Turned down a guy/accused of being anti social?

Lifeisagift

Dec 28, 2018
los angelos
✟8,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
My dad loves to accuse me of being anti social and saying "that's why you have no friends". We were at a friends place and there is a single guy there who I see a couple times a year. We aren't friends (acquaintances) and we do not share interests. That night he invited me out w/him to a symphony for the next day, just him and I. I turned him down and when I told my family what happened, they jumped down my throat and told me I was missing out on a social opportunity. Most important, I have a bf and I know he would be hurt if I went alone w/a guy to a concert. Also I don't find him all that interesting anyways, even as just a friend. Had this been a group thing, I wouldn't have said no. What in the heck is my family's problem? They find it weird that I wouldn't want my bf going alone w/some random chick as a social opportunity. This kind of stuff is extremely frustrating and makes me feel self conscious.

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't get it. You can have social experiences with people you actually want to have them with instead...I don't know about your family dynamics, but if anyone in my family tried to pull that on me, I'd tell them thanks for the concern, but it's not your business how I live my private life. Not saying you should say that, but gee...you'd think that the fact that you already have a boyfriend might assuage their fears that you are somehow anti-social...unless you two met at a mixer for loners or something. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Upvote 0

Lifeisagift

Dec 28, 2018
los angelos
✟8,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I don't get it. You can have social experiences with people you actually want to have them with instead...I don't know about your family dynamics, but if anyone in my family tried to pull that on me, I'd tell them thanks for the concern, but it's not your business how I live my private life. Not saying you should say that, but gee...you'd think that the fact that you already have a boyfriend might assuage their fears that you are somehow anti-social...unless you two met at a mixer for loners or something. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The thing is that I have struggled making friends. I've had a handful of crappy friends. I'm not that desperate where I will pick random people to hang out w/. Plus I will not risk hurting my bf just to have a social interaction.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My dad loves to accuse me of being anti social and saying "that's why you have no friends". We were at a friends place and there is a single guy there who I see a couple times a year. We aren't friends (acquaintances) and we do not share interests. That night he invited me out w/him to a symphony for the next day, just him and I. I turned him down and when I told my family what happened, they jumped down my throat and told me I was missing out on a social opportunity. Most important, I have a bf and I know he would be hurt if I went alone w/a guy to a concert. Also I don't find him all that interesting anyways, even as just a friend. Had this been a group thing, I wouldn't have said no. What in the heck is my family's problem? They find it weird that I wouldn't want my bf going alone w/some random chick as a social opportunity. This kind of stuff is extremely frustrating and makes me feel self conscious.

You did the right thing. Do your parents like your bf? My parents were always trying to steer me away from my bf ... who became my husband ... because they didn't like him. I just learned to ignore them in that regard.

Upvote 0

Lifeisagift

Dec 28, 2018
los angelos
✟8,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
You did the right thing. Do your parents like your bf? My parents were always trying to steer me away from my bf ... who became my husband ... because they didn't like him. I just learned to ignore them in that regard.

They actually like my bf, so I know its not that. I think in future if I make a decision, they won't hear about it.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, why did you even mention it to your family?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They actually like my bf, so I know its not that. I think in future if I make a decision, they won't hear about it.

ok ... it's great they like him .... I think in future if I make a decision, they won't hear about it. Sounds reasonable ;o)

Upvote 0

SleepingAtLast

Dec 11, 2018
Here
✟26,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You have the right perspective. It would be wrong of you to go to a concert alone with a guy who isn't your boyfriend. Your family is definitely not being helpful, but it is worth noting that your family's jabs bother you. If you didn't think you had a problem socially, what they are saying wouldn't bother you at all because you know it's not true. I'm not saying that it means you are anti-social, and it actually doesn't sound like you are, but usually when something bothers us like that there is a reason. It sounds like maybe you are unsatisfied with the state of the friendships in your life and maybe that means you start to seek out more friendships or deeper friendships with people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums