Trump Raffensperger conversation: Why is it close to being illegal ? Why mock Brian Kemp?

perplexed

Jun 22, 2005
✟101,191.00
Faith
Seeker
Sorry for starting another thread about this but there are no Trump supporters on the other Thread and I really want the perspective of Trump supporters
I listened to the whole 1 hour conversation and I don't understand why it is "close to being illegal" , How is it a crime to ask Raffensperger to find 12 thousand illegal votes if you think there are 200,000 illegal votes.

However the entire conversation is really strange, in particular at the end Trump mocks Brian Kemp. Why ?

Quoted below for your convenience

"Hilbert: To get to this issue of the personal information and privacy issue, is it possible that the secretary of state could deputize the lawyers for the president so that we could access that information and private information without you having any kind of violation?

Trump: Well, I don’t want to know who it is. You guys can do it very confidentially. You can sign a confidentiality agreement. That’s OK. I don’t need to know names. But on this stuff that we’re talking about. We got all that information from the secretary of state.

Meadows: Yeah. So let me let me recommend, Ryan, if you and Kurt would get together, you know, when we get off of this phone call, if you could get together and work out a plan to address some of what we’ve got with your attorneys where we can we can actually look at the data. For example, Mr. Secretary, I can you say they were only two dead people who would vote. I can promise you there are more than that. And that may be what your investigation shows, but I can promise you there are more than that. But at the same time, I think it’s important that we go ahead and move expeditiously to try to do this and resolve it as quickly as we possibly can. And if that’s the good next step. But hopefully we can we can finish this phone call and go ahead and agree that the two of you will get together immediately.

Trump: Well why don’t my lawyers show you where you got the information. It will show the secretary of state, and you don’t even have to look at any names. We know want names. We don’t care. But we got that information from you. And Stacey Abrams is laughing about you. She’s going around saying these guys are dumber than a rock. What she’s done to this party is unbelievable, I tell ya. And I only ran against her once. And that was with a guy named Brian Kemp and I beat her. And if I didn’t run, Brian wouldn’t have had even a shot, either in the general or in the primary. He was dead, dead as a doornail. He never thought he had a shot at either one of them. What a schmuck I was. But that’s the way it is. That’s the way it is. I would like you for the attorneys … I’d like you to perhaps meet with Ryan ideally tomorrow, because I think we should come to a resolution of this before the election. Otherwise you’re going to have people just not voting. They don’t want to vote. They hate the state, they hate the governor and they hate the secretary of state. I will tell you that right now. The only people like you are people that will never vote for you. You know that Brad, right? They like you know, they like you. They can’t believe what they found. They want people like you. So, look, can you get together tomorrow? And Brad. We just want the truth. It’s simple.

And everyone’s going to look very good if the truth comes out. It’s OK. It takes a little while but let the truth come out. And the real truth is I won by 400,000 votes. At least. That’s the real truth. But we don’t need 400,000. We need less than 2,000 votes. And are you guys able to meet tomorrow Ryan?

Germany: Um, I’ll get with Chris, the lawyer representing us and the case, and see when he can get together with Kurt.

Raffensperger: Ryan will be in touch with the other attorney on this call, Mr. Meadows. Thank you President Trump for your time.

"

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Sorry for starting another thread about this but there are no Trump supporters on the other Thread and I really want the perspective of Trump supporters
I listened to the whole 1 hour conversation and I don't understand why it is "close to being illegal" , How is it a crime to ask Raffensperger to find 12 thousand illegal votes if you think there are 200,000 illegal votes.

However the entire conversation is really strange, in particular at the end Trump mocks Brian Kemp. Why ?

Quoted below for your convenience

"Hilbert: To get to this issue of the personal information and privacy issue, is it possible that the secretary of state could deputize the lawyers for the president so that we could access that information and private information without you having any kind of violation?

Trump: Well, I don’t want to know who it is. You guys can do it very confidentially. You can sign a confidentiality agreement. That’s OK. I don’t need to know names. But on this stuff that we’re talking about. We got all that information from the secretary of state.

Meadows: Yeah. So let me let me recommend, Ryan, if you and Kurt would get together, you know, when we get off of this phone call, if you could get together and work out a plan to address some of what we’ve got with your attorneys where we can we can actually look at the data. For example, Mr. Secretary, I can you say they were only two dead people who would vote. I can promise you there are more than that. And that may be what your investigation shows, but I can promise you there are more than that. But at the same time, I think it’s important that we go ahead and move expeditiously to try to do this and resolve it as quickly as we possibly can. And if that’s the good next step. But hopefully we can we can finish this phone call and go ahead and agree that the two of you will get together immediately.

Trump: Well why don’t my lawyers show you where you got the information. It will show the secretary of state, and you don’t even have to look at any names. We know want names. We don’t care. But we got that information from you. And Stacey Abrams is laughing about you. She’s going around saying these guys are dumber than a rock. What she’s done to this party is unbelievable, I tell ya. And I only ran against her once. And that was with a guy named Brian Kemp and I beat her. And if I didn’t run, Brian wouldn’t have had even a shot, either in the general or in the primary. He was dead, dead as a doornail. He never thought he had a shot at either one of them. What a schmuck I was. But that’s the way it is. That’s the way it is. I would like you for the attorneys … I’d like you to perhaps meet with Ryan ideally tomorrow, because I think we should come to a resolution of this before the election. Otherwise you’re going to have people just not voting. They don’t want to vote. They hate the state, they hate the governor and they hate the secretary of state. I will tell you that right now. The only people like you are people that will never vote for you. You know that Brad, right? They like you know, they like you. They can’t believe what they found. They want people like you. So, look, can you get together tomorrow? And Brad. We just want the truth. It’s simple.

And everyone’s going to look very good if the truth comes out. It’s OK. It takes a little while but let the truth come out.
And the real truth is I won by 400,000 votes. At least. That’s the real truth. But we don’t need 400,000. We need less than 2,000 votes. And are you guys able to meet tomorrow Ryan?

Germany: Um, I’ll get with Chris, the lawyer representing us and the case, and see when he can get together with Kurt.

Raffensperger: Ryan will be in touch with the other attorney on this call, Mr. Meadows. Thank you President Trump for your time.

"

By telling the adjudicators what “the truth” is, to enable them to have the results fit that “truth”, it could be argued that the President of the United States of America is suborning perjury.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Trump: Well why don’t my lawyers show you where you got the information. It will show the secretary of state, and you don’t even have to look at any names. We know want names. We don’t care. But we got that information from you. And Stacey Abrams is laughing about you. She’s going around saying these guys are dumber than a rock. What she’s done to this party is unbelievable, I tell ya. And I only ran against her once. And that was with a guy named Brian Kemp and I beat her. And if I didn’t run, Brian wouldn’t have had even a shot, either in the general or in the primary. He was dead, dead as a doornail. He never thought he had a shot at either one of them. What a schmuck I was. But that’s the way it is. That’s the way it is.

This part is also horribly inaccurate. Brian Kemp ran against Stacey Abrams for governor of Georgia in 2018. Trump was not on the ballot at all that year. His analysis is questionable as well. It is unlikely that a Democrat would have easily won Georgia without the support of Trump for the Republican. The Republicans have a nearly 20 year uninterrupted history of winning virtually every statewide race in Georgia. Trump of course broke this streak.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I doubt that the Justice Department will act on the call, either now or in the Biden Administration.
There's no point in looking at it as illegal. It reveals the President to be weak and whiney, which is damning enough.

Upvote 0

perplexed

Jun 22, 2005
✟101,191.00
Faith
Seeker
By telling the adjudicators what “the truth” is, to enable them to have the results fit that “truth”, it could be argued that the President of the United States of America is suborning perjury.

The phone call was basically exactly the same as Trumps twitter rants , I cannot see how it could be illegal to repeat what you say publicly if the public comments are legal.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The phone call was basically exactly the same as Trumps twitter rants , I cannot see how it could be illegal to repeat what you say publicly if the public comments are legal.
In the phone call he was specifically asking a state official to cheat for him. The only reason that there was no law breaking is because the state official did not take him up on it.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
In the phone call he was specifically asking a state official to cheat for him. The only reason that there was no law breaking is because the state official did not take him up on it.
It’s not illegal if Trump actually believed what he claimed. In that case he was asking the state official to do his job. To prosecute you would have to show that Trump knew what he was saying was false. Good luck.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It’s not illegal if Trump actually believed what he claimed. In that case he was asking the state official to do his job. To prosecute you would have to show that Trump knew what he was saying was false. Good luck.
I am not so sure of that. If he did manage to get him to do an illegal act his beliefs have little to do with it. I may believe that my next door neighbor is a Martian and might believe that it is legal to kill him. If I used some massive power of mine to have that neighbor killed by another I could still be indicted, regardless of my personal beliefs.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
One psychiatrist's definition of insanity is 'doing the same thing over and over in the hope each time that it will turn out differently'. In the next two weeks how many more attempts will there be to steal the election from the people?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Are we really getting to the point where trump's defense is "I can't be prosecuted because I'm too crazy and stupid to be held responsible for my actions"?

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Only if President Trump truly believes that he won Georgia.

That that is supposed to be “better” (somehow), shows just how far down the rabbit hole this man has led us!

Upvote 0

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟261,424.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Are we really getting to the point where trump's defense is "I can't be prosecuted because I'm too crazy and stupid to be held responsible for my actions"?
yes pretty much that is where we are at. we have a person on the vaccine tampering thread who pretty much thinks that the nurse is innocent as long as they had a good enough reason.
rule of law and morality don't seem to matter to some people anymore, perhaps they never really did to begin with.

Upvote 0

The Ant

Oct 25, 2020
Brisbane
✟15,378.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I thought that it was illegal to simply solicit for such a favour?

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I thought that it was illegal to simply solicit for such a favour?
Very possibly but just like the when the president encouraged his followers to vote twice in NC, something that is explicitly illegal to advocate doing, nothing will come of this.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Wasn't one of the findings of the Mueller investigation that Donald and his team was too incompetent to conspire with willing Russian accomplices? It might be less "getting to the point" than "same as it ever was".

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This part is also horribly inaccurate. Brian Kemp ran against Stacey Abrams for governor of Georgia in 2018. Trump was not on the ballot at all that year. His analysis is questionable as well. It is unlikely that a Democrat would have easily won Georgia without the support of Trump for the Republican. The Republicans have a nearly 20 year uninterrupted history of winning virtually every statewide race in Georgia. Trump of course broke this streak.

He was likely referring to the rallies he held for Kemp:

Trump was saying if he hadn't appealed to his base Kemp would never have won..

• Agree
Upvote 0