Marital Status
Married
John 4:24
'God is a Spirit:
and they that worship him
must worship him
in spirit and in truth.'

Hi,
Interesting verse isn't it? An important verse to know and understand.

If we wish to worship the Lord in a manner which is honouring to Him, and is acceptable to Him, then this tells us how it must be done.

Worship has to be truly of the Spirit.

This statement, regarding true worship, shows that we cannot worship except with the innermost occupation of our heart. No outward act of the body, in kneeling or standing, singing or saying, gazing or listening, eating or drinking, can be substituted for that which MUST be spiritual.

Anything which distracts from that occupancy of heart can only hinder true worship.

The flesh can play no part in true worship, for the flesh is under the curse. Any worship which is the effort of the flesh, or any of our senses is not acceptable. Incense burning, music and song will stimulate the senses, but it is of no value where true worship is concerned, in fact it can be a hindrance to true worship, for it is a distraction.

Do we really understand what true worhip really is? For we tend to associate it with singing and other outward expressions of the flesh, when this verse shows it to be of the spirit.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

Readwriter.

Psa. 45:1 'My tongue is the pen of a ready writer.'

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do have a question, Is it bad not going to church? I used to go all the time, but for the past yr I have not really gone, I don't know I fill like I can worship at my house, and Im just confused I guess...

Hi Loganclose,

The advantage of attending a church service to join with others to worship is from the point of view of 'mutual edification', which is just a phrase which sums up what fellowship with other Christians is all about. It is strengthening, and encouraging, builds bonds between people of like minds and is supportive.

However, our fellowship first and foremost is with the Father and the Son, by means of the Holy Spirit, through the reading of His Word and through prayer. That is something that is achieved at home or on a mountainside isn't it, wherever there is a quiet place where time can be spent with God in quiet contemplation around His Word.

I stress His Word, because I believe this to be the one 'tool' the Holy Spirit uses to take of the things of Christ and make them ours. It is His 'sword', the one weapon that He has at His disposal to use, not only to teach and direct us but also to correct us along the way.

However, worship is of the heart and is between God and ourselves and does not require a church service or the presence of another.

There are those who would consider attendance at a Sunday service to be essential, but I believe that we who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ are 'complete' in Him, and 'accepted in the Beloved', not because of what we have done or can do, but because of what God Himself has done through the sacrificial offering of His only Son on our behalf.

Thank you for responding to my post.
Readwriter.

:wave:

Upvote 0

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
...not doing your own ways, Nor finding your own pleasure, Nor speaking your own words..

Hi Visionary,

One of the symbols against your name indicate that you are a believing Jew? Am I correct in thinking that?

I have found a verse from Isaiah (58:3) which seems to correspond with what you quoted.

(Isa 58:13) 'If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:'

I love the verse which follows this too,

(Isa 58:14) 'Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.'

This was God's instruction to Israel as a nation concerning the Sabbath day wasn't it, and is not applicable to the Sunday observance of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, for they do not meet on a Sabbath day, neither are they obligated to observe the law regarding the Sabbath.

Thank you for responding, I have found it interesting.

Readywriter

Isaiah 1:1
'The vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem '

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Hi Visionary,

One of the symbols against your name indicate that you are a believing Jew? Am I correct in thinking that?

I have found a verse from Isaiah (58:3) which seems to correspond with what you quoted.

(Isa 58:13) 'If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:'

I love the verse which follows this too,

(Isa 58:14) 'Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.'

This was God's instruction to Israel as a nation concerning the Sabbath day wasn't it, and is not applicable to the Sunday observance of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, for they do not meet on a Sabbath day, neither are they obligated to observe the law regarding the Sabbath.

Thank you for responding, I have found it interesting.

Readywriter

Isaiah 1:1
'The vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem '
I am a gentile worshiper of The Way, that Yeshua worshipped.

Never confuse Judaism as just Jewish.. Messianic Judaism is filled with Gentiles. It is a returning to the roots of the faith...And we love our Messiah Yeshua.. the Lord of the Sabbath...

Upvote 0

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am a gentile worshiper of The Way, that Yeshua worshipped.

Never confuse Judaism as just Jewish.. Messianic Judaism is filled with Gentiles. It is a returning to the roots of the faith...And we love our Messiah Yeshua.. the Lord of the Sabbath...

Hi Visionary,

Thank you for explaining. I have gone online and found a site which seems to match your description, and have looked at the statement of faith given there, so I now have an understanding of where you are coming from.

I have not posted a sufficient number of entries to qualify me to enter a link to show you what I found in order for you to verify it, but it is 'The Union of British Messianic Jewish Congregations' web site's statement of faith.

Interesting
Readywriter

:wave:

Upvote 0

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Saviour, where'er Thy people meet,
There they behold Thy mercy seat;
Where'er they seek Thee, Thou art found,
And every place is hallowed ground.​

For Thou, within no walls confined,
Inhabitest the humble mind;
Such ever bring Thee where they come,
And going, take Thee to their home.​

Hi,

Philippians has a verse which also gives insight into what constitutes true worship (Phil. 3:3),

'For we are the circumcision,
which worship God in the spirit,
and rejoice in Christ Jesus,
and have no confidence in the flesh.'

This together with John 4:4 give a great deal of food for thought, and are a good basis for considering this subject of just what true worship is.

Thank you for listening
Readywriter

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums