Trump proposes compromise to end shutdown, Pelosi rejects it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟561,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
We voted for quite a few more than that. Too bad Nancy seems to think she speaks for all the representatives in the House.
Who does she think she is? Speaker of the House?

• Haha
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
From the looks of the compromise, Donald gets a few concessions, but still doesn't get his wall...

Meaning if he refuses to sign it, this shutdown is on him... again.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
From the looks of the compromise, Donald gets a few concessions, but still doesn't get his wall...

Meaning if he refuses to sign it, this shutdown is on him... again.

Trump evidently has funding for 55 miles of new walls/fencing/"whatever you wish to call it" in the compromise offer. I think he'll take it. It would be absurd to shut down the government again, and he took a public drubbing the last time so I don't think he'll make that same mistake again. He'll lose in the courts if he tries to declare an emergency and get funding that way. IMO he'll take his extra funding and call it a win.

Its actually pretty irrational to try to build walls across the entire border anyway and they'd be sued by some farmers who simply don't want a wall on their property in the first place. Most of the drugs come through the ports of entry and there's extra funding to address that issue as well. Most illegal aliens simply overstay their visa, they don't cross illegally, so building more walls could not possibly solve the whole problem anyway.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Trump evidently has funding for 55 miles of new walls/fencing/"whatever you wish to call it" in the compromise offer. I think he'll take it. It would be absurd to shut down the government again, and he took a public drubbing the last time so I don't think he'll make that same mistake again. He'll lose in the courts if he tries to declare an emergency and get funding that way. IMO he'll take his extra funding and call it a win.

Most likely -- but this president has shown a fairly large tolerance for absurdity.

Its actually pretty irrational to try to build walls across the entire border anyway and they'd be sued by some farmers who simply don't want a wall on their property in the first place.

Nevertheless, that's exactly what he promised his devoted followers, and those farmers are powerless against the power of eminent domain...

Most of the drugs come through the ports of entry and there's extra funding to address that issue as well. Most illegal aliens simply overstay their visa, they don't cross illegally, so building more walls could not possibly solve the whole problem anyway.

Now you're injecting truth, reality, and prudence into this discussion -- three things which Donald has very little tolerance for...

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟662,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟333,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Haha
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟662,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I say good for her in compromising.

Yes, I do too.
It just seems that she's always going to be above criticism in the eyes of her followers. If she would not approve wall funding, then she's "standing up to Trump" and "Putting Trump in his place". If she caves in and funds the wall, then she's seen as "compromising". If the government shut down over it, she'd be blaming Trump, just like before.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Indeed -- it does look like Pelosi as agreed to let Donald have a few toys, but not what he wanted.

Looks like she'll have to explain to her democrat base (assuming they'll hold her accountable). She has 1.375 billion to explain why she "caved" to Trump and failed to keep her promise.

IOW, Pelosi made a deal... and Donald will have to explain to his base why his wall is still not being built.

The difference, of course, is that Pelosi's base is a lot more reasonable than Donald's...

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I do too.
It just seems that she's always going to be above criticism in the eyes of her followers. If she would not approve wall funding, then she's "standing up to Trump" and "Putting Trump in his place". If she caves in and funds the wall, then she's seen as "compromising". If the government shut down over it, she'd be blaming Trump, just like before.

Criticism for what? Making a deal with the GOP?

(noting that Donald himself had little if anything to do with this deal -- he might not even sign it once it's read to him)

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟662,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Indeed -- it does look like Pelosi as agreed to let Donald have a few toys, but not what he wanted.

He wanted wall funding. He didn't get the whole thing, but I think he (and the majority of the rest of us who think it's a good idea) sees it as a good start that can be expanded later.

IOW, Pelosi made a deal... and Donald will have to explain to his base why his wall is still not being built.

Why is it still not being built? Perhaps because the money hasn't been made available yet. The bill has to be signed first, and then the building can begin.

The difference, of course, is that Pelosi's base is a lot more reasonable than Donald's...

I'm anxious to see the first sign of that.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟662,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
He wanted wall funding. He didn't get the whole thing, but I think he (and the majority of the rest of us who think it's a good idea) sees it as a good start that can be expanded later.

True, but Donald has been hanging his hat on "$5.7 billion dollars" for his wall, and he's not getting anywhere near what he wanted... and he's not always going to have a shutdown to threaten the country with...

Why is it still not being built? Perhaps because the money hasn't been made available yet. The bill has to be signed first, and then the building can begin.

50 miles of fencing... enjoy.

I'm anxious to see the first sign of that.

Don't be anxious -- too much stress is bad for you. Just remember to cheer when Donald tells you to cheer, and be angry when he tells you to be angry... you'll be better off that way

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟662,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
True, but Donald has been hanging his hat on "$5.7 billion dollars" for his wall, and he's not getting anywhere near what he wanted... and he's not always going to have a shutdown to threaten the country with...

5.7 billion may have been the goal, but it doesn't mean nothing can be done until that goal is reached.

50 miles of fencing... enjoy.

Gotta start somewhere. If 50 miles of the border that needs it the most is addressed first, then the least secured 50 miles will be taken care of first.

Don't be anxious -- too much stress is bad for you. Just remember to cheer when Donald tells you to cheer, and be angry when he tells you to be angry... you'll be better off that way

I'll make my own decisions. But thanks anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟662,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Give it time -- Donald might still get the shutdown he wants if he chooses not to sign like a good boy.

All indications are that he will sign it.
I noticed that you didn't address the fact that Nancy went back on her word.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
5.7 billion may have been the goal, but it doesn't mean nothing can be done until that goal is reached.

Actually, no -- $5.7 billion is only the tip of the iceberg; the wall is going to cost between $30-$75 billion, not counting annual maintenance and upkeep.

But Donald doesn't want his followers to think of that, so, obediently, they don't.

Gotta start somewhere. If 50 miles of the border that needs it the most is addressed first, then the least secured 50 miles will be taken care of first.

And where are those least secured 50 miles? Out in the middle of nowhere? Somewhere where simply going 25 miles east or west is not an option?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
All indications are that he will sign it.

like a good boy.

I noticed that you didn't address the fact that Nancy went back on her word.

Indeed she did. I'm sure some of her more zealous supporters are going to be upset. I'm not one of them.

Donald still isn't getting his wall, and that's good enough for me.

Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I do too.

Nancy caved. She always said there would be no money for the wall. NBC News wouldn't lie about that, would they? Pelosi: No wall money, period. Trump: 'Stop playing political games!'

I suspect most Democrats will think about Pelosi's compromise more maturely than the Sean Hannitys of the world did Trump's compromise.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian

First you blame Pelosi and the democrats for *not* negotiating and for not making concessions, and now you're condemning her for making them? Make up your mind. Trump certainly didn't keep his promise to make Mexico pay for his vanity wall, but you seem just fine about it.

Looks like she'll have to explain to her democrat base (assuming they'll hold her accountable). She has 1.375 billion to explain why she "caved" to Trump and failed to keep her promise.

As a registered democrat from her home state, it's not going to require any explaining to me. It's called 'compromising' during a 'negotiation'. You have an odd sense of "caving" by the way. Assuming Trump signs that offer, Trump will have "caved' from 5.7 billion down to 1.375 billion so he certainly will have "caved" a lot more than she did. ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.