May 1, 2005
✟18,066.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not exactly sure why, even though I've been a christian for 20 years, I have never been able to properly pray. I am sure we have all heard people, especially pastors, go on for minutes at a time, asking God, praising him, and giving thanks. Whereas I can only go for maybe 5 seconds before I lose track of what I'm even thinking about. I just run out of words I guess.
I give presentations and speeches, can talk with people for hours if needed and never run out of topics, with no problem. But for some reason, prayer time comes around and I cant even think. So, I would expect to be speechless for sure, if standing before God. But why is that the case here on earth? Even more so when surrounded by one or two others.
It seems like it may be common, even with the very faithful. Pastor Gabe Hughes once said in a sermon that he has trouble with it also at times. I just dont understand why it's even a problem. It doesnt make any sense to me.
Anyways, its an uncomfortable thing, and makes going to church and bible studies hard, especially when someone points at you and says "why dont you lead us in prayer". Or close in prayer. Whatever the case may be. There are sunday's where I dont even want to go, simply because of the possibility someone wants me to give a speech to God on behalf of everyone.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm not exactly sure why, even though I've been a christian for 20 years, I have never been able to properly pray. I am sure we have all heard people, especially pastors, go on for minutes at a time, asking God, praising him, and giving thanks. Whereas I can only go for maybe 5 seconds before I lose track of what I'm even thinking about. I just run out of words I guess.
I give presentations and speeches, can talk with people for hours if needed and never run out of topics, with no problem. But for some reason, prayer time comes around and I cant even think. So, I would expect to be speechless for sure, if standing before God. But why is that the case here on earth? Even more so when surrounded by one or two others.
It seems like it may be common, even with the very faithful. Pastor Gabe Hughes once said in a sermon that he has trouble with it also at times. I just dont understand why it's even a problem. It doesnt make any sense to me.
Anyways, its an uncomfortable thing, and makes going to church and bible studies hard, especially when someone points at you and says "why dont you lead us in prayer". Or close in prayer. Whatever the case may be. There are sunday's where I dont even want to go, simply because of the possibility someone wants me to give a speech to God on behalf of everyone.
You are not alone. Many people suffer as you do. Self consciousness is often the root cause. Deep down, we expect people to judge us. I was like that for many years. At school, if the teacher looked over my shoulder, I would freeze. We need to realise that God receives us as we are, kills us and hides us in Christ. We are new creations. God is not judging us, why should we fear what others think?

Remember too that Satan opposes us. Prayer has great power. Satan will try to put us off.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Whereas I can only go for maybe 5 seconds before I lose track of what I'm even thinking about. I just run out of words I guess.
I give presentations and speeches, can for

Treat pray as a presentation and prepare your words.
We do not always have to open our mouths and talk,
We can write it out beforehand, make notes etc, what ever works.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,985.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You could asks church leaders to not asks you to lead in prayer for awhile.

I do understand what you're saying. But this is when we buckle down and do it anyway because God wants to be in constant contact with us (I Thess 5:17).

We can asks The Lord to help us. We can pray The Lord's Prayer and other prayers that are in Scripture. Plus there's hundreds of Christian prayers online. Select some that are meaningful to you and make them yours - making them personal. As you noted, thanksgiving and praise are important in this opportunity to talk with our Creator.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maybe you are trying to make it formal instead of simply a conversation like you would have with anyone else, just talk to the Father as if he was truly your father and I think your problem will disappear.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,552.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I would say the key to good prayer is knowing the Word of God and praying according to it. When we know God's will it is easier to pray, because we pray according to His heart.

The second thing that I find is useful (for personal prayer) is to prayer in tongues. There are often times we run out of things to say, or don't know how to pray. Praying in this way natural ability disconnects, and we pray according to the Spirit's will, not our own will.

Upvote 0

Christopher0121

Brother In Christ
Jun 28, 2011
Ohio
✟35,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

You're not alone. Let me ask you a question that might seem strange at first.

What is your devotional practice as it relates to prayer? Do you set regular times aside to pray? How is your prayer time structured? When do you know you've "completed" your devotions?

One poster above mentioned speaking in tongues during prayer, this is really a beautiful practice. I was Pentecostal for over 30 years and I still speak in tongues in my devotional prayers. I second this practice and encourage it.

I'm about to share something very personal, and you might not entirely agree. But hear me out, you'll see where I'm going with all this towards the end of my post.

For many years my devotions were typically filled with a Bible readings and short prayer. That was it. But I felt like my spirituality was self-contrived and shallow. As strange as it might seem, after my heart attack I entered into a different place spiritually and actually found myself being drawn to Catholicism. Now, I'm not here to convert you to Catholicism. However, during this season of change I began to pick up different devotional practices like Novenas and then I fell in love with the Rosary and how one places intentions on their Rosary prayers while contemplating the various NT mysteries relating to Christ and Mary. This has become one of my most loved practices. For example, todays mysteries are the Glorious Mysteries (Christ's Resurrection, Christ's Ascension, Holy Spirit's Descent on Pentecost, Mary's Assumption, and Mary's Coronation). It takes roughly 15 to 20 minutes to pray the Rosary while contemplating the daily mysteries. But I enjoy it because it is structured and precise. Traditionally there are 15 mysteries. However, Pope John Paul II introduced 5 more raising the number to 20. This contemplative prayer actually has been producing noticeable and measurable changes in my life. I struggle with PTSD, so it's calming. It's also edifying to my spirit to simply contemplate, or behold, the NT Mysteries without a lot of intellectual commentary. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, merely basking in the presence of these spiritual realities and beholding them in the mind or in an icon can be as transformative as any sermon or reading. For me, the Rosary is something I try to pray 3 times a day, and when I'm feeling any strong temptations or anxiety. It allows me to bring my focus and senses entirely to Christ. The contemplative nature of the devotion realigns the mind for at least 15 to 20 minutes which is more than enough time to overcome sinful impulses or anxious thoughts. I like to sit for another 10 to 15 minutes and pray freestyle in my own words, speak in tongues, or stop and read a passage of Scripture after my Rosary devotion.

Now, I'm not saying you should pray the Rosary. Of course, I invite anyone who wishes to try it to do so. However, I know it isn't for everybody.

My point is that I have found that having an actual "practice" of prayer and devotion that has structure and is deliberate, focused, and traditional has made all the difference in my devotional life. I've had more prayers answered since praying the Rosary. I'm even having friends go out of their way to ask me to include special needs in my prayerful intentions. I've had more success with overcoming the flesh since praying the Rosary. I've also found myself praying for an hour or more a day (usually closer to an hour and a half or two hours) with each Rosary prayed being about 20 minutes. There is also a healthy and godly sense of accomplishment that allows me to enjoy everything else in my life because I am confident that I've completed my daily devotion and worship. And should I wish to stop for 20 minutes of prayer, I have my pocket Rosary in my pocket with my Bible.

I even went as far as to set up "prayer corner" with a small altar of sorts in my home. Here I light a candle, burn incense, and pray. And I do this "religiously". lol After all, it is my religion. lol This means I pray my devotions rather I feel like it or not. Most of the time by the time I'm done I've prayed myself out of my "funk" and feel spiritually rejuvenated.

Christianity is over 20 centuries old. There are literally THOUSANDS of Christian devotional practices to engage in, the Rosary is just one of many, but for Catholics, this is our greatest devotional weapon. You might benefit from picking up an actual devotional practice or tradition of prayer. It certainly doesn't have to be the Rosary. But I'm sure that the right practice will bring the same benefits to you and your faith as the Rosary has for me and my faith. The point is... having a concrete, edifying, and enjoyable devotional practice makes living a life of prayer far more rewarding and engaging.

So, look into practices of devotion and prayer. And don't cut corners. Don't hedge to make things "easier". The more you invest in it and behold it as a core practice of your faith personally, the more benefit it will bring you. Should you look into it and find a devotional practice that suits you share it with us. There are so many others out here just "winging" their prayer life and devotional life and they have no idea how an actual, structured, deliberate, practice can benefit them.

God bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It's easier to talk to someone when you know them better.

It's no different in our relationship with God.

For me, praying became easier and even enjoyable when I really dug into His Word.. and now I recall all the times He came through for me when I was younger (I tear up.. He's been so good to me).

I like to talk to God sometimes when I'm alone as if He's right there.. because He is. :)

Hope this helps.

'And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.'

(Jeremiah 29:13)

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Brownstoned

May 1, 2005
✟18,066.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As an update this is still an issue, but not as bad. Anything i say, though is nothing new. Its just a script from the previous week that i happened to have memorized because I say it so often. In our prayer groups, we have people that just became christians, yet can go on for 5 minutes perfectly. Whereas me, its just the same 30 second script, or if i try and deviate, i cant even speak, running out of words. Its like I keep trying to put on a presentation or something. But then again, even at home alone i sort of have the same problem.
As a side note, i've had several brain injuries in the past. So finding the words and concentration is already hard enough.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

walkswithFire

Nov 26, 2021
New Zealand
✟33,321.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I used to have trouble speaking at the front of a full church service, yet I could lead worship or pray in front of anyone. I think the key element is "In front of people" I'm sure you have strategies that you have learned when you give presentations and speeches. Try to imagine that you are in front of God's throne and you are on your own. Start with thank you.... and end with in Jesus mighty name. :prayer: prayers...

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,931,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

nhisname

Dec 21, 2020
SW MO
✟28,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When praying ask the Lord to renew your mind.
Romans 12:2
To get rid of all worldliness and clutter so you can focus solely on him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brownstoned

May 1, 2005
✟18,066.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
After thinking about this more, I think one of the problems is that I pray all day long, at home and at work. But then when others are around, its different.
The only thing I can relate it to, is as a kid, when I was at home with my parents, I rarely acted up. But then when my friends came around, I felt as if I had to put on some sort of show for my parents. I couldn't just be myself. I better not mess up or do the wrong thing, because the parents are around the corner listening to every word.

YahuahSaves
YahuahSaves
That sounds like the culprit... maybe in your day to day conversations with God, ask him to help you let go of the need to perform in front of others. He likes authenticity, he doesn't want us worried about what others think of how we pray. :oldthumbsup:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Juan777

Jun 20, 2022
Toronto
✟20,153.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Yeah. Setting aside 30 min on prayer time can seem difficult at times.

Upvote 0