✟30,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Divorced
Blessed (Makarios) does not mean Happy!
One of the things that must always be kept in the forefront of the mind when studying Scripture is that the meanings and definitions of original words in Scripture have not changed. English is very fluid, and many words have changed meanings over time.
Anger: Grief or sorrow.
Silly: Blessed with worthiness.
Flux: Diarrhea, dysentery.
Fudge: Lies and nonsense.
Leech: Doctor or healer.
Cute: Sharp, quick-witted.
Nice: Silly, naive, simple-minded.
Awful: Worthy of awe.
Clue: Ball of yarn.
Haughty: Having nothing, poor.
Hussy: Mistress of a household, housewife.
Hell: To cover.

Happy: Lucky, luck, fortunate.

Scripture was not written in English, nor with our culture in mind. Culture determines the meaning of words used in that culture. According to Dictionary.com, the first use of the word " happy " comes from around 1350. It comes from Middle English and combines the word hap, meaning "a person's luck or lot," and the suffix -y, meaning "characterized by." The word hap comes from the Old Norse "happ," meaning "luck" or "chance."
The word arose from people groups not in existence during Bible times and having cultures not even remotely related or similar to any Semitic culture in the Middle East in the period Scripture was recorded, separated by time, distance, culture, way of life, and thought process.
What is our cultural meaning of the word "happy?" Happy is an emotional sensation derived from the gratification of sensual appetites, which render a person temporarily "happy." A feeling of great pleasure, ecstatic, elated, jubilant, overjoyed, bliss.
Happiness is an emotion! It describes a "feeling," not a state of being. All emotions result from a chemical reaction in the brain resulting from some stimulus, words, actions, or thoughts. If an engaged couple is spending time in a park, having a nice picnic, with perfect weather and no current strife in the relationship, they will both "feel" happy. What if an unexpected sudden storm occurs, and they are soaked by a deluge of rain and pelted with hail before they can even pack up their things? By the time they get into the car, they are both completely soaked (How uncomfortable is that?) Is the couple still "happy?" Or what if, during their time together, a nasty argument happens? Will they still be happy?
People don't change how they "feel" by making a conscious choice. If you spend the day with family or friends, and it is a pleasant experience, you can't or wouldn't decide that you will now feel depressed because you want to feel depressed. If during the enjoyable time together, you did become depressed, it would be the result of some stimulus, not because of a decision to change your emotional mood.
If a husband is going home to his wife after a tough work day, his emotional state will depend on the reception he will expect from his wife. If the marriage is going well and he knows that she will be glad to see him, greet him with a big hug and kiss, he will feel great. If, on the other hand, he knows that as soon as he steps through the door, he will be met with silence or that an ongoing argument will pick up again, he will not feel "good" about getting home. Chances are good that he will feel dread or frustration about getting home.
Emotions are a "state of how you feel," not a "state of being." Emotions happen; they cannot be created by desire or will. No emotional state can be sustained! Emotions are a part of life, not life itself! We eat, breathe and sleep because they are necessary to live. We don't need to "feel" happy to live or use that to determine our quality of life.
I am writing at length about this because of the grotesque, unrealistic, unscriptural teaching that believers are "supposed" to be "happy" all the time! That, if you are a believer," You should walk around with a big smile on your face, regardless of what is going on!," "Jesus was the happiest man on earth," and the ricidiousless teaching that "God wants you to be happy." (I have heard many "pastors" teach this crap!) I wonder how many people have thought, "The "pastor," says I should always be happy, but I rarely feel happy. What is wrong with me? Am I not a believer?" Which creates a sense of fear and doubt among those sitting in the pews.
Where does Scripture teach this? Where is the book, chapter, or verse that states that God said, "I want you to be happy?" This ungodly lie isn't found in the pages of Scripture, rather it is from the "Traditions of Men." The "Traditions of Men" have created a dichotomy, the truth of Scripture versus the "false truth of men." As with all things connected to the "Traditions of Men," what is the source of this ugly teaching?
The idea that people are to be "happy," that " constant happiness" is something that cannot only be achieved but sustained over a lifetime, wasn't introduced to all of mankind before some extremely liberal "philosophers" introduced it to the world in the 1800s. This idea is actually quite old, beginning with Socrates, who taught that "happiness is actually obtainable through human effort." The philosophers teaching this was one of the results of Humanism that began in 14th century Italy. Humanism is a system of thought that attaches prime importance to humans rather than the divine. In other words, humans are at the center of the universe, the most important in all creation, and have the most importance, even over God. This is where the idea that God is here to serve man and that man's will is the most powerful force in the universe comes from. While no self-respecting "pastor" will ever blatantly speak that out loud, it is definitely implied by such statements as, "Give God permission to work in your life," "God wants to...," or "Invite Jesus into your life." (Meaning that a person has to give Jesus "permission" to "save him/her." That salvation is a gift offered to all people, but each individual has to "accept" the gift, in that each person is responsible for their salvation, completely taking away God's sovereignty over salvation.) Some put "man" on almost the same level as God, teaching that we are all "gods." They teach that "man" has the power to create things just by speaking words.
This "teaching" is a teaching that is held by the ungodly world, "Love not the world, nor the things of the world...," 1 John 2:15. Since the Evangelical/Christian "church" is a world religion, it only follows that the "church" will teach the things that the world believes, in order to get people of the world to join their "denomination." (A word not found in Scripture.)
According to Sweetwater now, "God wants you to be happy." The biblical word "makarios" means "supremely blessed" or "more than happy." Really? This is yet another blatant example of how the "doctrines" that come out of the "Traditions of Men" are things made up with no Scripture to support their "definitions."
According to Strong's Concordance and many other published reference works, the word for bless, "makarios" means: fortunate, well off. The other form of this word, "makarizo" means: to esteem fortunate. Am I missing something here? Nothing here about "happy," "supremely blessed," or "more than happy". Maybe the writer of this "definition" accidentally used the wrong Greek word? The other Greek words translated into "blessed" are:
eneulogeo: to confer a benefit, bless.
eulogeo: to invoke a benediction.
eulogetos: adorable, praised.

Isn't that interesting? None of the words used in Scripture has the meaning given by Sweetwaternow, which has only one conclusion, that the writers of the site either made up their own definitions or copied from others who made up their own definitions. Perhaps I'm still confused, and the site would tell me, "Well, joy is the same thing as happy." Okay, I'll look at the English word "joy" and list the Greek words translated into joy:
agalliasis: exultation, delight.
agalliao: to exult.
euphrosune: joyfulness, cheerfulness.
kaucaomai: glory in, rejoice in, to boast.
oninemi: to gratify, derive pleasure.
chalinagogeo: to curb, hold in check.
chara: calm delight, joy.
charis: gratitude, benefit given.

Sigh, I just don't find their definition in Scripture. None of the Greek words for joy are the same words used to mean "bless", (markarios). According to Scripture, not myself, neither of the English words "blessed" or "joy" means "happy!" I'm not unreasonable, folks. If you say, "Scripture teaches this or that", just show me where Scripture teaches this or that! If you show it to me in Scripture, I'll simply say, "Yep, you are correct; scripture does teach this or that."
Some will say, "So what is wrong with wanting to be happy?" Nothing except it is unrealistic, impossible to create on your own, and not sustainable. People want to be "happy" for the same reasons people do drugs or drink. While under the influence, the realities and problems of life are temporarily forgotten. These things are still in place when you come out from under the influence. Parents will say, "I just want my children to be happy." or individuals will say, "I just want to be happy." Why? Is being "happy" the apex of life, the acme? It is fine and dandy when a person is experiencing a period of happiness, they should enjoy it. It is like a honeymoon, a short period of great fun, but a period of time that will end. After it ends, it is back to reality.

There are five times you will find the English word "happy" in the N.T. Any E.C. People reading this, it is time to put on your logic and context cap, something you detest. The idea of being fortunate is that one is in a favorable situation, something that benefits you.

John 13:17 If you know these things, "happy" (makarios) are you if you do them.

How about, If you know these things, fortunate are you if you do them.

Acts 26:2, I think (consider) myself happy (makarios), king Agrippa, because I shall answer for myself...

Or, I consider myself fortunate because I (have the opportunity) to answer for myself...
Nobody "thinks" or "considers" themselves "happy," You are either happy about something or not. Did Paul do a quick inventory of his emotions and conclude, "I should be happy in this situation, so I'll think myself to be happy?"

James 5:11, Behold, we count them happy, (makarizo), which endure.

Behold, we count them blessed of God, which endure...

1Pet 3:14, But if you suffer for the sake of righteousness, happy (markarios) are you:

But if you suffer for the sake of righteousness, fortunate are you:

1Pet 4:14, If you are reproached for the name of Christ, happy are you.

If you are reproached for the name of Christ, you are fortunate.

Do you ever see Scripture portraying Jesus as "happy?" Do we see Jesus "happy" when he hung on the cross? Was Jesus "happy" when he went through his night of agony while praying to the Father before he was arrested in the garden? Was he smiling at Judas when he told Judas, "What you are about do, do quickly," John 13:27?
Where does Scripture show Jesus "smiling" or telling jokes, as some teach? Was John the Baptist "happy?" Jesus, Paul, James, Peter, and John spoke of joy. None of them spoke of being "happy." The fruits of the Spirit in Gal 5:22-23 are love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, and faithfulness. Nothing in the list about "happiness," which, by the way, is a word not found in Scripture. We find "joyfulness", "joyful", and "joyfully" in Scripture, but we do not find "happiness," or "happily" in Scripture. Isn't it strange that one of the pillars of the E.C. world is that believers are supposed to be "happy," but they cannot even show one verse that teaches this? What are believers instructed to seek? The kingdom, not happiness!

In Mat 5:3-11, the word blessed is always "makarios." Was Jesus teaching that believers are supposed to be "happy" when being persecuted or reviled by men? Feeling "happy" is an emotional response to some type of stimulus. If that were the case, Jesus would have said, "You will be happy when you are meek," or "You will be happy when men persecute you." All of the horrific torture, death, pain and persecution suffered by believers throughout history came at the hands of wicked people. Were these martyrs smiling, laughing and filled with elation as they were tortured, burnt at the stake or torn apart by wild beasts? Do you think that Jeremiah was telling jokes or saying to those who lowered him into the pit, "God loves you and so do I. God has a wonderful plan for your life. God will meet you where you are at, I forgive you." (Jer 38:6)

I will say it again, I post these studies to show what I have learned. I am not out to prove that I am right and others are wrong. I never expect or anticipate that anything I say will convince or persuade another to believe me. Do I believe what I post to be true? Of course! Do I expect any other person to believe what I say, because I wrote it? Of course not! I respond to very few replies for numerous reasons, one of the main ones is that "those who do something recognize those who don't." I study, and most of the replies are from people who don't study. I will not respond to those, it is pointless! I will answer any legitimate questions about what I believe. But my main point about replying to me is to address any of the verses I show, which those to whom I don't reply, never do. They will always find fault with my words, which mean nothing to me, but they will never address the verses I show. You can accuse me of being wrong as much as you want, but you can't argue with Scripture or say that Scripture is wrong, can you? You can't change word definitions, can you? Some think that showing me one, solitary verse completely contradicts the 10 or more verses I show in a study. This proves to me that you have no idea of the context of your single verse and that one of the favorite methods of false teaching, using only one verse as if that verse is the end of the discussion and presents all of the truth about any doctrine in Scripture, has been so prevalent, has so indoctrinated the people in the pews that they all now copy this.
It would be refreshing if somebody were to preface their reply with, "I don't agree with you and this is what I believe...and proceed to use verses to show why they believe what they do. I would be more favorable to responding to that type of reply. When I show the truth of what Scripture teaches, using Scripture, I get replies that basically say Scripture doesn't teach that. Or when I debunk a lie or false teaching, again using Scripture, I get replies telling me that what I proved to be wrong is actually true. To use the secular way of thinking, I have my "opinion" and you have yours. If these opinions differ, so be it. But please don't try to "convince" me that I am wrong. I post what I believe. No one is going to "convince" or "persuade" me of anything different. My only "goal," for a lack of another term, is that God has purposed me to do these studies and that those who are sheep, those who have a love of the truth and are searching for truth, will come across these studies and God will open their eyes to the truth, as He did for me.
1Cor 3:6-7, I have planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase. So then neither is he that planted anything (special, important, necessary) neither is he that waters; but it is God who increases the growth.

James 1:18 Of His own will, God begat (received birth from above, John 3:3, not "born again.") the believers with the word of truth.

Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this they were glad (not happy) ...and as many were ORDAINED to eternal life believed.

John 8:37, Whoever belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you don't belong to God.

1John 4:6, We are of God: he that knows God hears us, he that not of God does not hear us.

I was not blessed with a "photographic memory." But I know where and how to look things up. For any who are hungry for truth, these three books are must-reads;
The New Strong's Complete Dictionary of Bible Words. This is not the Strong's Concordance. The unique feature of this bible study tool is that it lists all of the English words in the KJV and shows the different Hebrew and Greek words that were translated into each specific English word. Truly an amazing tool. The only place I have been able to find it is at Thrift books. This is how I am able to show the different Hebrew and Greek words translated into any particular English word. I will always state that one of the most crucial parts of learning Scripture is to learn what the original words mean, to not simply trust and rely on that your preferred English translation is accurate.

Jewish Jesus, by David Hoffbrand.
Christian Fruit-Jewish Root, by John D Garr.
Both of these are available as printed copies or on Kindle.

We understand that "Experience is the best teacher." When it comes to learning Scripture, the best way to learn Scripture is when you learn it for yourself.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Blessed (Makarios) does not mean Happy!
One of the things that must always be kept in the forefront of the mind when studying Scripture is that the meanings and definitions of original words in Scripture have not changed. English is very fluid, and many words have changed meanings over time.
Anger: Grief or sorrow.
Silly: Blessed with worthiness.
Flux: Diarrhea, dysentery.
Fudge: Lies and nonsense.
Leech: Doctor or healer.
Cute: Sharp, quick-witted.
Nice: Silly, naive, simple-minded.
Awful: Worthy of awe.
Clue: Ball of yarn.
Haughty: Having nothing, poor.
Hussy: Mistress of a household, housewife.
Hell: To cover.

Happy: Lucky, luck, fortunate.

Scripture was not written in English, nor with our culture in mind. Culture determines the meaning of words used in that culture. According to Dictionary.com, the first use of the word " happy " comes from around 1350. It comes from Middle English and combines the word hap, meaning "a person's luck or lot," and the suffix -y, meaning "characterized by." The word hap comes from the Old Norse "happ," meaning "luck" or "chance."
The word arose from people groups not in existence during Bible times and having cultures not even remotely related or similar to any Semitic culture in the Middle East in the period Scripture was recorded, separated by time, distance, culture, way of life, and thought process.
What is our cultural meaning of the word "happy?" Happy is an emotional sensation derived from the gratification of sensual appetites, which render a person temporarily "happy." A feeling of great pleasure, ecstatic, elated, jubilant, overjoyed, bliss.
Happiness is an emotion! It describes a "feeling," not a state of being. All emotions result from a chemical reaction in the brain resulting from some stimulus, words, actions, or thoughts. If an engaged couple is spending time in a park, having a nice picnic, with perfect weather and no current strife in the relationship, they will both "feel" happy. What if an unexpected sudden storm occurs, and they are soaked by a deluge of rain and pelted with hail before they can even pack up their things? By the time they get into the car, they are both completely soaked (How uncomfortable is that?) Is the couple still "happy?" Or what if, during their time together, a nasty argument happens? Will they still be happy?
People don't change how they "feel" by making a conscious choice. If you spend the day with family or friends, and it is a pleasant experience, you can't or wouldn't decide that you will now feel depressed because you want to feel depressed. If during the enjoyable time together, you did become depressed, it would be the result of some stimulus, not because of a decision to change your emotional mood.
If a husband is going home to his wife after a tough work day, his emotional state will depend on the reception he will expect from his wife. If the marriage is going well and he knows that she will be glad to see him, greet him with a big hug and kiss, he will feel great. If, on the other hand, he knows that as soon as he steps through the door, he will be met with silence or that an ongoing argument will pick up again, he will not feel "good" about getting home. Chances are good that he will feel dread or frustration about getting home.
Emotions are a "state of how you feel," not a "state of being." Emotions happen; they cannot be created by desire or will. No emotional state can be sustained! Emotions are a part of life, not life itself! We eat, breathe and sleep because they are necessary to live. We don't need to "feel" happy to live or use that to determine our quality of life.
I am writing at length about this because of the grotesque, unrealistic, unscriptural teaching that believers are "supposed" to be "happy" all the time! That, if you are a believer," You should walk around with a big smile on your face, regardless of what is going on!," "Jesus was the happiest man on earth," and the ricidiousless teaching that "God wants you to be happy." (I have heard many "pastors" teach this crap!) I wonder how many people have thought, "The "pastor," says I should always be happy, but I rarely feel happy. What is wrong with me? Am I not a believer?" Which creates a sense of fear and doubt among those sitting in the pews.
Where does Scripture teach this? Where is the book, chapter, or verse that states that God said, "I want you to be happy?" This ungodly lie isn't found in the pages of Scripture, rather it is from the "Traditions of Men." The "Traditions of Men" have created a dichotomy, the truth of Scripture versus the "false truth of men." As with all things connected to the "Traditions of Men," what is the source of this ugly teaching?
The idea that people are to be "happy," that " constant happiness" is something that cannot only be achieved but sustained over a lifetime, wasn't introduced to all of mankind before some extremely liberal "philosophers" introduced it to the world in the 1800s. This idea is actually quite old, beginning with Socrates, who taught that "happiness is actually obtainable through human effort." The philosophers teaching this was one of the results of Humanism that began in 14th century Italy. Humanism is a system of thought that attaches prime importance to humans rather than the divine. In other words, humans are at the center of the universe, the most important in all creation, and have the most importance, even over God. This is where the idea that God is here to serve man and that man's will is the most powerful force in the universe comes from. While no self-respecting "pastor" will ever blatantly speak that out loud, it is definitely implied by such statements as, "Give God permission to work in your life," "God wants to...," or "Invite Jesus into your life." (Meaning that a person has to give Jesus "permission" to "save him/her." That salvation is a gift offered to all people, but each individual has to "accept" the gift, in that each person is responsible for their salvation, completely taking away God's sovereignty over salvation.) Some put "man" on almost the same level as God, teaching that we are all "gods." They teach that "man" has the power to create things just by speaking words.
This "teaching" is a teaching that is held by the ungodly world, "Love not the world, nor the things of the world...," 1 John 2:15. Since the Evangelical/Christian "church" is a world religion, it only follows that the "church" will teach the things that the world believes, in order to get people of the world to join their "denomination." (A word not found in Scripture.)
According to Sweetwater now, "God wants you to be happy." The biblical word "makarios" means "supremely blessed" or "more than happy." Really? This is yet another blatant example of how the "doctrines" that come out of the "Traditions of Men" are things made up with no Scripture to support their "definitions."
According to Strong's Concordance and many other published reference works, the word for bless, "makarios" means: fortunate, well off. The other form of this word, "makarizo" means: to esteem fortunate. Am I missing something here? Nothing here about "happy," "supremely blessed," or "more than happy". Maybe the writer of this "definition" accidentally used the wrong Greek word? The other Greek words translated into "blessed" are:
eneulogeo: to confer a benefit, bless.
eulogeo: to invoke a benediction.
eulogetos: adorable, praised.

Isn't that interesting? None of the words used in Scripture has the meaning given by Sweetwaternow, which has only one conclusion, that the writers of the site either made up their own definitions or copied from others who made up their own definitions. Perhaps I'm still confused, and the site would tell me, "Well, joy is the same thing as happy." Okay, I'll look at the English word "joy" and list the Greek words translated into joy:
agalliasis: exultation, delight.
agalliao: to exult.
euphrosune: joyfulness, cheerfulness.
kaucaomai: glory in, rejoice in, to boast.
oninemi: to gratify, derive pleasure.
chalinagogeo: to curb, hold in check.
chara: calm delight, joy.
charis: gratitude, benefit given.

Sigh, I just don't find their definition in Scripture. None of the Greek words for joy are the same words used to mean "bless", (markarios). According to Scripture, not myself, neither of the English words "blessed" or "joy" means "happy!" I'm not unreasonable, folks. If you say, "Scripture teaches this or that", just show me where Scripture teaches this or that! If you show it to me in Scripture, I'll simply say, "Yep, you are correct; scripture does teach this or that."
Some will say, "So what is wrong with wanting to be happy?" Nothing except it is unrealistic, impossible to create on your own, and not sustainable. People want to be "happy" for the same reasons people do drugs or drink. While under the influence, the realities and problems of life are temporarily forgotten. These things are still in place when you come out from under the influence. Parents will say, "I just want my children to be happy." or individuals will say, "I just want to be happy." Why? Is being "happy" the apex of life, the acme? It is fine and dandy when a person is experiencing a period of happiness, they should enjoy it. It is like a honeymoon, a short period of great fun, but a period of time that will end. After it ends, it is back to reality.

There are five times you will find the English word "happy" in the N.T. Any E.C. People reading this, it is time to put on your logic and context cap, something you detest. The idea of being fortunate is that one is in a favorable situation, something that benefits you.

John 13:17 If you know these things, "happy" (makarios) are you if you do them.

How about, If you know these things, fortunate are you if you do them.

Acts 26:2, I think (consider) myself happy (makarios), king Agrippa, because I shall answer for myself...

Or, I consider myself fortunate because I (have the opportunity) to answer for myself...
Nobody "thinks" or "considers" themselves "happy," You are either happy about something or not. Did Paul do a quick inventory of his emotions and conclude, "I should be happy in this situation, so I'll think myself to be happy?"

James 5:11, Behold, we count them happy, (makarizo), which endure.

Behold, we count them blessed of God, which endure...

1Pet 3:14, But if you suffer for the sake of righteousness, happy (markarios) are you:

But if you suffer for the sake of righteousness, fortunate are you:

1Pet 4:14, If you are reproached for the name of Christ, happy are you.

If you are reproached for the name of Christ, you are fortunate.

Do you ever see Scripture portraying Jesus as "happy?" Do we see Jesus "happy" when he hung on the cross? Was Jesus "happy" when he went through his night of agony while praying to the Father before he was arrested in the garden? Was he smiling at Judas when he told Judas, "What you are about do, do quickly," John 13:27?
Where does Scripture show Jesus "smiling" or telling jokes, as some teach? Was John the Baptist "happy?" Jesus, Paul, James, Peter, and John spoke of joy. None of them spoke of being "happy." The fruits of the Spirit in Gal 5:22-23 are love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, and faithfulness. Nothing in the list about "happiness," which, by the way, is a word not found in Scripture. We find "joyfulness", "joyful", and "joyfully" in Scripture, but we do not find "happiness," or "happily" in Scripture. Isn't it strange that one of the pillars of the E.C. world is that believers are supposed to be "happy," but they cannot even show one verse that teaches this? What are believers instructed to seek? The kingdom, not happiness!

In Mat 5:3-11, the word blessed is always "makarios." Was Jesus teaching that believers are supposed to be "happy" when being persecuted or reviled by men? Feeling "happy" is an emotional response to some type of stimulus. If that were the case, Jesus would have said, "You will be happy when you are meek," or "You will be happy when men persecute you." All of the horrific torture, death, pain and persecution suffered by believers throughout history came at the hands of wicked people. Were these martyrs smiling, laughing and filled with elation as they were tortured, burnt at the stake or torn apart by wild beasts? Do you think that Jeremiah was telling jokes or saying to those who lowered him into the pit, "God loves you and so do I. God has a wonderful plan for your life. God will meet you where you are at, I forgive you." (Jer 38:6)

I will say it again, I post these studies to show what I have learned. I am not out to prove that I am right and others are wrong. I never expect or anticipate that anything I say will convince or persuade another to believe me. Do I believe what I post to be true? Of course! Do I expect any other person to believe what I say, because I wrote it? Of course not! I respond to very few replies for numerous reasons, one of the main ones is that "those who do something recognize those who don't." I study, and most of the replies are from people who don't study. I will not respond to those, it is pointless! I will answer any legitimate questions about what I believe. But my main point about replying to me is to address any of the verses I show, which those to whom I don't reply, never do. They will always find fault with my words, which mean nothing to me, but they will never address the verses I show. You can accuse me of being wrong as much as you want, but you can't argue with Scripture or say that Scripture is wrong, can you? You can't change word definitions, can you? Some think that showing me one, solitary verse completely contradicts the 10 or more verses I show in a study. This proves to me that you have no idea of the context of your single verse and that one of the favorite methods of false teaching, using only one verse as if that verse is the end of the discussion and presents all of the truth about any doctrine in Scripture, has been so prevalent, has so indoctrinated the people in the pews that they all now copy this.
It would be refreshing if somebody were to preface their reply with, "I don't agree with you and this is what I believe...and proceed to use verses to show why they believe what they do. I would be more favorable to responding to that type of reply. When I show the truth of what Scripture teaches, using Scripture, I get replies that basically say Scripture doesn't teach that. Or when I debunk a lie or false teaching, again using Scripture, I get replies telling me that what I proved to be wrong is actually true. To use the secular way of thinking, I have my "opinion" and you have yours. If these opinions differ, so be it. But please don't try to "convince" me that I am wrong. I post what I believe. No one is going to "convince" or "persuade" me of anything different. My only "goal," for a lack of another term, is that God has purposed me to do these studies and that those who are sheep, those who have a love of the truth and are searching for truth, will come across these studies and God will open their eyes to the truth, as He did for me.
1Cor 3:6-7, I have planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase. So then neither is he that planted anything (special, important, necessary) neither is he that waters; but it is God who increases the growth.

James 1:18 Of His own will, God begat (received birth from above, John 3:3, not "born again.") the believers with the word of truth.

Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this they were glad (not happy) ...and as many were ORDAINED to eternal life believed.

John 8:37, Whoever belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you don't belong to God.

1John 4:6, We are of God: he that knows God hears us, he that not of God does not hear us.

I was not blessed with a "photographic memory." But I know where and how to look things up. For any who are hungry for truth, these three books are must-reads;
The New Strong's Complete Dictionary of Bible Words. This is not the Strong's Concordance. The unique feature of this bible study tool is that it lists all of the English words in the KJV and shows the different Hebrew and Greek words that were translated into each specific English word. Truly an amazing tool. The only place I have been able to find it is at Thrift books. This is how I am able to show the different Hebrew and Greek words translated into any particular English word. I will always state that one of the most crucial parts of learning Scripture is to learn what the original words mean, to not simply trust and rely on that your preferred English translation is accurate.

Jewish Jesus, by David Hoffbrand.
Christian Fruit-Jewish Root, by John D Garr.
Both of these are available as printed copies or on Kindle.

We understand that "Experience is the best teacher." When it comes to learning Scripture, the best way to learn Scripture is when you learn it for yourself.
If I may, this is quite a bit to read. How many more twisted scripture chapters will you present? I agree that Christians can twist scripture to their personal belief system however, I'm just not getting much clarity on the twists with your posts so far. Any chance you can condence this into a more powerful statement that feeds the flock ? Thanks for hearing me out.
Blessings

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Bob corrigan

May 3, 2022
San Antonio
✟30,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Divorced
If I may, this is quite a bit to read. How many more twisted scripture chapters will you present? I agree that Christians can twist scripture to their personal belief system however, I'm just not getting much clarity on the twists with your posts so far. Any chance you can condence this into a more powerful statement that feeds the flock ? Thanks for hearing me out.
Blessings[/QUOTE

You are correct, I am aware that I am very "wordy." I wish I had some type of program that would condense my posts into a shorter version. This is no excuse, but I get caught up when I write and I want to pass on a lot of info. However, I will make a concerted effort to cut back on the length and amount of words used. And I sincerely appreciate you pointing this out to me. Sometimes we need another voice to point out certain things to us. There was a time when writers were paid by the world. I would have done quite well back then.lol Again, thank you.

Upvote 0