Tv religion

I

IngaLuv

I may be way off as to where this topic belongs. I am new here so if I put this in the wrong area, please forgive me.

I don't watch very much TV at all. In fact, I went for several years without a TV in my house. My old one broke and I decided that when I started to really miss it, I would get another. It took a long time before I thought about getting one but finally did. I still only turn it on maybe once every few months. It just isn't my thing. Admittedly, I do watch a show here or there on-line. Yeah, weird, right?

Anyway, people at work kept talking about the show GLEE saying I would like the music. They are right, I do. Not a huge fan of the show as it is about teenagers, which I am pretty far away from age wise but... This last episode was a little thought provoking. Maybe I am hoping against hope that people can find God and stand up for him instead of allowing others to dictate what we are allowed to say or do in public, where God is concerned.

Anyway, the show had some deep thoughts. Kids believing in an environment not all do. Non believers at least opening to the thought, maybe not believing themselves. A person who is so ugly about life that loves a special person. A person who doesn't believe because of something that happened to someone else and that person believing. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone who didn't see it but I was wondering what any of you who saw it think of it?

I personally would watch more TV, if it wasn't so violent and had a better message. My favorite show on TV was Little house on the prairie when I was a kid if that gives you any idea. ha ha

I was just proud of the producers of Glee having a religious/spiritual theme for one of their shows. I wish there was more of that type of message out there. How can kids learn love and peace if all we show them is hate and violence?

W

wildafri

I may be way off as to where this topic belongs. I am new here so if I put this in the wrong area, please forgive me.

I don't watch very much TV at all. In fact, I went for several years without a TV in my house. My old one broke and I decided that when I started to really miss it, I would get another. It took a long time before I thought about getting one but finally did. I still only turn it on maybe once every few months. It just isn't my thing. Admittedly, I do watch a show here or there on-line. Yeah, weird, right?

Anyway, people at work kept talking about the show GLEE saying I would like the music. They are right, I do. Not a huge fan of the show as it is about teenagers, which I am pretty far away from age wise but... This last episode was a little thought provoking. Maybe I am hoping against hope that people can find God and stand up for him instead of allowing others to dictate what we are allowed to say or do in public, where God is concerned.

Anyway, the show had some deep thoughts. Kids believing in an environment not all do. Non believers at least opening to the thought, maybe not believing themselves. A person who is so ugly about life that loves a special person. A person who doesn't believe because of something that happened to someone else and that person believing. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone who didn't see it but I was wondering what any of you who saw it think of it?

I personally would watch more TV, if it wasn't so violent and had a better message. My favorite show on TV was Little house on the prairie when I was a kid if that gives you any idea. ha ha

I was just proud of the producers of Glee having a religious/spiritual theme for one of their shows. I wish there was more of that type of message out there. How can kids learn love and peace if all we show them is hate and violence?
Amen to that...I think we should not let our kids TV until a certain age.

Upvote 0

Sabbath-Keeper777

Apr 21, 2011
The Prison Planet
✟294.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah seriously. Have we entered the generation where "the imagination is constantly evil all the time yet?" I think we're just about there. They have the rainbow of God's promise and turned into a symbol for Sodomy, so it will thus rain in fire with God's wrath.

Upvote 0

CLM9999

May 16, 2011
U.S.A
Visit site
✟15,145.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I understand what you're saying, but I watched about ten minutes of Glee one night and it portrayed one young female student that was interested in one of the school athletes. She got in a fight with one of the gay males students on the show, because he also was attracted to the male school athlete. It showed the gay student crying and he was was very effiminate and, well, it just didn't do much for me.

Since then, the only thing I watch on Glee if it happens to come on are the dancing and/or singing which is outstanding....

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0

stacymay

Cloudcuckoolander
May 17, 2011
North Carolina
✟8,024.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender has great morals. It has a lot of adult and teen fans, but it is aimed at kids so I guess that doesn't count.

True, it's tough to find those sorts of messages on TV today. All we Christians have is the televangelist recordings from 10 years ago, haha, unless I'm just not looking hard enough. True, most shows aimed at youth promote sex and try to tell them they're losers if they're still virgins, and they try to show that drinking and things that that are fun and cool. Even when the characters get in trouble, it doesn't really teach a message. Of course, TV shows are what you make of them and even questionable material doesn't have to injure faith. Maybe I only say that because I like watching The Office and Scrubs XD they're funny!

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition is a great show for Christians; pretty rare for a reality series. It's a real testament to the milk of human kindness and what good faith and love can bring in the face of adversity. It's really inspirational. It shows on CMT, TVLand, and maybe one of your local channels (WLOS here, not sure what that stands for) if you're interested. Otherwise I mainly watch cartoons, anime, travel/educ. shows, comedy, and Iron Chef. haha

Thanks for sharing, and God bless! :amen:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums