The Wild West
✟477,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
There were writings that were later excluded from scripture but were still held as worthy of instruction in certain aspects. Probably what was often considered an oral tradition was originally a tradition that was attested to but later lost over the centuries. A major example of this, I think, is a long book called The Shepherd of Hermas.

Fortunately the Shepherd of Hermas was not lost, but rather misplaced, insofar as we have two complete manuscript variants in Latin, one in Georgian, and two in archaic dialects of Coptic including Sahidic but not Bohairic, the form still extant to some degree for ecclesiastical purposes, and partially lost Greek and Ge’ez manuscripts, and also a Middle Persian manuscript, which was recovered in China and is presumed like most Middle Persian things of this provenance to have existed due to Manichaeans.

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
  • Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟756,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"Some believe that Hermas has a binitarian understanding of God, as it calls the Holy Spirit the Son of God. Not all, however agree that Hermas has binitarianism.[18][19]Kelly calls the Christology of Hermas "an amalgam of binitarianism and adoptionism.[20]"

I know and that is why I said that aspects of certain works were accepted. Perhaps I should have worded my answer better in saying that certain aspects were accepted and others rejected. From that the entire work was rejected as scripture but some points became part of tradition. I believe a work like the Shepherd had some acceptance because it’s intentions were right but it’s understanding was primitive. When outright deceiving, gnostic works began to circulate, heresy became a serious danger and there could be no further confusion.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟756,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I just wanted to mention that in my post (#83), my answer was influenced by a good, easy to read book: The Books the Church Suppressed by Dr Michael Green

I have also read the shepherd of hermas in the past.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
"Some believe that Hermas has a binitarian understanding of God, as it calls the Holy Spirit the Son of God. Not all, however agree that Hermas has binitarianism.[18][19]Kelly calls the Christology of Hermas "an amalgam of binitarianism and adoptionism.[20]"

I myself reject the idea that it is Binatarian or Adoptionist; I think if it were St. Athanasius would have proscribed it altogether in the way that most NT apocrypha was proscribed.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I just wanted to mention that in my post (#83), my answer was influenced by a good, easy to read book: The Books the Church Suppressed by Dr Michael Green

I have also read the shepherd of hermas in the past.
The Da Vinci Code really just absolutely slanders the Early Church concerning the apocrypha. It is so bad and also reflects such a poor understanding of Church History that I am unable to enjoy it even as entertainment (whereas I did enjoy The Young Pope and its sequel The New Pope, starring Jude Law and John Malkovich).

Indeed reading the actual Gnostic psuedepigrapha was one of the most disappointing experiences of my life, in that I entered with an open mind hoping to read more about our Lord, because as St. John writes, all the books in the world could not contain what happened, and it was such a let down, in that the more unambiguously worthless of these books are so obviously false and devoid of merit.

And in the few cases where an apocryphon has some merit, for example the “Sayings Gospel” that claims to be written by St. Thomas, once you remove the obvious Gnostic content and retain only the synoptic components, you actually are left with nothing that is not already in the Synoptics. This leaves only a few interesting works, such as the vivid Passion narrative in the fragment of the Gospel of Peter, which alas is a fragment and does not give us enough material to really add that much, although it does mention specifics about the sealing of the tomb which are also recorded in tradition, and the Protoevangelion of James, which does correspond with tradition regarding the Nativity of the Theotokos, and a few other works.

That said to keep people from being led astray by these works I think there could be a need for an edit that removes from, for instance, the sayings gospel attributed to St. Thomas, all of the obvious Gnostic interpolations. Likewise, a cleanup of the Odes of Solomon, and a few other texts, so that a ”safe apocrypha” might exist that would essentially curate what is with merit in these texts as a witness to, rather than as a part of, the New Testament, since unlike, for example, the Book of Mormon, these texts are from antiquity and can in some cases arguably be used as a non-authoritative additional witness.

I am not a huge fan of the Revised Common Lectionary, but just as a Presbyterian seminary professor has remedied the worst parts of it by plotting a Year D based on the Gospel of John* I have facetiously dubbed the low priority effort I refer to as Year E, although in this respect the idea is that if the concept is missing from the RCL + Year D, then it should be removed from any apocryphal collection aside from those which might be used for teaching seminarians and theology majors about heresies, heresiology and doctrinal orthodoxy.

*Year D includes important pericopes missing from the lections in years A, B and C, several of which are present in the traditional one year lectionaries the RCL replaced (fortunately the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox and Assyrian churches, and most Eastern Catholic churches, excluding I think just the Maronites, whose liturgy I think was in many respects severely damaged by Vatican II, have completely rejected the entire three year lectionary project or concept in favor of preserving the ancient lectionaries of their traditional liturgical rites, and in the case of the Antiochian and ROCOR Western Rites, of the traditional Western liturgies).

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,750.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is tied to how a truth shall convey.

We know the truth of Jesus through the testimonies of Jesus' direct disciples and the chosen apostles as His eyewitnesses. Without the apostles testimonies we can never know who He is. While His chosen disciple Thomas called Him God.

John 20:28-29 (NRSV)
Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!"
Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe."

Upvote 0