TX police officer charged with murder after shooting unarmed Black man

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Texas officer charged with murder after shooting a 31-year-old Black man who tried to intervene in a dispute, attorney says
A Texas police officer stands charged with murder in the shooting of a 31-year-old Black man after a preliminary investigation determined his actions were unreasonable, authorities said.

Wolfe City officer Shaun Lucas responded to a call about a possible fight after 8 p.m. Saturday, just north of the city center, the Texas Department of Public Safety said.
Price was intervening in a domestic dispute before he was shot, Merritt said. "Mr. Price did not become violent, but there was a male who was aggressive towards a woman," he said.

"He intervened, and the situation was resolved before law enforcement arrived, according to witnesses," the attorney said. "Why this officer still felt the need to Tase and shoot Jonathan is beyond comprehension."

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
This is good news. A question that still has not been answered in any story that I've seen so far:

Was the other guy he was fighting with white? I'm almost willing to bet money that he was. Not that it would really make a difference in this case, but it would put a huge asterisk on the incident.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,032.00
Faith
Atheist
This is good news. A question that still has not been answered in any story that I've seen so far:

Was the other guy he was fighting with white? I'm almost willing to bet money that he was. Not that it would really make a difference in this case, but it would put a huge asterisk on the incident.
From the linked article (about 1/2 way down):
Price was intervening in a domestic dispute before he was shot, Merritt said. "Mr. Price did not become violent, but there was a male who was aggressive towards a woman," he said.

"He intervened, and the situation was resolved before law enforcement arrived, according to witnesses," the attorney said. "Why this officer still felt the need to Tase and shoot Jonathan is beyond comprehension."
Not only was Price not fighting with anyone, whatever was happening was over before the police even arrived.

ETA: So far, I haven't found an article indicating whether the domestic dispute participants were even still around (nor their degree of melanin).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ETA: So far, I haven't found an article indicating whether the domestic dispute participants were even still around (nor their degree of melanin).
I read somewhere that the couple was white; but I don't know if that was factual or someone assuming.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
From the linked article (about 1/2 way down):Not only was Price not fighting with anyone, whatever was happening was over before the police even arrived.

That's insane. I really hope they throw the book at that cop.

Upvote 0