• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

tourette syndrome

bumblebee62331

Oct 12, 2005
✟37,794.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
A girl who used to go to school with me has tourettes. She got teased badly because of it. I didnt then - and still don't - completely understand the illness, but I do understand that it caused her a lot of hurt emotionally. I hear she is doing well now in her new town but I am sad that she didn't get the support she needed and deserved.

Anyway I just wanted to pop my head in here. :)

Upvote 0

MadFingerPainter

in His hands
Jun 12, 2006
KS
✟18,077.00
Faith
Baptist
A girl who used to go to school with me has tourettes. She got teased badly because of it. I didnt then - and still don't - completely understand the illness, but I do understand that it caused her a lot of hurt emotionally. I hear she is doing well now in her new town but I am sad that she didn't get the support she needed and deserved.

Anyway I just wanted to pop my head in here. :)
sounds like my life. lol! i've had it for 31 yrs. & i still don't understand it. i think in some ways it is a blessing. despite the bad stuff. it makes you look at people differently than most do. you have a bit more compassion & understanding i think. i'm glad to hear she's doing well.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟423,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MormonFriend

Senior Veteran
Sep 2, 2003
California
Visit site
✟6,575.00
Faith
Mormon
just thought i'd start a thread. if there's anyone here with it or someone with family or friends with it...feel free to pop in. :hug:

"Ohh! Pick me! Pick me!"

I have Tourette's. Fortunately it is mild. Both my brother and his wife have it on the mild side, and didn't know it when they got married, so their kids got double whamo on the genes. Two of the three cannot live without assistance.

It is not an illness, as someone posted it. It is a neurological disorder. Plenty on the web if you want to know more. For the disadvantages I have, there are associated strengths I attribute to it. God made us different for divine purposes.

I didn't know what it was until my early 30's, when they diagnosed my nephew. I read the symptoms and said, yeah, I do that, and yea, that is me too.

It can be tragic for many, but that just gives us an opportunity to love and serve others in their special needs, which may well be one of the reasons God makes people different.

</IMG>

Upvote 0

MrSnow

May 30, 2007
✟8,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I didn't know that my symptoms were Tourette's until a few years ago (I'm 25 now). My case is MUCH milder than it was when I was a kid, but it's still there. People always asked why I twitched my nose, or blinked so much (those were my two big ones). I still blink heavily, but not often, as when I was younger. Almost all of my tics have been associated with my left side (left nostril, left side of my neck, left shoulder, left hip, left knee). I have urges in almost every joint on my left side. My right side has been mostly unaffected.

Does anyone else have one side that Tourette's favors?

As I said, it is MUCH milder than it used to be. Most people don't even know that I have it until they spend a LOT of time around me and see a weird blink or something.

I do a lot of things to hide it. Sometimes I'll massage the particular muscle that is giving me a hard time, and make it look like I'm scratching or something.

Does anyone with Tourette's (either you or someone you know) also have a speech impediment?

Upvote 0

Joshua83

Apr 1, 2006
Elkhart, Indiana
✟26,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
I was first diagnossed with Tourette's back in August of 1995 at the age of 11 (I'm 23 now). I also have Bipolar, OCD, Asperger's, 2/3 brain damage, yet I can live a normal (please try to define the word normal) life just like anybody else, just a little bit different. I used to take medicine for it called Orap. And the only major side affect to the Orap was my eyes would roll so far to the top of my head that you could only see the whites of my eyes. It was very painful for me. I eventually was on so many medicines at once, I can't begin to say what it was doing the vital organs in my body. My Tourette's is because of what happend in the delivery room during the delviery process. Of course there are details I won't get into at the moment. But I can that it is not an illness or diesease or anything like that. I know God made me this way for a purpose I don't even understand yet. I don't always like talking about to be honest. But I feel as though I must.

Upvote 0

MormonFriend

Senior Veteran
Sep 2, 2003
California
Visit site
✟6,575.00
Faith
Mormon
... My Tourette's is because of what happend in the delivery room during the delviery process. ...

That is contrary to what I know of Tourette's. Maybe I am out of the loop. Can you link me to a web site that supports this?

Thanks!

MF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MormonFriend

Senior Veteran
Sep 2, 2003
California
Visit site
✟6,575.00
Faith
Mormon
being that I am adopted I'm just going by the info my biological mother gave me on this.

I am quite certain that Tourette Syndorme is totally genetic. We were always cautious when our kid were falling in love, to watch for the signs. My kids have it in a lesser form than I do, but if their spouses had Tourette's, then their kids could be severe.

Upvote 0

Mikep

Oct 31, 2008
England
✟15,130.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I am quite certain that Tourette Syndorme is totally genetic. We were always cautious when our kid were falling in love, to watch for the signs. My kids have it in a lesser form than I do, but if their spouses had Tourette's, then their kids could be severe.

no, tourettes isnt entrely genetic, its very rare but there is enviromental tourettes, in which a persons brain chemistry can develop tourettes due to the enviroment they are living in.

i also have tourettes, i was diagnosed at the age of 13 in 1999 and have been on two types of medication for it, mine is mild but it can still cause troubles for me, but sometimes it can help when you need an emotional outlet for problems, or so ive found, also it means my family always knows when im upset because my tics get worse

Upvote 0

jimmyl

Mar 18, 2009
✟15,246.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
no, tourettes isnt entrely genetic, its very rare but there is enviromental tourettes, in which a persons brain chemistry can develop tourettes due to the enviroment they are living in.

i also have tourettes, i was diagnosed at the age of 13 in 1999 and have been on two types of medication for it, mine is mild but it can still cause troubles for me, but sometimes it can help when you need an emotional outlet for problems, or so ive found, also it means my family always knows when im upset because my tics get worse

I was diagnosed with "atypical" tourettes when I was 21. The symptoms started developing when I was 18, which is unusually late. They continued to get worse and then became accompanied by severe migraines/mild seizures. We found out later that I have Celiac's disease, and the neurological problems were probably a long term affect of it.

Upvote 0