Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
“Too big to fail” has turned into “too big to NOT be regulated by our government”, (for some reason).
One wonders why we have to have the government being the discerner of Truth?
Isn’t this a complaint of our Conservative brethren?, “we don’t trust ‘the government to tell us the Truth!”, but the Government is fine making sure Twitter’s “honest”.

This a-here is nothing more than plain old-fashioned Doublethink, a fine example to boot!
What? The government used taxpayer resources for political purposes, perpetrating a fraud on the American people. So the government employees need to be prosecuted, jailed, and have to pay back the taxpayer money plus damages. In the case of social media, pretending a commenter has the wrong number of likes on a comment, such as they did with Trump, is misrepresentation. It's not a difference of opinion, it would be like a counter of votes reporting the wrong numbers, or the NY Times Bestseller List falsely reporting actual sales numbers.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
That Twitter can ban a post or person is well known. That is not the news. But a private company, whether it be a social media company or the New York Times, can be held liable for consequences of misrepresentation. Not for getting something wrong and when finding out making a correction, but deliberate misrepresentation.
No. Not presenting one side's opinions or arguments or whatever, which is what Twitter is being accused of, is not misrepresentation. It's censoring and private companies can do it all they want. Otherwise Fox News, The Federalist, The Washington Times and all the other right-wing propaganda sites would have been ran through the legal wringer. No one has to give anyone a platform to speak except the government who must treat everyone equally. That's the essence of the first amendment. I know the Right doesn't actually like that amendment because they start counting at 2, but it's there.

If a tweet truly misrepresents something such that it harms the individual that is the subject of a tweet then we already have laws and remedies for for that and it doesn't involve Congress unless they are the explicitly injured party and it's a steep hill to climb to prove it.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
pretending a commenter has the wrong number of likes on a comment, such as they did with Trump, is misrepresentation.
Wait. Are you being serious right now?

• Optimistic
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
What? The government used taxpayer resources for political purposes, perpetrating a fraud on the American people. So the government employees need to be prosecuted, jailed, and have to pay back the taxpayer money plus damages. In the case of social media, pretending a commenter has the wrong number of likes on a comment, such as they did with Trump, is misrepresentation. It's not a difference of opinion, it would be like a counter of votes reporting the wrong numbers, or the NY Times Bestseller List falsely reporting actual sales numbers.
If you could be so kind and tell me where I can find information corroborating this “fraud”, I would thank ye.
Also, if you’re relying on the “Hatch Act”, don’t.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If you could be so kind and tell me where I can find information corroborating this “fraud”, I would thank ye.
Also, if you’re relying on the “Hatch Act”, don’t.
The government was aware that the Hunter Biden laptop was real, they had the data in their possession, and decided to perpetrate the lie that it was Russian disinformation in order to get Joe Biden elected as president. I think the first step will be Congress investigating and hopefully the House can see the FBI is defunded until action is taken to arrest and prosecute the perpetrators.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The government was aware that the Hunter Biden laptop was real, they had the data in their possession, and decided to perpetrate the lie that it was Russian disinformation in order to get Joe Biden elected as president. I think the first step will be Congress investigating and hopefully the House can see the FBI is defunded until action is taken to arrest and prosecute the perpetrators.
If it should turn out that the “Hunter Biden laptop” isn’t “real”, how different would the Government’s reaction to it, look?
Maybe they took no action because none was warranted?

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If it should turn out that the “Hunter Biden laptop” isn’t “real”, how different would the Government’s reaction to it, look?
Maybe they took no action because none was warranted?
What are you talking about? The laptop is indeed Hunter's, the hoax has been exposed.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That Twitter can ban a post or person is well known. That is not the news. But a private company, whether it be a social media company or the New York Times, can be held liable for consequences of misrepresentation.
So it would follow that they would be well within their rights to remove posts which have, say, misrepresentations of the dangers of covid vaccines, to pick an example at random.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
“Too big to fail” has turned into “too big to NOT be regulated by our government”, (for some reason).
One wonders why we have to have the government being the discerner of Truth?
Isn’t this a complaint of our Conservative brethren?, “we don’t trust ‘the government to tell us the Truth!”, but the Government is fine making sure Twitter’s “honest”.

This a-here is nothing more than plain old-fashioned Doublethink, a fine example to boot!
In the interest of evenhandedness...

Both sides have engaged in both doublethink and doublespeak on this subject.

All of the arguments both for and against Twitter being subject to regulation have been made by both sides, conditionally, based on who's running Twitter at the time.

All of the "they're a private company, if you don't like it, go make your own Twitter or find another platform" arguments have been made by both sides...again, conditionally, based on who's in charge.

Both sides have tried have both tried to downplay the impact of mega social media outlets, and amplify and highlight how influential they are (sometimes in the same week) depending on whatever the issue du jour happens to be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,795.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
It heavily favours truth, and disfavours dangerous misinformation, discrimination, calls to violence....
The USA political right doesn't have to hang its hat on dangerous misinformation, discrimination, calls to violence....
Instead the USA right can talk truth and can talk about conservative policies. Those blacklists aren't labelling people as being right leaning.

I believe you're slightly partisan in that assessment. The "left" if you would allow me that categorization are also full of dangerous misinformation, discrimination and calls to violence. Old Twitter is full of people who identifies with the "left" doing the exact same thing people who identifies with the "right". Yet most extreme "left" are allowed to continue while the "right" got moderated to put it lightly. One need not take too much effort to even search for such "lefty" tweets to start seeing a pattern. I have seen it myself not just on "Rightwing" news but actually go to the original tweet to confirm.

Just in case you're unaware of my nation of origin, I'm not American. And I have no liking for both left and right of American politics. I can see the bias and patterns of favoritism where those who are partisan can't or won't want to. I don't believe in the "my side has the moral right" nonsense when all I see are hypocrisy. With love an average Malaysian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I believe you're slightly partisan in that assessment. The "left" if you would allow me that categorization are also full of dangerous misinformation, discrimination and calls to violence. Old Twitter is full of people who identifies with the "left" doing the exact same thing people who identifies with the "right". Yet most extreme "left" are allowed to continue while the "right" got moderated to put it lightly. One need not take too much effort to even search for such "lefty" tweets to start seeing a pattern. I have seen it myself not just on "Rightwing" news but actually go to the original tweet to confirm.

Just in case you're unaware of my nation of origin, I'm not American. And I have no liking for both left and right of American politics. I can see the bias and patterns of favoritism where those who are partisan can't or won't want to. I don't believe in the "my side has the moral right" nonsense when all I see are hypocrisy. With love an average Malaysian.
I'm not an American either. I am socially liberal and fiscally conservative. Tending more to the political right than the left.
I don't however support insurrections, or violence or bigotry.
I'd be keen to hear what you think is the "left's" equivalent of the insurrection and what you think is the left's equivalent of the anti-mask, anti vaccine, anti science propaganda during a deadly global pandemic?

• Optimistic
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Say it aint so

Jun 19, 2020
Seattle
✟118,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Social media is a big part of the U.S. infrastructure, with Twitter a major player. This is systemic fraud which altered the results of elections. The fascists involved must be brought to justice.
"This is systemic fraud which altered the results of elections."

Good grief.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Twitter Account Tracking Elon Musk’s Private Jet Gets Shadow Banned

Internal company messages shared with Sweeney by an “anonymous Twitter employee” reflected that the @elonjet account had been “visibility limited/restricted to a severe degree” beginning Dec. 2. A screenshot of what he claimed was an internal Slack channel showed Ella Irwin, the person appointed to replace Yoel Roth as Twitter’s new head of trust and safety, asking a “Team” to “please apply heavy VF to @elonjet immediately.”

1670969039999.png

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Twitter Account Tracking Elon Musk’s Private Jet Gets Shadow Banned

Internal company messages shared with Sweeney by an “anonymous Twitter employee” reflected that the @elonjet account had been “visibility limited/restricted to a severe degree” beginning Dec. 2. A screenshot of what he claimed was an internal Slack channel showed Ella Irwin, the person appointed to replace Yoel Roth as Twitter’s new head of trust and safety, asking a “Team” to “please apply heavy VF to @elonjet immediately.”

View attachment 324910
Would tracking and publishing someone's whereabouts (to others who have potentially malicious intent) be adjacent to doxxing?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

That seems like a bad idea for a number of reasons

Although, I guess the benefit of being a P or VP (that other rich people wouldn't have) is that even if people know where you are, you've got top notch security and an air force at your disposal waiting to shoot down anything that may be coming your way.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
That seems like a bad idea for a number of reasons

Although, I guess the benefit of being a P or VP (that other rich people wouldn't have) is that even if people know where you are, you've got top notch security and an air force at your disposal waiting to shoot down anything that may be coming your way.

Other rich people?
https://twitter.com/SportJets

As for Elon:

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Yeah, but I was saying that other rich people don't have the US air force waiting to shoot down anything suspicious and don't have secret service.

Trump obviously does being a former president.

I guess I just find it odd that people (who could have a target on their back) have social media channels dedicated to showing their whereabouts.

Seems sketchy

I guess this is one of the few instances where I'm glad I'm not rich/famous.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Musk bans all accounts of the jet tracking dude

• "All of my Twitter accounts have been banned. Even my personal make sure to stay connected with me," Sweeney wrote on Mastodon.
  • He also posted a screenshot that showed he was suspended for violating "rules against platform manipulation and spam."

1671143885573.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,556.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Who follows twitter for news or to know whom to vote for though?
Wouldn't you go directly to either news sites or candidate sites?

Oh I've got the answer for you.

About seven-in-ten Twitter users get news on the site …
News plays a prominent role on Twitter. Overall, 23% of Americans use Twitter, and roughly seven-in-ten U.S. Twitter users (69%) say they get news on the site, according to a new Pew Research Center study that surveyed 2,548 Twitter users from May 17 to 31, 2021.

Upvote 0