Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
William Batson knows firsthand that when friends visit, they're likely to gather in the kitchen. The 6-year-old regularly invites guests into his play kitchen to prepare pretend meals, wash dishes or stow food in the refrigerator.

"The stove talks," says William, who lives in Phoenix.

Mary Batson bought her son a kitchen set before he could walk. She thought it was a great toy, although her husband, Alan, had doubts.

"He rolled his eyes," she says. "I said, 'What are you thinking? Look at all the male chefs."'

These days both Batsons are fine with William spending time in the play kitchen. Alan, who enjoys cooking, came around quickly after he saw how much fun his son had with the toy.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/personal/12/04/sex.and.toys.ap/index.html

immersedingrace

I feel like I've been dipped in Diamonds!
Aug 10, 2004
New York City
✟19,895.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
William Batson knows firsthand that when friends visit, they're likely to gather in the kitchen. The 6-year-old regularly invites guests into his play kitchen to prepare pretend meals, wash dishes or stow food in the refrigerator.

Mary Batson bought her son a kitchen set before he could walk. She thought it was a great toy, although her husband, Alan, had doubts.

"He rolled his eyes," she says. "I said, 'What are you thinking? Look at all the male chefs."'

These days both Batsons are fine with William spending time in the play kitchen. Alan, who enjoys cooking, came around quickly after he saw how much fun his son had with the toy.

I think it's a great idea...My three year old nephew asked for a kitchen set for Christmas...they're buying him and easy bake oven!!!! his dad wanted to be a chef when he was little as well....he's not, but that's what he wanted to do and he does pretty well in the kitchen!

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do find it funny that toy stoves and stuff are mainly thought of as girls toys. But the restaurant business has historically been a very sexist and male dominated industry. Female chefs used to be a rarity, but they are more common now. Not too long ago female chefs were almost entirely pastry chefs. I'm told much of that old sexism still exists in kitchens, though not nearly to the extent that it used to. But watch cooking shows where they go to various restaurants and talk to chefs, and see how many are girls.

In my family, it's the guys that are the good cooks. My dad, two of my uncles, and my brother in law are very very good cooks, and I sorta take after them. At thanksgiving the guys will be in the kitchen discussing on how to cook the various dishes and drinking wine, while the girls are in the living room drinking beer and watching football.

Upvote 0

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When my first son was two, my wife bought a toy kitchen for him. He played with it and used as a toy kitchen for about a year, after that, it became a fort to throw 'lego bomb's' at me.

Since then, his two younger brothers have used it as a fort, an obstacle, something to push someone else into it (which is frown upon), etc.. Their little sister now uses it to cook, bake, store her play dishes. She's two. I'll have to keep an eye out for 'lego bombs' in a few months.

Upvote 0

craigerNY

I bring nothing to the table
Feb 28, 2007
Upstate NY
✟56,288.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I never had a "toy kitchen" but my parents started teaching me how to cook as soon as I was tall enough. I remember the first thing I learned to cook was an egg. They also taught me at a young age how to do the laundry, how to do dishes, how to clean, mow, rake.......briliant move on their behalf. I was not so greatful at the time but I am now.

I still like Bill's idea better from my perspective.

Upvote 0

Foolish_Fool

Wanderer
Jun 3, 2006
Here
✟19,855.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
In retrospect, it would have been nice if I had been taught or encouraged on cooking. Never cooked anything more than Ramen until I was about 21-22. Even now it's still a struggle to feed myself. Just Monday night I was out with a friend and she told me why my meat always came out grey =/

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In retrospect, it would have been nice if I had been taught or encouraged on cooking. Never cooked anything more than Ramen until I was about 21-22. Even now it's still a struggle to feed myself. Just Monday night I was out with a friend and she told me why my meat always came out grey =/

Overcooking it or just boiling it? :p

Upvote 0

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Psshh... toy oven?

The boy is six - he's old enough to start cooking for real. Seriously - get him in the kitchen and start teaching him things. It'll benefit him far more in the long run, it's less likely to become "boring" than a fake kitchen, and it's cheaper. What's there to lose?

Upvote 0

Foolish_Fool

Wanderer
Jun 3, 2006
Here
✟19,855.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Overcooking it or just boiling it? :p

Apparently you're not supposed to slowly ramp up the temperature. I was always afraid of burning stuff that I always did long cooks at low temps with an increase at the very end.

Haven't actually tried it since I haven't been to the store lately. I'll finally have a decent steak or set off the fire alarm, either way it'll be interesting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Buy him a bb gun and tell him never to go out to the bird bath with the gun loaded, especially in late evening when it's filled with birds. But also tell him if he should shoot something bring in into the real kitchen and toss it in the sink and tell mom to cook it up quick.

He's a boy!!!! Come on now people!

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Apparently you're not supposed to slowly ramp up the temperature. I was always afraid of burning stuff that I always did long cooks at low temps with an increase at the very end.

yeeeech. yeah, that'll do it.

Upvote 0

TexasSky

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Texas
✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I've done children's work most of my life, and I've raised both a son and a daughter. The males ALWAYS played with the kitchen and the females ALWAYS played with the tool benches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TexasSky

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Texas
✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Psshh... toy oven?

The boy is six - he's old enough to start cooking for real. Seriously - get him in the kitchen and start teaching him things. It'll benefit him far more in the long run, it's less likely to become "boring" than a fake kitchen, and it's cheaper. What's there to lose?
Your house if you let a 6 year old "cook".

Upvote 0

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Your house if you let a 6 year old "cook".
I never burned down the house. Given an appropriate measure of education and discipline, other six-year-olds should not have a problem either. Obviously, a parent should be in the room for the first few times, and after the child knows what they're doing, within a room's distance.

Upvote 0

immersedingrace

I feel like I've been dipped in Diamonds!
Aug 10, 2004
New York City
✟19,895.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Kitchens for boys?
Why not just a frige? With root beer.

And an easy chair.

Maybe if the kitchen wasn't pink, it might be ok.
Maybe a flushing toilet?
My five year old nephew has just that....oh wait, that's just the easy chair and root beer...he leaves the cooking to mom.....and not a bad idea since she's great at it.....

who cares if the kitchen is pink though...

Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I played with my sister's toy kitchen all the time. Of course, I have a dad who absolutely loves cooking and is great at it, and a mom who can (sort of) make simple recipes. Plus my grandma let me help cook my breakfast when I was a little kid staying at her house while my parents worked. I don't cook too much now. I live at home, with dad the chef, after spending 1 year in a dorm, and 1 year in an apartment where I did some cooking.

Upvote 0