London
✟7,912.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was reading today about Liberty University in the US encouraging Christians to vote for Trump "Conservatives & Christians need to stop electing 'nice guys'...."

I constantly am amazed that evangelical church leaders have convinced themselves that a man who constantly is abusive towards women is the person christians should vote for just because he's the one that will drive forward various politics that support evangelical preferences. What does this say to young christians or non christians - it's okay to behave like that, the church supports him so whatever he says and does must be alright. What happens when young men start acting like that towards women because their president does - what kind of role model have Christians voted in to the White House?

Can you honestly imagine Jesus saying 'you should vote for him'? Personally I don't...

Now, I don't want to turn this in to a slanging match, I'd love to hear from evangelicals that honestly believe this is the right thing to do and why, and from those who don't but please keep it friendly. Remember there's big theological differences between many Christian faiths but we all believe in the same Lord, let's remember we can also have political differences too.

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would keep my young children out of politics for right now only because I don't see any decent role models. You have Trump on the one side, and then you have the other claiming 'he makes them do it' with their violent acts. The media at this point is eating it up, and making tons of cash.

When the children get older? They realize that any person in general doesn't rely on - whatever he/she says and does is right. That's just silly and legalistic. I don't think most raise their children to think like that - at least I would hope not. It's called encouraging discernment.

People should draw their role models from people within their own circle of friends and family. This politic idol - celebrity thing, etc is not realistic. Outside our own communities/family in the middle of this media circus and crazy political climate? There are no role models. I would encourage young people to STOP looking there, and find REAL people.

People vote for him on the issues, and not the personality. What they feel is principles of the country - and not the emotionalism that he - and many before him brings out in people. The laws that are ignored, and the jobs that went away - and were replaced with nothing more than promises...with no substance. The silly word games that are encouraged in order to shame people into thinking as they feel you should. To many people tend to put his supporters in simplistic little boxes, and that just shows they aren't listening. lol to busy preaching and pigeonholing them. This culture encourages it sadly.

Don't get me wrong - I don't care for the man at all. NOT someone I would hang with, etc. He just isn't my cup of tea. I can see it because I'm able to separate things unlike many today it seems. They have got caught up and drawn in. You just can't make rational and decent decisions about anything just about based on personality type, and what emotion they draw from you.

There are plenty of things he supports that even outside the evangelical way of looking at the world, and at times I have to wonder if people don't realize that attacking his supporters like has been documented in many places makes many people dig in their heels.

It's a downright crazy atmosphere right now.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The human body is a unit that is made of many parts.

So it must be with the body of Christ.

When we ask the usual question, what would Jesus do, we are of course asking what the head of the body would do.

The role that Trump plays in the Body of Christ is much more nether than the region occupied by the head.
Nevertheless (nether the less?) if you don’t think that the role that Trump plays is critical, imagine the state of your own body if you were incapable of going to the bathroom for even a week.
Thus, Trump was elected, with full evangelical support, on a platform of ‘cleaning the swamp’. Anyone who thinks that the America swamp is not in dire need of a good purging really ought to pay attention to their bodies, however distasteful that may be.
Of course, those who have been politically successful through slinging ‘mud’ are not very happy when the mire of the swamp that they have been elbow deep into up until now gets eliminated by Trump.
As for Evangelicals, one might suppose that they have developed good personal hygiene and will continue to wash their hands after using the Trump, er, the bathroom that is.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Can you honestly imagine Jesus saying 'you should vote for him'? Personally I don't...

If you're a Christian, you know God doesn't support candidates. He neither needs nor wants government support.

If you're a minister working for a candidate, then you've stopped working for God.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thus, Trump was elected, with full evangelical support, on a platform of ‘cleaning the swamp’. Anyone who thinks that the America swamp is not in dire need of a good purging really ought to pay attention to their bodies, however distasteful that may be.

Predictably, Trump has hired more alligators. His WH is infested with Washington insiders and lobbyists. Would you like some examples?

Upvote 0