✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Something to be admired????

There is nothing to be admired about our lives. For those of us that transition later in life, our lives have been horrible. If we can spare a younger generation our lives I will.

I want to echo this, because there is a lot of truth to this. It sucks.

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. :thumbsup:

No thank YOU. It is people like you, and Genetojean, and a very good friend of mine who is suffering a similiar situation to yours, who have shown me that in this case, because we don't fully understand the situation, we can't tear the people in it down.

Be blessed. And don't let misunderstanding people get to you.

Upvote 0

Calvinator

It's midnight and I'm sound asleep
Nov 13, 2012
✟788.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My word.

Some don't understand there are hearts involved here, and situations that one can't possibly understand if they haven't been in that position.

Praying for peace.

I admire your empathy.

I think it's wise to also keep in mind what is also involved here: Very impressionable children and dangerous ideas/suggestions given to them. Even the hint of "transgender" to some little boy or girl who doesn't exactly fit the male or female societal stereotype could have major implications in their life if they believed it.

So far the transgenders in this thread and those that support them seem to take it for granted that the person in the story is truly transgender. How do they know?

Can you imagine being told as a child that because you didn't like Barbie or doll houses or whatever that maybe you're a boy in a girl's body? What if the person suggesting such is mistaken or wrong? It's a horrifying thought, and IMO, is a form of psychological abuse.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think it's wise to also keep in mind what is also involved here: Very impressionable children and dangerous ideas/suggestions given to them. Even the hint of "transgender" to some little boy or girl who doesn't exactly fit the male or female societal stereotype could have major implications in their life if they believed it.

So far the transgenders in this thread and those that support them seem to take it for granted that the person in the story is truly transgender. How do they know?

I can't speak for all of us, but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt, given that the child has been to a professional.

Can you imagine being told as a child that because you didn't like Barbie or doll houses or whatever that maybe you're a boy in a girl's body?

I want to know what makes you take that leap. You suggest that we jump too quickly to assume the transgender diagnosis is accurate, but you seem to be jumping to the assumption that the parents took one girly moment and is now trying to turn the child into a girl.

What if the person suggesting such is mistaken or wrong? It's a horrifying thought, and IMO, is a form of psychological abuse.

If the diagnosis is wrong, there is a long time before anything will be done other than letting the child express herself. The first step in reasonable treatment for children is that when they start to hit puberty, they only give a drug that simply stops the hormones. If the drug is stopped, then puberty resumes as normal. All of this is done to make sure that the child is certain that it is the real course they want to take.

I would also like to ask what you think should be done with a child who indicates their body is wrong.

Upvote 0

Ria23

Feb 26, 2013
✟1,308.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
we don't know.

but relatively few parents will come to the incorrect conclusion that they have a TG child and influence him or her in that direction. relatively few parents will make a disastrous and misguided choices regarding their children. therefore, they probably have figured out the best decision for their child and we give them the benefit of the doubt. in the absence of evidence to the contrary, then, we can assume that her parents want to do the right thing.

if you reject the existence of TG children (or TG people, full stop) wholesale, then, I suppose you can automatically dismiss their choice of action at their daughters.

but I do believe in TG children.

upthread I mentioned Occam's Razor. I believe that covers what I just said. you did not respond that post by me, though.

anyway, do you believe in TG adults? if you do not, why not TG children?

Upvote 0

Ria23

Feb 26, 2013
✟1,308.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I want to know what makes you take that leap. You suggest that we jump too quickly to assume the transgender diagnosis is accurate, but you seem to be jumping to the assumption that the parents took one girly moment and is now trying to turn the child into a girl.
based on personal experience, if anything, they would assume the reverse.

when I first came out, around 1997, most of the (not at all socially conservative friends) flat out did not understand that I wanted to transition. they thought I maybe wanted to wear dresses or that I felt confused about my gender or I don't know what, exactly.

my father (again, not socially conservative) flat out did not understand it or accept it. (different story with my mother, though.)

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, because there is not a hue and cry right now because a little trans girl is being used as a pawn in adult games. I have an idea, how about we ask the little girl what she want before we go trying to force this and sue that?
Ask the little girl? Good grief, all she'll tell you is she wants to empty her bladder!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

when I first came out, around 1997, most of the (not at all socially conservative friends) flat out did not understand that I wanted to transition. they thought I maybe wanted to wear dresses or that I felt confused about my gender or I don't know what, exactly.

my father (again, not socially conservative) flat out did not understand it or accept it. (different story with my mother, though.)

I've had a similar experience. Most people questioned whether I wanted to do this to be with guys (eww, no). Most of the people I know are trying to understand it or are just avoiding it.

Upvote 0

GenetoJean

Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Delaware
Visit site
✟18,940.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I admire your empathy.

Can you imagine being told as a child that because you didn't like Barbie or doll houses or whatever that maybe you're a boy in a girl's body? What if the person suggesting such is mistaken or wrong? It's a horrifying thought, and IMO, is a form of psychological abuse.

I agree, that would be wrong. However, since she has a therapist, I don't think that is the case with her.

Upvote 0

OllieFranz

Jul 2, 2007
✟23,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I admire your empathy.

We understand the differences between gender and society's gender roles, and orientaion. And encouraging someone whom those roles don't agree with will not make them gay, or make them believe they are something they are not. It is your simple-minded black-or-white, male-or-female mindset that is the biggest danger to tomboy girls and "sissy" boys, to gay and lesbian teens and to transgendered and intersexed of all ages.

Upvote 0

ActionJ

Beware ... not really a " Chr
Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private

I'm glad that you recognize that I am, indeed, an eagle. I want to start a group for so-called "people" who are actually animals in human skin. All I need to do is find a few psychologists and other "experts" who are willing to say that we are, indeed, animals. Then, voila, we would have the validation that we so desperately need. :p

Upvote 0

OllieFranz

Jul 2, 2007
✟23,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Several years ago I posted this in an earlier thread on the transgendered. It was at a time when the clinical term for the depression associated with transgender was GID (Gender Identity Disorder):

I cannot understand someone with GID, either. That does not, however, mean that I cannot relate to them. I know what it is to be different from all my peers, to not entirely fit in with the "guys," and to know that although I know that it is my genetics at fault, most people think it's all in my head. I have Asperger's, a form of AS (Autism Spectrum) condition. Asperger's is the most high-functioning version of AS, and is often accompanied by high intellegence and many "Aspies" seem almost normal, if somewhat nerdy.

While there are strategies that Aspies can learn to fit in a little better, there is no "cure." So yes, I can relate to those with GID.

That there is a procedure that allows someone with GID to live an almost perfectly normal life is a blessing for them and I, for one, am glad that it available to them. So what if it is "unnatural"? A lot of medical procedures were once considered "unnatural." For some religious sects (for example, Christian Scientists and Jehovah's Witnesses), the procedures, even simple ones such as blood transfusions, are still forbidden.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Um. Not to get technical, but if you feel like a female eagle, wouldn't you void randomly, and thus not need a female restroom?

Unfortunately, I still have to live under the rules of society because society still sees me as human. Therefore, "voiding" in public will land me in a cage -- I mean a jail.

Upvote 0

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Why would an eagle need a bathroom? For that matter, how are you going to pay for anything from a restaurant? Eagles don't carry money.

I would be impressed if you could get a brain scan showing your brain is closer to eagle than human. Good luck with that.

Why can't people just see me as I really am? An eagle! Why must I be persecuted so?

I'm an eagle because I "feel" like an eagle. Can't you just accept that? Unfortunately, I must still live like a human because I am a human ... I mean an eagle in human form. Just because I look like a human and speak like a human and work like a human and have the attributes of a human and go to work like a human and type on this computer like a human doesn't mean that I'm a human. Please be sensitive to my "feelings.";)

Upvote 0

GenetoJean

Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Delaware
Visit site
✟18,940.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately, I still have to live under the rules of society because society still sees me as human. Therefore, "voiding" in public will land me in a cage -- I mean a jail.

Go to a therapist, maybe even 4 like I did, and get treated. Good luck with whatever treatment they prescribe.

Upvote 0

cutekittycat

broken doll
Jun 27, 2012
✟8,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm glad that you recognize that I am, indeed, an eagle. I want to start a group for so-called "people" who are actually animals in human skin. All I need to do is find a few psychologists and other "experts" who are willing to say that we are, indeed, animals. Then, voila, we would have the validation that we so desperately need. :p

DOOOO IIITTT...

Upvote 0