Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The problem with grand juries is that they don't determine "truth", only if the prosecutor has enough evidence to go to trial. They also have a reputation for being emotional and easily led. It might be extremely difficult to get an unbiased (either way) group at this point. Hopefully, a special prosecutor will be able to get to the truth of the matter.

It would be a shame if Zimmerman were prosecuted just to satisfy public opinion; it would also be a shame if Zimmerman were not prosecuted because his dad is a former magistrate or because there was bias in the prosecutor's office. I really do hope that this can be resolved in a way that is both fair and just.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The problem with grand juries is that they don't determine "truth", only if the prosecutor has enough evidence to go to trial. They also have a reputation for being emotional and easily led. It might be extremely difficult to get an unbiased (either way) group at this point. Hopefully, a special prosecutor will be able to get to the truth of the matter.

It would be a shame if Zimmerman were prosecuted just to satisfy public opinion; it would also be a shame if Zimmerman were not prosecuted because his dad is a former magistrate or because there was bias in the prosecutor's office. I really do hope that this can be resolved in a way that is both fair and just.
I haven't seen any reason to believe that the elder Zimmerman's career had any influence on the case.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
You'd have a point if I ever once said Zimmerman was guilty and Martin was innocent, but I've not said that anywhere. In fact, I've defended Zimmerman's (and Martin's) right to innocence until guilt is proven.

So your assessment is pretty off-base.

Except the whole "we don't have sufficient evidence, but we are still going to make you prove your innocence" bit.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to the definition. legal or otherwise, he did not stalk him
[SIZE=-1]VERB:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]tr.[/SIZE]

1. To pursue by tracking stealthily.
  2. To follow or observe (a person) persistently, especially out of obsession or derangement.
  3. To go through (an area) in pursuit of prey or quarry.
verb
  1. to follow or approach (game, prey, etc) stealthily and quietly
  2. to pursue persistently and, sometimes, attack (a person with whom one is obsessed, often a celebrity)
Vocabulary.com
As a verb, stalk means to walk stiffly or angrily. If someone insults you, you might stalk from the room and refuse to listen to another word. When hunting, an animal stalks its prey — it follows its quarry stealthily until it's time to pounce. Similarly, if a person stalks you, they follow and watch you. It is very threatening and frightening to the one who is being stalked, and the police should be called.​
verb
  1. [transitive] to follow and watch someone all the time in a threatening way, because of an extremely strong interest in them
    He had continued stalking her despite a warning from the police.
    The suspects complained of being stalked by photographers wherever they went.
  2. [transitive] to hunt a person or animal by following them without being seen
    Gunmen stalked and killed several political activists.
    She watched a cat stalking a bird in the garden.

And that's just the first few. So, you either disagree with the dictionaries' definitions or you are claiming that Zimmerman did not watch or follow Martin persistently.

Upvote 0

jpcedotal

Old School from the Backwoods - Christian Style
May 26, 2009
In between Deliverance and Brother, Where Art Thou
✟13,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think I am siding with Zimmerman on this. I think Martin was casing houses, saw Zimmerman following him, jumped Zimmerman, beat the heck out of him, and got his butt shot for it...

sounds pretty legit to me.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And that's just the first few. So, you either disagree with the dictionaries' definitions or you are claiming that Zimmerman did not watch or follow Martin persistently.

How 'bout we acknowledge that Z was on a neighborhood watch, which would by definition, watch persistently? And in this case, if he did not follow he felt M would get away, perhaps to rob?

How 'bout we acknowledge that stalking is a legal term, and Z did not violate that statute?

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think I am siding with Zimmerman on this. I think Martin was casing houses, saw Zimmerman following him, jumped Zimmerman, beat the heck out of him, and got his butt shot for it...

sounds pretty legit to me.

Why would M need to be "stalking houses?" How 'bout just deciding to teach the old man a lesson?

Upvote 0