Not open for further replies.

ejgsmalls

Sep 14, 2005
✟545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone - I have two things I would like to ask you all about, but I don't exactly want to make two thread, so I'll just put them both on here.

So,I have this friend who recently has gotten her faith back. She's catholic also, so I like to go to church with her. So anyway,last night we were talking about confession, and I was saying how I needed to go again and she said she had to also. She then confided in me that she committed a sin that she knows is wrong and is sorry for it because of that, but she doesn't regret it and would like to do it again. (Ha - y'all probably know what I am talking about.) And then she asked me if she should even go to confession at all. I didn't know how to answer her because I mean, well, you are supposed to confess all sins, but work to not commit that sin again, yes? So, I just felt kind of bad, I'm not sure what to say to her. Part of me wants to talk to her and try to convince her as to why she should give up this sin, but I don't know. Would y'all mind praying for her?

...I was raised catholic, but around the time that my class was making their confirmation, I started having doubts. I didn't want to be confirmed because I didn't completely understand or believe then. Anyway, obviously, I figured everything out. And I've been thinking and praying about it a lot. I really really love the catholic faith. Is it still possible for me to get confirmed? Thanks

God Bless and Bless God,
~Mary

Servant4Yeshuah

Nov 29, 2005
Seville, Spain
✟1,193.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ejgsmalls said:
Hello everyone - I have two things I would like to ask you all about, but I don't exactly want to make two thread, so I'll just put them both on here.

So,I have this friend who recently has gotten her faith back. She's catholic also, so I like to go to church with her. So anyway,last night we were talking about confession, and I was saying how I needed to go again and she said she had to also. She then confided in me that she committed a sin that she knows is wrong and is sorry for it because of that, but she doesn't regret it and would like to do it again. (Ha - y'all probably know what I am talking about.) And then she asked me if she should even go to confession at all. I didn't know how to answer her because I mean, well, you are supposed to confess all sins, but work to not commit that sin again, yes? So, I just felt kind of bad, I'm not sure what to say to her. Part of me wants to talk to her and try to convince her as to why she should give up this sin, but I don't know. Would y'all mind praying for her?

...I was raised catholic, but around the time that my class was making their confirmation, I started having doubts. I didn't want to be confirmed because I didn't completely understand or believe then. Anyway, obviously, I figured everything out. And I've been thinking and praying about it a lot. I really really love the catholic faith. Is it still possible for me to get confirmed? Thanks

God Bless and Bless God,
~Mary
Dear Mary
Keep praying for your friend. Perhaps the kind of confession she should have is one where she is able to sit down and talk with the priest face to face. It is not unusual to desire to sin again...most the the time the fact that something is pleasurable is the very reason we sin in the first place. Keep praying for her and encouraging her to seek help to not sin again...but if she stumbles, continue to be a friend to her and help her to get up again. Prayer avails much, so keep praying that she will want to stop that particular sin. God is able to change her heart.

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
ejgsmalls said:

Welcome. :)

We will absolutely pray for your friend! :angel: The best thing for her to do though is probably to make an appointment with a spiritual director or priest and talk to them about this problem. :) It sounds like she needs a bit of moral guidance in addition to the Sacrament. You might think of getting her some good Catholic literature dealing with this specific problem and just letting her read and absorb it for herself rather than trying to convince her in your own words.

An another note...I was raised catholic, but around the time that my class was being confirmed, I started having doubts. I didn't want to be confirmed because I didn't completely understand or believe then. Anyway, obviously, I figured everything out. And I've been thinking and praying about it a lot. I really really love the catholic faith. Is it still possible for me to get confirmed? Thanks

Of course you can. :hug: Call your parish and make an appointment with the priest. Because of your background it may be possible for you to be confirmed with the RCIA class at Easter. Or even earlier. :thumbsup:

God Bless and Bless God,
~Mary

Peace be with you, Mary!

Sandy

Upvote 0

3toraiseup

Kati
Apr 2, 2004
Arizona
✟1,886.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Mary, :wave:

Welcome back to the Church! As ZooMom recommended, the easiest route back to full fellowship is to contact the RCIA ministry at your parish. They will guide your steps toward confirmation. Meanwhile, if you have any further questions about Catholicism, you'll find good Catholic answers and good Catholic friendship here in OBOB.

As for your concerns about your friend and the sin she doesn't regret: I would advise you to tell her to pray about it and offer to pray for her as well. God can change her heart and the first step toward reconciliation is to begin a relationship with Him. The more she wants to know God, the more she will desire to turn from sin to be with Him.

Let us know how things progress with RCIA. :)

Upvote 0

ejgsmalls

Sep 14, 2005
✟545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would love to contact the RCIA...the only problem is, that I am at college, and I attend a catholic church, but I know absolutely no one...and I am planning on transfering to a different college next year, so I am not sure I want to get confirmed here. Do you think it would be stupid to wait until I transfer, or should I just go ahead and get confirmed now?

Thanks, everyone.

God Bless and Bless God,
~Mary

Upvote 0

hsilgne

Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
ejgsmalls said:
So,I have this friend who recently has gotten her faith back. She's catholic also, ...
talking about confession, and I was saying how I needed to go again and she said she had to also. She then confided in me that she committed a sin that she knows is wrong and is sorry for it .... but she doesn't regret it... And then she asked me if she should even go to confession at all.

Great advice in this thread. What an awesome place!

I think your friend is going through a "confusing" stage in her life right now, which is normal, especially after coming back to Christ. The good thing though is that she is being convicted, by the Holy Spirit, of her wrong doing. Our life with Christ is a journey. As we journey and remain faithfull to Christ, we gain strength and are better able to deal with our sins and hopefully remove the sin totally from ourselves. It is not easy for any of us. I struggle with many sins. With that said, personally speaking, I gain a HUGE amount of faith and strength every time I receive the sacrament of Reconciliation. Urge her to go, even if she thinks it is pointless. The fact is, it is not pointless and she WILL gain strength from it.

I will pray for the both of you as well.

ejgsmalls said:
Part of me wants to talk to her and try to convince her as to why she should give up this sin, but I don't know.

My feeling is that she already knows it's wrong from what you have stated previously. Love her, listen to her, support her, pray for her and urge her to goto confession. The Holy Spirit will take care of the rest.:amen:

God bless you Mary!

Peace.

[/quote]

Upvote 0

BillH

Be not afraid!
Apr 3, 2005
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
✟27,958.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
ejgsmalls said:
I would love to contact the RCIA...the only problem is, that I am at college, and I attend a catholic church, but I know absolutely no one...and I am planning on transfering to a different college next year, so I am not sure I want to get confirmed here. Do you think it would be stupid to wait until I transfer, or should I just go ahead and get confirmed now?

Thanks, everyone.

God Bless and Bless God,
~Mary

Hi Mary :wave:

FWIW, I went through RCIA the year before I graduated from college, then picked up and moved clear across the country. So, it's certainly possible. And then, once I got to my new place, kind of being "officially" on board with the church helped me to get involved in my parish there and meet people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.