Two points on marriage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
To atomweaver,
It should be as it’s the fact.
What is your problem with it? If marriage is not the result of having two sexes, why have two sexes male and female? In what way it is different from a best friendship otherwise?
Under this logic, all marriages should be interracial, why else have multiple races?
Why should it, what has that got to do with the fact that same sex partnerships cant even raise children.

Not only is that not a fact, it is easily demonstratively false.
That’s like saying even though I am not a woman I am going to demand that a woman does all that a man can before I can accept they are a woman.
There are extremely few things one sex can do that the other cannot.

Reactions: atomweaver
Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, the purpose of a Christian marriage is the avoidance of sin.

Paul makes it quite clear in 1 Corinthians 7:1 Now concerning the things of which you wrote to me:
It is good for a man not to touch a woman. 2 Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband. 3 Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5 Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 But I say this as a concession, not as a commandment. 7 For I wish that all men were even as I myself. But each one has his own gift from God, one in this manner and another in that.
8 But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am; 9 but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
---

children, of course, are a loving byproduct of the marriage.We are to, of course, be fruitful and multiply.

Homosexuality is a sin and an unnatural union. Heterosexual marriage is not just for a sense of procreation but more than that it is for us to not burn with passion and to be able to walk righteously in God's way by not giving ourselves over to sexual immorality.

I hope that helped answer your question.

[sarcasm]Yeah, God DID make a HUGE mistake with this sex business. Good thing that He has good Christians around to fix His mistakes! [/sarcasm]

Paul, like many others throughout history, felt himself called to celibacy. His statement was that he wished everyone were, but for those who are not so called, the proper thing to do is to marry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,780.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a sidenote:

Romantic love is a myth and does not exist and people who base their marriage on a concept of romantic love often see divorce.

You cannot simply think of your marriage as being solely about this odd, incorrect concept of marriage.

Then I live in Myth quite a bit.

Reactions: atomweaver
Upvote 0

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As a sidenote:

Romantic love is a myth and does not exist and people who base their marriage on a concept of romantic love often see divorce.

You cannot simply think of your marriage as being solely about this odd, incorrect concept of marriage.

Actually I'm quite sure it exist, just the shelf-life of said love is much shorter than generally believed. :p

Upvote 0

atomweaver

Nov 3, 2006
"Flat Raccoon", Connecticut
✟10,391.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually I'm quite sure it exist, just the shelf-life of said love is much shorter than generally believed. :p

Mine's still goin' strong after 16 years. ;) Thing about that beast; you and your spouse have got to feed it a highly varied diet, including mutual respect, friendship, communication, teamwork, commitment, and crazy-mad rock the house sex, in order for romance to live a long, healthy life.

Reactions: FlamingFemme
Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Romantic love's shelf life is low, we say.

But isn't this also true:

There is no such thing as someone who was meant for you; you will experience romantic "love" for many people in your life.

My greatest criticism of love is that it is not an exclusive emotion and it is easily conjured up in the brain and in the heart; if one is sexually attracted to someone and finds their personality and character to be in line with their own, it is quite easy to "fall in love."

How stupid to base anything off of this.

Has a fundimentalist ever been on the non losing side of an argument.
I guess when that happens they cease being a fundimentalist.

Your statement is odd.

You would always believe a fundamentalist is on hte losing side of the argument because you have already dismissed their views.

You know what I mean?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

atomweaver

Nov 3, 2006
"Flat Raccoon", Connecticut
✟10,391.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Romantic love's shelf life is low, we say.

But isn't this also true:

There is no such thing as someone who was meant for you; you will experience romantic "love" for many people in your life.

Hah! You know its not a myth! :D Sorry for the smug factor, but this just made my day...

[My greatest criticism of love is that it is not an exclusive emotion and it is easily conjured up in the brain and in the heart; if one is sexually attracted to someone and finds their personality and character to be in line with their own, it is quite easy to "fall in love."

How stupid to base anything off of this.
Yep. WHich is why smart people don't rush into marriage; they learn first whether they can be friends, be committed to one another, and be physically compatible, among other things.

Your statement is odd.

You would always believe a fundamentalist is on hte losing side of the argument because you have already dismissed their views.

You know what I mean?
True, that... Even a blind nut can find a squirrel every once in a while... ;)

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I would tend to agree in that it´s hard (but not impossible) to reconcile romantic love and marriage. I don´t, however, see how this allows for the conclusion that romantic love is a myth.

On another note, if I am to believe the stats, people who base their marriage on religious concepts see divorce just as much.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.