Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, where are we compared to Nov 2016? Where will we be in Nov 2018?

employment
wage growth
unemployment
black unemployment
hispanic unemployment
asian unemployment
stock market
GDP

There are more economic indicators but these are a few that public will recognize.

. the truth will be in the numbers.

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, Politico, which leans alittle left about as much as the Hill leans right, but is mostly in the middle.

In your opinion. It's amusing to me that the left which by and large owns the media considers their views as in the "middle".

The market is going to go down. The economy is not as strong as advertised. Corporate debt is too high, and corporate bonds are starting to fall. The PMI has fallen below 50 (purchasing managers index) for the first time since 2009. The yield curve dipped again the other day and then today again.

You can cherry pick all the numbers you want and quote every confirmed biased sources you want. But the economy under Trump has flourished and is the envy of the world.

Trump's trade wars are making things worse. The tax break the rich got didn't help other than to put us on a sugar high financially.

"Tax break the rich got"? I'm far from it. But I'm self-employed and I'm saving $2000 this year. Thank you Mr. President!

You can spout all the conspiracy stuff about it, but the truth will be in the numbers.

"Conspiracy"? Have you checked the unemployment numbers?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,744.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
...But in China, there is relatively little confusion about Trump these days.

More than a year into the trade war, officials and analysts feel that they’ve got a handle on the tweeter-in-chief and how to ride out the ups and downs.
“I think they’ve decided Trump is a vacillating guy who can’t figure out what he wants and gets spooked every time the stock market goes down or someone accuses him of not being tough,” said Arthur Kroeber, managing director of GaveKal Dragonomics, a consultancy in Beijing.

“Although there are problems in China, they believe they have their economy under control, more so than Trump. They think he is more vulnerable to a slowdown and that they can afford to wait him out,” he said.
“He’s a 70-ish-year-old man but speaks like a 7-year-old kid. We just can’t listen to what he says now. I think Chinese leaders have realized this, too — not listening to him but watching what he does and then countering,” Yao said.
In the meantime, a deal appears to be moving farther away.

“With each step that Trump has taken since May, he has reduced the chances of striking a deal,” Kroeber said, referring to the tariffs and threats to blacklist Huawei Technologies. “He keeps throwing in new things that he would then have to take away to get a deal.”

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Politically, I think that we need to understand what a deal is.

We have a deal with China whenever Trump says that we do. There will be a meeting and then trump will say that they agreed on some elements, and that there was a deal. This should be repeated 3 times before the election. In between , there can be additional rash actions that Trump later takes back.
=====
I see zero chance of there being no deals, since substance is NOT a requirement of a deal. Consider the deals with North Korea.

...But in China, there is relatively little confusion about Trump these days.

More than a year into the trade war, officials and analysts feel that they’ve got a handle on the tweeter-in-chief and how to ride out the ups and downs.
“I think they’ve decided Trump is a vacillating guy who can’t figure out what he wants and gets spooked every time the stock market goes down or someone accuses him of not being tough,” said Arthur Kroeber, managing director of GaveKal Dragonomics, a consultancy in Beijing.

“Although there are problems in China, they believe they have their economy under control, more so than Trump. They think he is more vulnerable to a slowdown and that they can afford to wait him out,” he said.
“He’s a 70-ish-year-old man but speaks like a 7-year-old kid. We just can’t listen to what he says now. I think Chinese leaders have realized this, too — not listening to him but watching what he does and then countering,” Yao said.
In the meantime, a deal appears to be moving farther away.

“With each step that Trump has taken since May, he has reduced the chances of striking a deal,” Kroeber said, referring to the tariffs and threats to blacklist Huawei Technologies. “He keeps throwing in new things that he would then have to take away to get a deal.”

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,752,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In your opinion. It's amusing to me that the left which by and large owns the media considers their views as in the "middle".

You can cherry pick all the numbers you want and quote every confirmed biased sources you want. But the economy under Trump has flourished and is the envy of the world.

"Tax break the rich got"? I'm far from it. But I'm self-employed and I'm saving $2000 this year. Thank you Mr. President!

"Conspiracy"? Have you checked the unemployment numbers?

Yeah, conspiracy.

The economy has good marketing. It has been like when someone gets a new credit card or loan and thinks they have money to spare and build up debt.

3 reasons to fear America's massive $70 trillion debt pile - CNN

$70 trillion in debt. Wow. Where are the Republicans who cared so much about our debt?

But time will show the truth. I hope it is better than what I think.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Bingo.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Trump Republican Party doesn't care about debt. It has little in common with the Republican party of Reagan, Bush, Bush, and McCain.

Yeah, conspiracy.

The economy has good marketing. It has been like when someone gets a new credit card or loan and thinks they have money to spare and build up debt.

3 reasons to fear America's massive $70 trillion debt pile - CNN

$70 trillion in debt. Wow. Where are the Republicans who cared so much about our debt?

But time will show the truth. I hope it is better than what I think.

Upvote 0

Skewpoint

Jul 11, 2019
USA
✟72,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
The Trump Republican Party doesn't care about debt. It has little in common with the Republican party of Reagan, Bush, Bush, and McCain.
Oh bless your heart, you think any of them actually cared about debt? ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Skewpoint

Jul 11, 2019
USA
✟72,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I don't think anyone in government really care about debt anymore. We've gone so long with mounting debt and we haven't crashed yet, so meh, no big deal.
I agree with the first part. I would also agree if your second statement is what the justification would be if we actually asked those in power. If your second statement is more of a statement of fact, then I would have to disagree.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,843.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I agree with the first part. I would also agree if your second statement is what the justification would be if we actually asked those in power. If your second statement is more of a statement of fact, then I would have to disagree.

I think those in government don't think it's a big deal. I think it's important. But I do have to ask myself, if they have a point. We've been crying about about the debt forever, warning about it. But we just keep going on. At what point is there a tipping point? When is it going to happen? I sometimes wonder if they are right not to worry about it. It hasn't hurt is so far. I think k a lot of that has to do with taxes. As long as the citizens arent taxed to death we will keep going on. If at some point we start taxing people to pieces is when it will come crashing down because the economy will grind to a halt.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It's because he won the election when they thought they had it in the bag. And because they don't like him as a person and hate his agenda. Pretty simple really
That sounds good for propaganda purposes, but only the last one is operative. The election is over. If the Right wasn't so ardent about revenge, Hillary would be long forgotten. As to not liking him as a person, I don't think even many on the Right like him very much as a person. No, at this point the agenda is everything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In the end, the open question is how much of the federal budget do we want to have allocated to debt repayment, crowding out the ability of the federal government to spend more on infrastructure, military, research and social programs.

As time goes on, taxes will need to be raised to pay for the debt, but this is not unmanageable. The issue is choice. How much should we go in debt, with the understanding that our children will pay with less money for federal programs and higher federal taxes.
======
AS AN ASIDE
Many states run on balanced budgets. Under Clinton, we had a surplus and a plan to pay off the national debt in 8-10 years. Republicans USED TO care about the debt, and have deficits as a major issue (as long as there was enough military spending).

In a sense much of this changed on 911. Bush and Congress launched 2 wars and huge spending on a domestic structure to prevent future attacks, and to reduce the possibility of foreign based terrorism.

I think those in government don't think it's a big deal. I think it's important. But I do have to ask myself, if they have a point. We've been crying about about the debt forever, warning about it. But we just keep going on. At what point is there a tipping point? When is it going to happen? I sometimes wonder if they are right not to worry about it. It hasn't hurt is so far. I think k a lot of that has to do with taxes. As long as the citizens arent taxed to death we will keep going on. If at some point we start taxing people to pieces is when it will come crashing down because the economy will grind to a halt.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,843.00
Faith
Pentecostal
The things is the Dems used to be the ones that didn't care. It was all about spending. I remember hearing that the debt didn't matter. All from the Dems. The Republicans cared and with Clintons help got a balanced budget helped. Then suddenly under Bush debt skyrocketed because of quantitative easing and the bailouts. Under Obama it increases even more. I didn't hear boo from the Dems. Not one peep. Now under Trump we are accruing even more debt and the Republicans don't seem to care at all. Suddenly the Dems do though. What happened? How did the Dems go from not caring to suddenly it's such a big deal over two years? What happened to the Republicans that they don't seem so concerned any more.

I truly wonder if the Dems really do care or if it's just cause of Trump. If Trump is defeated and a dem gets in the Whitehouse will they still be throughing a fit over the debt if he/she signs big spending budgets or will they go back to not caring anymore?

Will the Republicans suddenly start caring again?

Will it ever matter?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The things is the Dems used to be the ones that didn't care. It was all about spending. I remember hearing that the debt didn't matter. All from the Dems. The Republicans cared and with Clintons help got a balanced budget helped. Then suddenly under Bush debt skyrocketed because of quantitative easing and the bailouts. Under Obama it increases even more. I didn't hear boo from the Dems. Not one peep. Now under Trump we are accruing even more debt and the Republicans don't seem to care at all. Suddenly the Dems do though. What happened? How did the Dems go from not caring to suddenly it's such a big deal over two years? What happened to the Republicans that they don't seem so concerned any more.

I truly wonder if the Dems really do care or if it's just cause of Trump. If Trump is defeated and a dem gets in the Whitehouse will they still be throughing a fit over the debt if he/she signs big spending budgets or will they go back to not caring anymore?

Will the Republicans suddenly start caring again?

Will it ever matter?
Because it's not about deficit spending and it never has been. It's how the borrowed money is spent.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,843.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Because it's not about deficit spending and it never has been. It's how the borrowed money is spent.

But that's not what the Dems are caring about. You don't hear "we love the heavy debt, we just think the money should be spent differently.". No we hear about how horrible it is we went further into debt.

Maybe for you, you don't care at all about the debt and only care about how the money is spent, but you should pay closer attention to what others on the left are saying.

Upvote 0