Two Americans share their stories about living the religious life in the Holy Land...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On the day when the Church celebrates the World Day for Consecrated Life, CNA met with two Americans who followed God into religious life and now live out their vocations in the Holy Land.

Father Peter Vasko, a Franciscan friar of the Custody of the Holy Land, and Sister Naomi Zimmermann, a member of the Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist, a congregation born in the United States 50 years ago, both live in Jerusalem and continue to say “yes” to the Lord through the works entrusted to them.

“I had all that I wanted — girlfriends, money, a good job, I traveled around the world — and one day I just said: Life is very empty,” Vasko told CNA. He said he began spending some weekends at a Trappist monastery.

“One day I asked the Lord, “show me what you want me to do.’ I picked up a Bible — it was the Jerusalem Bible — and I saw the five crusaders cross [the symbol of the Custody of the Holy Land]. I knelt down and I just started crying, because in that moment I knew what the Lord wanted.”

Continued below.