bizarro+comics+compilation_8ef869_5294285.jpg

I think they then pick their favorite cook book.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know why we're swearing people in on any sort of holy book...

To me, that's a far worse violation of separation of church and state than most things people complain about.

If people get bent out of shape about pictures and crosses, the idea that a person who's going to be in charge of interpreting our constitution is going to be swearing in on a religious book should be more concerning you'd think...

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know why we're swearing people in on any sort of holy book...

To me, that's a far worse violation of separation of church and state than most things people complain about.

If people get bent out of shape about pictures and crosses, the idea that a person who's going to be in charge of interpreting our constitution is going to be swearing in on a religious book should be more concerning you'd think...

Technically, it appears to be against separation of church and state to do so and really, the same applies to putting "in God we trust" on money.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Technically, it appears to be against separation of church and state to do so and really, the same applies to putting "in God we trust" on money.

...agreed.

I don't necessarily understand the selective outrage that happens over the separation of church and state issues.

Pictures/Iconography/etc... seems to spark the most outrage among certain people. I think to myself "that's the one you're going to get bent out of shape about???, there's far worse examples occurring"

Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

in accordance with Christ
Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's presumption that's at the key here. People think that others who may may be dishonest will not be dishonest with God, simply because they hold a book they may not hold any value in. It's as scripted as a play and lacks everything those who utter these oaths lack.

Upvote 0