Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And I provided an catholic resource describing why Catholics thing she was called to be ever-virgin and therefore it WOULD BE A SIN.

Secondly, I said, "However most Protestants would claim, "Mary was not perpetually a virgin." Matthew 1.24-25: "When Joseph woke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him: he took his wife, but knew her not until she had given birth to a son. And he called his name Jesus."

"Until" in the passage is best interpreted as...until!

How you get, "along with the rest of Christianity," baffles me.

According to scripture it would not be a sin.

According to scripture she did have other children.

According to Catholics it is a sin because she was appointed by God to be ever-virginal.

Those are the things that I had hope you would have researched.

I appreciate your reply. I've researched them in detail. This really isn't the proper place to explain what the words mean, or what Catholics believe. As far as "along with the rest of Christianity" I believe I added the words "traditionally speaking". And in answer to that, it was a nearly universal belief that the Virgin Mary remained a virgin until the time of the later reformers. The Orthodox, Catholic, Coptic, Assyrian, etc. all believe and teach this, and Luther spoke on it as well. It was a later innovation that began to teach otherwise. If you wish to know more, feel free to start a thread in Traditional Theology and we can discuss it, if you like. But this thread is not the proper place to go into the details.

God bless you.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I appreciate your reply. I've researched them in detail. This really isn't the proper place to explain what the words mean, or what Catholics believe. As far as "along with the rest of Christianity" I believe I added the words "traditionally speaking". And in answer to that, it was a nearly universal belief that the Virgin Mary remained a virgin until the time of the later reformers. The Orthodox, Catholic, Coptic, Assyrian, etc. all believe and teach this, and Luther spoke on it as well. It was a later innovation that began to teach otherwise. If you wish to know more, feel free to start a thread in Traditional Theology and we can discuss it, if you like. But this thread is not the proper place to go into the details.

God bless you.
Got it. I do appreciate the tone of your reply.

And I do plead ignorance of some of the Eastern Orthodox traditions. Is Mary a perpetual virgin in Greek and Eastern Orthodoxy?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Greek Orthodox is one part of the Eastern Orthodox Church. So yes, the beliefs are identical.

Among Protestants, it has not been a large concern of mine, but it appears that Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, and Wesley all taught the perpetual virginity of the Virgin Mary as well. You must come closer in history to the present -perhaps the Radical Reformers - to find a different consensus.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Concerning lust. Looking at a women without sexual thought is not a sin, but if a sexual thought also comes to mind, it is a sin, and the body plus (heart sinning as well)? Can the lust feel from the heart and the body as well? name one

I was under the strong impression that women are physically designed to elicit sexual interest in men. I mean, what did the Good Lord have in mind when in his wisdom he decided to make possible the emergence of a Marylyn Monroe or a Bridget Bardot?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't think attraction is a sin - else how would people ever get married and procreate? But there IS such a sin as lust, obviously. We were discussing this in TAW recently, because it is the belief of many of us that it is possible even to have improper lust towards one's own spouse. But I am finding it difficult to explain without giving examples that are too explicit. I think it has to do with your intentions, how you view the other person, and the degree of selfish desire to gratify oneself (like using another person to "scratch an itch") ... as opposed to a mutual sharing and desire to please the other person within the context of a loving marriage.

The sin happens within the thoughts, IMO, not the natural physical reactions. But for a person who is not married to the person eliciting the desire, the sexual act would ALWAYS be sinful. For that reason it is necessary to quench even the physical desire itself until such time as it can be properly acted upon. It is necessary to look away and distract the mind with other thoughts to interrupt the desire. Following those thoughts and enjoying them, when one is not even allowed (by marriage) to consummate the act, is one way to sin.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Greek Orthodox is one part of the Eastern Orthodox Church. So yes, the beliefs are identical.

Among Protestants, it has not been a large concern of mine, but it appears that Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, and Wesley all taught the perpetual virginity of the Virgin Mary as well. You must come closer in history to the present -perhaps the Radical Reformers - to find a different consensus.

Remember, the RCC has changed her beliefs radically over time. Especially at the council at Trent. If Protestants did that we would be getting away for the reliance of the scriptural data. In fact it is difficult to explain away the data of Jesus' brothers. The attempts made by RCC do not comport to the usage of those terms found throughout first century Palestine.

I don't even think Peter one can defend Papal authority or a papal office given how Peter seemed to take a back seat to James and Paul, in authority and in revelation (compared to Paul).

So I think the last thing Protestants "must" to do is ignore scriptural data and follow ever-changing standards of men. This includes Calvin, Luther, Zwingli, and the like.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Remember, the RCC has changed her beliefs radically over time. Especially at the council at Trent. If Protestants did that we would be getting away for the reliance of the scriptural data. In fact it is difficult to explain away the data of Jesus' brothers. The attempts made by RCC do not comport to the usage of those terms found throughout first century Palestine.

I don't even think Peter one can defend Papal authority or a papal office given how Peter seemed to take a back seat to James and Paul, in authority and in revelation (compared to Paul).

So I think the last thing Protestants "must" to do is ignore scriptural data and follow ever-changing standards of men. This includes Calvin, Luther, Zwingli, and the like.
I agree that the Catholics have altered some of their beliefs over time. But that is not a definitive answer. They believe Jesus died on the Cross and resurrected on the third day - the fact that some beliefs have changed doesn't automatically make everything they believe wrong.

Have Protestants not changed? Are all Protestants identical in their beliefs? I would submit that Protestants have changed FAR more as a group than Catholics. Is baptism necessary or optional? Is baptism an ordinance or a sacrament? Does one confess to a priest or only to God? Can one lose one's salvation or if one is "saved" is it always so? Do the spiritual gifts mentioned in Scripture still apply today? Are those who speak in tongues practicing the same thing that happened on Pentecost? Is communion just a symbol of Christ's body and blood, or is He actually present, and if so, how? Does God actively intervene in our lives? Does God speak to us today? How should we worship? Are instruments permissible in worship, and if so, which ones? Can or should children or infants be baptized? Does a believer still sin? Should one go to an organized church meeting? Should the meeting have a leader? Is the local meeting autonomous or should it be under authority? Do our actions have anything to do with our salvation? Does God want to make us rich? Does God always heal? Why are some people not healed/prosperous? Does God choose who is going to be "saved"? Can we resist God's call to salvation? Is God Trinity or just One? And on and on and on and on. You realize that there are denominations of Protestants that will give different answers to each of these questions, and many more besides? And they have not changed? A logical impossibility.

Papal infallibility or primacy - I agree with you. I don't think it can be defended either. I'm at a loss to understand why questions of Catholic teaching are relevant. I'm not Catholic, btw.

And there are reasonable answers and other objections regarding the "brothers of Jesus" but they have been addressed over and over.

The ever-virginity of Mary is not something Catholics invented. The Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, etc. (which LONG predate the Great Schism of 1054) taught the ever-virginity of Mary. The Catholics continued in the teaching. And when the Protestant Reformation happened, the Reformers taught it as well. Many Traditional Protestants maintain the ancient teaching.

It didn't arise as an issue until fairly recent modern times. It was the descendants of the Reformation, not the Reformers themselves, who created the idea that Mary had other children. My guess is that they were rebelling against the Catholics by saying this, and maybe they didn't realize this was not a uniquely Catholic doctrine, but simply what all of the Church always believed - as your response seems to indicate as well, since you keep bringing up objections to the Catholics as part of your reasoning.

I agree - we ought not follow the doctrines invented by men - but are you sure that is not what one is doing by assuming the modern view of only some Protestants that the Virgin Mary had other children?

Upvote 0

Question ?

Oct 3, 2016
Miami beach,Fla
✟15,508.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My problem is what comes first, the thought with just thought and no feeling are thought first then feeling second? To me, lust means sexual desire are feeling emotion after the thought, not before the thought. Where does the heart come involved as well as the body emotion are feeling? name one

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree that the Catholics have altered some of their beliefs over time. But that is not a definitive answer. They believe Jesus died on the Cross and resurrected on the third day - the fact that some beliefs have changed doesn't automatically make everything they believe wrong.

Have Protestants not changed? Are all Protestants identical in their beliefs? I would submit that Protestants have changed FAR more as a group than Catholics. Is baptism necessary or optional? Is baptism an ordinance or a sacrament? Does one confess to a priest or only to God? Can one lose one's salvation or if one is "saved" is it always so?
The problem there, of course, is that you are comparing a single denomination (RCC) to many, many other churches at once and treating the latter as though they are all one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
the fact that some beliefs have changed doesn't automatically make everything they believe wrong.

Not what I said. You've extended what I said into a strawman.

I'm not so concerned about beliefs changing here. I think God is gradually giving people new insight into deep aspects of the such as the logical problem of evil and suffering, that are only within the last few decades.

On my view Protestants have as many false beliefs as Catholics. The reason for this is that they have adopted a Catholic methodology, namely, argument from authority.

Now remember that it took the Early Church Fathers 400 years after the NT was first written to fully discover the nature of Jesus and the Trinity.

So if the revelations coming to Chalcedon and Ephesus were so important (having to do with Christ's nature), why would G od not intervene with the founding of the Church in Acts with that revelation?

So we engage and understand over time. Slowly eliminating false beliefs. If I make a careful study of Augustine I find he make so e great philosophical points, but his allegorizing of scripture destroys meaning. I don't have to accept his premises built on exegetical fallacies. And further I can reject Calvinists arguments to Augustine as to exegeting passages in the same vein as say Calvin. This actually weapons not strengthens Calvin.

So I do my own heavy lifting when it comes to both systematical and biblical theology.

I have false beliefs as I write this response. I just don't know where they are located until I engage a wide variety of the best thinkers reflecting on the data, that necessarily hold another inference to the best explanation of the scriptural data than I hold.

It is possible that Mary was ever-virgin, but not important, as she can't possibly impact salvation on the data. It is not possible that my good works will be measured against my bad ones to determine if whether I go to heaven or not on the scriptural data.

But there is great probability that what James 2 is getting at is that righteous acts always accompany salvation, and one should be afraid of their commitment if they have no righteous acts attesting to their salvation. But I could be wrong and the Catholic interpretation, faith + works of righteousness is true! even though it would abrogate all the current understanding of Paul, Peter, the author of Hebrews.

So we all have false beliefs we are unaware of. A few of us search those out by engaging other explanations of the data.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The problem there, of course, is that you are comparing a single denomination (RCC) to many, many other churches at once and treating the latter as though they are all one.
I agree that it is not a fair comparison. But I was attempting to answer what the poster said to me, and that seemed to be his position.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not what I said. You've extended what I said into a strawman.

I'm not so concerned about beliefs changing here. I think God is gradually giving people new insight into deep aspects of the such as the logical problem of evil and suffering, that are only within the last few decades.

On my view Protestants have as many false beliefs as Catholics. The reason for this is that they have adopted a Catholic methodology, namely, argument from authority.

Now remember that it took the Early Church Fathers 400 years after the NT was first written to fully discover the nature of Jesus and the Trinity.

So if the revelations coming to Chalcedon and Ephesus were so important (having to do with Christ's nature), why would G od not intervene with the founding of the Church in Acts with that revelation?

So we engage and understand over time. Slowly eliminating false beliefs. If I make a careful study of Augustine I find he make so e great philosophical points, but his allegorizing of scripture destroys meaning. I don't have to accept his premises built on exegetical fallacies. And further I can reject Calvinists arguments to Augustine as to exegeting passages in the same vein as say Calvin. This actually weapons not strengthens Calvin.

So I do my own heavy lifting when it comes to both systematical and biblical theology.

I have false beliefs as I write this response. I just don't know where they are located until I engage a wide variety of the best thinkers reflecting on the data, that necessarily hold another inference to the best explanation of the scriptural data than I hold.

It is possible that Mary was ever-virgin, but not important, as she can't possibly impact salvation on the data. It is not possible that my good works will be measured against my bad ones to determine if whether I go to heaven or not on the scriptural data.

But there is great probability that what James 2 is getting at is that righteous acts always accompany salvation, and one should be afraid of their commitment if they have no righteous acts attesting to their salvation. But I could be wrong and the Catholic interpretation, faith + works of righteousness is true! even though it would abrogate all the current understanding of Paul, Peter, the author of Hebrews.

So we all have false beliefs we are unaware of. A few of us search those out by engaging other explanations of the data.

I apologize if I misunderstood your point. But you did mention the Catholic beliefs changing and brought up a couple of Carholic doctrines.

Ok, I will start over. :)

I am aware of the whole idea f progressive revelation and the thoughts that believe we, with our academic abilities, can better understand what the Apostles taught than the ancient Church did, or know more truth. That was my background and belief for a long time.

I simply reject that now. It took some centuries for the Church to codify beliefs contra various heresies that arose, but the Apostles certainly recognized God the Father, Christ as divine, and the coming of the Holy Spirit.

And I can't even take seriously the idea that scholastic efforts somehow outweigh what the Holy Spirit gave to the Apostles.

Was the Truth delivered "once and for all" to the Church as Scripture says, or not?

Leaving all that behind, and going back to the original question of the ever-virginity of Mary - what could one possibly discover or interpret 2000 years later that would give better insight into the personal details of a woman's life than the experiences of a number of people who actually knew her?

And then you introduce another issue. :) I don't believe God is going to place our good deeds on one side of a set of balances, and our sins on the other, and whichever one weighs more determines our eternal fate. That seems a ridiculous charicature, to me. I don't know that anyone believes that? (Forgive me please, folks, if someone out there DOES believe that, I don't mean to be ridiculing. But I don't think anyone does.)

Rather - when we sin, whatever the sin is, it has an effect on our soul. Maybe tiny. Maybe great. Maybe something that works to twist us toward self and away from God. And the next sin, has an effect, and so on. But by the same token, when we sacrifice our lunch to give it to a homeless person, that affects our soul too, making us just that tiny bit more like Christ. Many such acts can transform us. Our faith then is living.

How God judges is His business - not mine. I will certainly say that the understanding some have - to only believe is necessary, is refuted in the Scriptures. Even the demons believe. They know who Christ is, they recognize Him, and certainly believe He exists, but are not "saved". A richer translation of the words used demonstrate that it is not only mental assent that is necessary, but dependence, trust, fidelity. The first commandment as Christ says is to love God - with all of one's heart, soul, and strength. He also says that if we love Him, we will obey His commandments.

What this has to do with the ever-virginity of the Virgin Mary, I don't see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And I can't even take seriously the idea that scholastic efforts somehow outweigh what the Holy Spirit gave to the Apostles.

So the church fathers, including ten church councils, wrote next to nothing about the person of the Holy Spirit. The Eastern Orthodox, according to a RCC priest and philosophy professor friend of mine, has greatly exceeded knowledge of the HS over and above RCC.

That is the type of knowledge to which I m referring. It is non-canonical. Just as the Church Fathers held the teaching of those called by God to write the scriptures (NT canon) to be higher than the didache, or writings of the Church Fathers.

So we progress in our knowledge, but do we want to say that God stopped nuancing that knowledge with fall of the Roman Empire? I am not a creedal Christian because I read and study the history. These were great historical debates but many of the church fathers called other church fathers, "heretics." They all had some good exegetical practice and some suspect or onerous practice.

Trent was not a council that even appear to seek knowledge but rather change the foundational authority, much the way the masserites destroyed some of the key messianic prophecies in the early 2nd century.

I am suspect of men, and especially groups of politicians calling themselves clergy.

That said. I don't despise what they write due to their character, but due to its poor explanatory power of the scriptural evidence.

And then you introduce another issue. :) I don't believe God is going to place our good deeds on one side of a set of balances, and our sins on the other, and whichever one weighs more determines our eternal fate. That seems a ridiculous charicature, to me. I don't know that anyone believes that? (
Perhaps you don't get a chance to evangelize much, but this is the common view in the Western world for 100 years +

It is called pelagianism

Gandhi is in heaven, with Bhuddha, and other "good" people even though they rejected Christ by name.

when we sacrifice our lunch to give it to a homeless person, that affects our soul too, making us just that tiny bit more like Christ. Many such acts can transform us. Our faith then is living.

Now we are getting to what is important. Our transformation into Christ's likeness is so we can continue the work of advancing the kingdom of God. We are ambassadors representing him, if we are obedient and disciplined in working with the HS on our sanctification we will have evidence of our salvation (James 2)

I will certainly say that the understanding some have - to only believe is necessary, is refuted in the Scriptures. Even the demons believe.

So here James clearly is not refuting Paul who says in Romans 10, "If you confess Jesus Christ as Lord and believe in your heart, you will be saved."

Demons don't "trust," Jesus!

Trust, not believe in something you can't prove, is the first-century view of faith.

So we don't want to conflate trust in Jesus as savior and invitation for him to be Lord of our life, with demonic knowledge that Jesus exists. That makes a strawman of the semi-Augustinian, and Augustinian views of salvation.

As for. Mary's ever-virgin.

Against Helvidius.

This tract appeared about a.d. 383. The question which gave occasion to it was whether the Mother of our Lord remained a Virgin after His birth. Helvidiusmaintained that the mention in the Gospels of the sisters and brethren of ourLord was proof that the Blessed Virgin had subsequent issue, and he supported his opinion by the writings of Tertullian and Victorinus. The outcome of his views was that virginity was ranked below matrimony. Jerome vigorously takes the other side, and tries to prove that the sisters and brethren spoken of, were either children of Joseph by a former marriage, or first cousins, children of the sister of the Virgin. A detailed account of the controversy will be found in Farrar'sEarly Days of Christianity, pp. 124 sq. When Jerome wrote this treatise both he and Helvidius were at Rome, and Damasus was Pope. The only contemporary notice preserved of Helvidius is that by Jerome in the following pages.

Jerome maintains against Helvidius three propositions:—

1st. That Joseph was only putatively, not really, the husband of Mary.

2d. That the brethren of the Lord were his cousins, not his own brethren.

3d. That virginity is better than the married state.

Notice how Jerome argues?

From the consequences of virginity being a higher state than matrimony.(fallacy of consequences)

He also suggest brothers are cousins (argument from ignorance) we have no trouble discerning the relations between cousins or various relations in the rest of the gospels.
All of a sudden we have to believe those same authors are NOT able to describe the difference.

Where is the evidence in scripture that Joseph was married before ? (Another argument from ignorance)

These types of rhetorical devices abound in church father's writings, not to mention the magisterium's, or popes. They are fallacious, making them NOT POSSIBLY TRUE (the arguments that is, the propositions could be true).

When I look at some the heretical things Calvin unwittingly wrote or Luther, I'm stunned. But when I recognize that they are just fallible men as I am, it becomes clearer.

My job is to maximize the number of true beliefs I have about the external world, including God, his purpose, how I can be in relationship with him, how I can be transformed into Christ likeness so I can love people the way he did.

Mary has nothing to do with that process whatsoever, in my view, but that could be a false belief on my part.

"5 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man[a] Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time." (1 Tim. 2:5,6)

"Therefore, brothers,[c] since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, 20 by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our heartssprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water." (Hebrews 10:19-22)

Where does Mary play a role? I'm already able to enter the Holy of Holies (God's presence) due to Christ's sacrifice, what could Mary add to the second person of the Trinity's sacrificial death? His sacrifice is sufficient. Nothing else needed. No coredemtrix.

""She renounced her mother's rights for the salvation of mankind and, as far as it depended on her, offered her Son to placate divine justice; so we may say that with Christ she redeemed mankind."(pope Benedict XV 1922)

So if she didn't renounce those rights Jesus would have gone home and not done the will of his father?

This is the type of sloppy thinking that runs through the church's history, whether it be early or late, RC! Protestant, EO, SO, GO.

The scriptures mean everything. At 18 years old I was anxious to see how the Early church interpreted these things. But upon doing the research was horrified to see the naive exegetical fallacies by people like Origin and Augustine, and the propaganda and vitriol by Turtulian. If it weren't for ignatius, Papius, Clement, and Polycarp, I would have thrown all the church fathers in the trash.

I am free to interact and learn how they learned of certain doctrines, and their development. But if they arose through fallacy and were propped up through papal political power rather than being the best explanation of what the God-breathed author intended his audience to understand then

I am standing in the direct way of God's communication with man!

I take that seriously.

I think a large number of church leaders will suffer loss in the bema seat judgement due to carelessly trampling underfoot the revelations given by God in the scriptures.

My goal is to avoid that charge at all cost.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So the church fathers, including ten church councils, wrote next to nothing about the person of the Holy Spirit. The Eastern Orthodox, according to a RCC priest and philosophy professor friend of mine, has greatly exceeded knowledge of the HS over and above RCC.

That is the type of knowledge to which I m referring. It is non-canonical. Just as the Church Fathers held the teaching of those called by God to write the scriptures (NT canon) to be higher than the didache, or writings of the Church Fathers.

So we progress in our knowledge, but do we want to say that God stopped nuancing that knowledge with fall of the Roman Empire? I am not a creedal Christian because I read and study the history. These were great historical debates but many of the church fathers called other church fathers, "heretics." They all had some good exegetical practice and some suspect or onerous practice.

Trent was not a council that even appear to seek knowledge but rather change the foundational authority, much the way the masserites destroyed some of the key messianic prophecies in the early 2nd century.

I am suspect of men, and especially groups of politicians calling themselves clergy.

That said. I don't despise what they write due to their character, but due to its poor explanatory power of the scriptural evidence.

Perhaps you don't get a chance to evangelize much, but this is the common view in the Western world for 100 years +

It is called pelagianism

Gandhi is in heaven, with Bhuddha, and other "good" people even though they rejected Christ by name.

Now we are getting to what is important. Our transformation into Christ's likeness is so we can continue the work of advancing the kingdom of God. We are ambassadors representing him, if we are obedient and disciplined in working with the HS on our sanctification we will have evidence of our salvation (James 2)

So here James clearly is not refuting Paul who says in Romans 10, "If you confess Jesus Christ as Lord and believe in your heart, you will be saved."

Demons don't "trust," Jesus!

Trust, not believe in something you can't prove, is the first-century view of faith.

So we don't want to conflate trust in Jesus as savior and invitation for him to be Lord of our life, with demonic knowledge that Jesus exists. That makes a strawman of the semi-Augustinian, and Augustinian views of salvation.

As for. Mary's ever-virgin.

Against Helvidius.

This tract appeared about a.d. 383. The question which gave occasion to it was whether the Mother of our Lord remained a Virgin after His birth. Helvidiusmaintained that the mention in the Gospels of the sisters and brethren of ourLord was proof that the Blessed Virgin had subsequent issue, and he supported his opinion by the writings of Tertullian and Victorinus. The outcome of his views was that virginity was ranked below matrimony. Jerome vigorously takes the other side, and tries to prove that the sisters and brethren spoken of, were either children of Joseph by a former marriage, or first cousins, children of the sister of the Virgin. A detailed account of the controversy will be found in Farrar'sEarly Days of Christianity, pp. 124 sq. When Jerome wrote this treatise both he and Helvidius were at Rome, and Damasus was Pope. The only contemporary notice preserved of Helvidius is that by Jerome in the following pages.

Jerome maintains against Helvidius three propositions:—

1st. That Joseph was only putatively, not really, the husband of Mary.

2d. That the brethren of the Lord were his cousins, not his own brethren.

3d. That virginity is better than the married state.

Notice how Jerome argues?

From the consequences of virginity being a higher state than matrimony.(fallacy of consequences)

He also suggest brothers are cousins (argument from ignorance) we have no trouble discerning the relations between cousins or various relations in the rest of the gospels.
All of a sudden we have to believe those same authors are NOT able to describe the difference.

Where is the evidence in scripture that Joseph was married before ? (Another argument from ignorance)

These types of rhetorical devices abound in church father's writings, not to mention the magisterium's, or popes. They are fallacious, making them NOT POSSIBLY TRUE (the arguments that is, the propositions could be true).

When I look at some the heretical things Calvin unwittingly wrote or Luther, I'm stunned. But when I recognize that they are just fallible men as I am, it becomes clearer.

My job is to maximize the number of true beliefs I have about the external world, including God, his purpose, how I can be in relationship with him, how I can be transformed into Christ likeness so I can love people the way he did.

Mary has nothing to do with that process whatsoever, in my view, but that could be a false belief on my part.

"5 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man[a] Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time." (1 Tim. 2:5,6)

"Therefore, brothers,[c] since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, 20 by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our heartssprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water." (Hebrews 10:19-22)

Where does Mary play a role? I'm already able to enter the Holy of Holies (God's presence) due to Christ's sacrifice, what could Mary add to the second person of the Trinity's sacrificial death? His sacrifice is sufficient. Nothing else needed. No coredemtrix.

""She renounced her mother's rights for the salvation of mankind and, as far as it depended on her, offered her Son to placate divine justice; so we may say that with Christ she redeemed mankind."(pope Benedict XV 1922)

So if she didn't renounce those rights Jesus would have gone home and not done the will of his father?

This is the type of sloppy thinking that runs through the church's history, whether it be early or late, RC! Protestant, EO, SO, GO.

The scriptures mean everything. At 18 years old I was anxious to see how the Early church interpreted these things. But upon doing the research was horrified to see the naive exegetical fallacies by people like Origin and Augustine, and the propaganda and vitriol by Turtulian. If it weren't for ignatius, Papius, Clement, and Polycarp, I would have thrown all the church fathers in the trash.

I am free to interact and learn how they learned of certain doctrines, and their development. But if they arose through fallacy and were propped up through papal political power rather than being the best explanation of what the God-breathed author intended his audience to understand then

I am standing in the direct way of God's communication with man!

I take that seriously.

I think a large number of church leaders will suffer loss in the bema seat judgement due to carelessly trampling underfoot the revelations given by God in the scriptures.

My goal is to avoid that charge at all cost.
Since your posts are at odds with our statement of purpose; you would do well to confine your posting to General Theology.

Continued posting of this nature in this forum will prove to be very "stressful".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Since your posts are at odds with our statement of purpose; you would do well to confine your posting to General Theology.

Continued posting of this nature in this forum will prove to be very "stressful".

Hmm? Actual not sure what you mean by "Stressful"?

Thought this was a site to discuss question about traditional theology of which maryology is one aspect.

That said, I had forgotten I was on this particular forum and will take this discussion off this forum. Sorry.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hmm? Actual not sure what you mean by "Stressful"?

Thought this was a site to discuss question about traditional theology of which maryology is one aspect.

That said, I had forgotten I was on this particular forum and will take this discussion off this forum. Sorry.

Please read this. http://www.christianforums.com/threads/traditional-theology-statement-of-purpose.7859802/

We have had a lot of issues of late with members coming in here and attacking traditional theology, which is against the Statement of Purpose; and staff is taking a more Active approach to enforcement. Staff contacts can result in warnings and possibly even restrictions of access to specific forums and even CF itself. You are welcome to post here, just do so within the parameters of the SoP.

If you want to argue against traditional views and theologies, you may do so in General Theology.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Please read this. http://www.christianforums.com/threads/traditional-theology-statement-of-purpose.7859802/

We have had a lot of issues of late with members coming in here and attacking traditional theology, which is against the Statement of Purpose; and staff is taking a more Active approach to enforcement. Staff contacts can result in warnings and possibly even restrictions of access to specific forums and even CF itself. You are welcome to post here, just do so within the parameters of the SoP.

If you want to argue against traditional views and theologies, you may do so in General Theology.
Completely agree.

Read this statement a month ago and understand the purpose, my mistake was in getting an alert that someone had "replied" to my comment and didn't even look at which forum it was located in. "We preach Christ and him crucified," is all that is central to belief, and the rationality of our beliefs is a side issue. Again sorry.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Completely agree.

Read this statement a month ago and understand the purpose, my mistake was in getting an alert that someone had "replied" to my comment and didn't even look at which forum it was located in. "We preach Christ and him crucified," is all that is central to belief, and the rationality of our beliefs is a side issue. Again sorry.
It takes some getting used to, no doubt about it. I got an alert from an ancient thread about Sola Scriptura and almost tore somebody a new nostril about teaching against traditional Christianity but I double-checked the forum and realized that the thread was in General Theology rather than Traditional Theology. Luckily I didn't submit that post.

Something to keep in mind is that some of us can be a little testy around here because there has been a fairly noticeable influx of untraditional Christians and even some non-Trinitarians lately drive-by posting in Traditional Theology and bending forum rules. I imagine the mods have had their hands full trying to ride herd on the rule-breakers in all these different threads while also keeping trigger-happy posters like me in check.

Still, if you have questions about traditional Christian beliefs, this forum is a pretty good place to discuss them. None of us mind answering questions; justifying our beliefs to seemingly hostile parties that just want to cause trouble is what we're a little tired of. But honest inquiry is no problem at all if you have questions about stuff.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, I guess I won't post my reply. I had it half-written, but no time to finish. We've had the festival this weekend, and I just spent three glorious days in the Church, receiving visitors, answering questions, and so on, with Byzantine chant in the background and surrounded by all of our icons. It's been a glorious weekend, so blessed by it.

But thank you for understanding. This forum was a long time being put together, and takes a lot of work to monitor at times. And after so many times answering the same kinds of posts, I'm afraid it does get old. But most certainly, we don't mind answering questions. Indeed, it might be important to point out that among our regular membership here are those of us that disagree on many doctrines. But we do respect each other. :)

Upvote 0