Logan City
✟757,456.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As a Catholic ex-Protestant who is not much interested in flavour of the month attacks on Popes Francis, Benedict, John Paul II or the Tooth Fairy, but who has concerns about church reunification, I really wonder what chance there is of the churches ever reunifying when the Catholic Church itself is so riven with internal criticism.

I think God must sometimes look down on us and think "I wonder why I bothered?"

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
As a Catholic ex-Protestant who is not much interested in flavour of the month attacks on Popes Francis, Benedict, John Paul II or the Tooth Fairy, but who has concerns about church reunification, I really wonder what chance there is of the churches ever reunifying when the Catholic Church itself is so riven with internal criticism.

I think God must sometimes look down on us and think "I wonder why I bothered?"
Hey, any church whose leadership chose the likes of Judas could, I suppose, be suspect. Or a church where the leadership argued, like Peter and Paul, you have to wonder about too. Point is that the Church is filled with humanoids and we do our best to muck things up. We've only survived for 2000 years due to God's grace. If not for that, the Catholic Church would have crashed and burned 1950 years ago.

Reunification? Are any of us worthy of a reunified Church? Moses himself was not worthy of coming into the promised land and had to die in the desert. We grumble too much.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

If you think this is bad you should see the EO. The Russians refused to come to that council they were supposed to have last year or the year before.

This is just my opinion, but the Church is ALREADY unified. There are Catholics who worship with the Byzantine liturgy in the Eastern Catholic Churches, there are Catholics who worship with the Ordinariate's Anglo-Catholic liturgy, and there are Catholics who worship with the Latin liturgy.

All 'under one roof' in communion with the Pope of Rome.

In the words of the fictional Pope Pius XIII: "Ecumenicalism... been there, done that."

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
According to Catholic doctrine which remains perpetual and immutable: the Body of Christ or the Church has always remained "united" or "one"; the Catholic Church alone is the Body of Christ and she has never fragmented or disunited.

Upvote 0