• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Trouble connecting with god

I need a little bit of advice, I have been a christian a long time, and only in the last 5 years or so have i been using the gifts of the sprit and actually recieving from god..

Now when i pray and when i worship i have trouble connecting with god, its really really annoying because when i get prayer from people, they lay their hands on me and pray, uaually when the Holysprit touches me i shake ever so slightly, but at the moment thats all i seem to be doing, Shake!,.....Is this wrong, i feel as if im connecting with god but still i feel as if there is nothing there!,

I have been up to the front of church alot of times to get prayer for this and so far nothing has helped!, at my worst point even kneeling on the floor in my room pleading with jesus to reveal himself to me, and i feel nothing,
I have grown up believing that when you ask jesus to speak to you...he will!, because he loves talking to us....so why do i feel as if he doesnt want to talk to me?

Bottom line is i really need to feel that jesus loves me!
Any thoughts...

sparrow

God loves the sparrows
Mar 29, 2002
Oxfordshire, England
✟16,829.00
Faith
Christian
You know my thoughts on this, and you know I'm praying :)

Just maybe another suggestion. Instead of expecting God to give you a powerful experience, just trust him, trust that he will come to you. I really don't know why you can't connect... I don't think this advice is making sense :sorry: :help:

Oh well, I'm praying :)

Upvote 0

Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
AlexSuttonUK said:
I need a little bit of advice, I have been a christian a long time, and only in the last 5 years or so have i been using the gifts of the sprit and actually recieving from god..

Now when i pray and when i worship i have trouble connecting with god, its really really annoying because when i get prayer from people, they lay their hands on me and pray, uaually when the Holysprit touches me i shake ever so slightly, but at the moment thats all i seem to be doing, Shake!,.....Is this wrong, i feel as if im connecting with god but still i feel as if there is nothing there!,

I have been up to the front of church alot of times to get prayer for this and so far nothing has helped!, at my worst point even kneeling on the floor in my room pleading with jesus to reveal himself to me, and i feel nothing,
I have grown up believing that when you ask jesus to speak to you...he will!, because he loves talking to us....so why do i feel as if he doesnt want to talk to me?

Bottom line is i really need to feel that jesus loves me!
Any thoughts...

Jesus says to ask...seek...and knock...repeatedly.
So you gotta stay at it.
Also, Jesus does love you. Don't get hooked on how you feel. Our feelings change with the weather. Also, Elijah didn't hear God in teh rushing wind or the shaking earth, he heard a gentle whisper.

Finally, is there anything getting between you and God?

Upvote 0

urbanfaerie

Veteran
Apr 17, 2003
gargamel's castle
Visit site
✟1,392.00
Faith
Non-Denom
hmm..i hear ya...seems i'm losing connection too. for me its cuz i'm sinning, and i wanna kee sinning so...i put God outta my mind, not necessarily on purpose..it just happens. we put satan on a pedestal, when we want sin, or seek out, what we shoulnt. cuz he alow it. so that guilt feelng, isn't here so much... ur prolly losing connection w/ God cuz u arent being a saint. and thats perfectly ok. we arent angels, and God doesnt expect us to be.

just ask for forgivness. trust in God, and u'll be ok...

prayer doesnt work how we expect it to. God will always anwer prayer, just sumtimes it goes un noticed, cuz ur looking for sumthing else...

Upvote 0

ukok

Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and Emotional
Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
God is working within you even when you don't see or feel any evidence. It's a matter of personal opinion whether you believe that you should expect great signs of God like instantaneous healing etc, I would tend to agree with clairywairy : trust in him.

Upvote 0

CeCe

Veteran
Mar 25, 2003
Visit site
✟1,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
clairywairy said:
Just maybe another suggestion. Instead of expecting God to give you a powerful experience, just trust him, trust that he will come to you. I really don't know why you can't connect... I don't think this advice is making sense :sorry: :help:

Actually it makes a lot of sense.

Never trust feelings. Feelings are temporary and always changing. Trust in Him. He hears you and loves you whether you feel it or not. ;)

(and He never changes. :bow: )

Upvote 0
Thanks guys for the help!,

you have really helped me, i here what you are saying about to not rely on your feelings because some days i feel ok and some days i dont, but at the moment im feeling pretty good and not so lost!,

your prayers have all helped and i thankyou all for everything :)

Upvote 0
Hello, I am new but I was compelled to reply to you. I know how you feel. You are in a dry season right now, but remember this : Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. This is a period of testing for you. GOD just wants to prove your faith, so he can brag on his child. He has to try our faith in order to prove us worthy of his blessings. So even though it seems like Jesus isn't hearing your calls, just know that he is there. He said he will always be with us, even til' the end of the Earth. David said in Psalms that even if we make our bed in hell, he is with us. So we have to encourage ourselves and know that GOD hears us and through praying in the name of Jesus Christ, he is listening. Just continue to seek GOD. There may be some things in you that he wants to eliminate from your life to get you in a place of having his treasures opened up to you, and having the ability to reveal greater revelation of himself and his word to you as well. Just count it all joy, for Jesus said in Revelation, when he comes he wants to catch us standing in faith. I love you in Jesus' name.

Have a joyous day in the Lord.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
AlexSuttonUK said:
i feel as if im connecting with god but still i feel as if there is nothing there!

We do not live by feeling, we live by faith. Feeling are not always relyable or dependable.

Proverbs 8:17
I love those who love me,
And those who seek me diligently will find me.

Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigToe

You are my itchy sweater.
Jun 24, 2003
Sudzo's Purple Palace of Snuggles
Visit site
✟35,932.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
i am praying for you. if you ever need to talk with someone i am here for you. i love you as your sister in christ. and i pray that you are able to feel God's love for you as well, even if you feel as though you aren't hearing from Him right now. Just know that he says hello to you with the sunrise and goodnight with the sunset. His arms wrap around you in a hug with the wind and he cries when you are heartbroken through the rain. There are a million small ways through which he is communicating with you. If there is anything you need, do not hesitate to ask.

Upvote 0
hey thanks for that, thats really good of you, I will remember your offer :)
It seems that sometimes im fine, I connect with god quite well, In fact for other people I can here god very well, but when it comes to me...everything just goes dead.
Im not sure what to do about it, all I can do is take everones advice and keep on trying and trying, one thing I know is that, life can get as tough as it likes....and i will never give up on god!

Upvote 0

BigToe

You are my itchy sweater.
Jun 24, 2003
Sudzo's Purple Palace of Snuggles
Visit site
✟35,932.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I know what you mean on it being easier to hear God talking for others than it is for yourself. You just have to trust God and expect things from Him. He is faithful and will never leave you or forsake you. I notice that when I feel like I can't hear from God or connect with him, it isn't because He isn't saying anything or something like that. It is because I am not listening to him. I am still praying for you. Have faith, be patient, and keep the eyes of your heart on God!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums