MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
TL;DR: Pope Francis seems to be defective; I may prefer to join a church that doesn't claim indefectability.

I am writing in the hope that a forum-based conversation will help me determine my next steps in approaching my pastor at my current church, or whether I will take the (rather drastic, in my estimation) step of contacting another in another Church.

I am a convert (from a secular upbringing) to the Roman Catholic Church of some twenty years. When I converted, I did not have a particularly mature spiritual life, and did not have a very well informed understanding of the history of Christianity. Of what I did know at the time, the Roman Church made the most sense; it was apostolic, and though it had developed its dogmas, had not revised its dogma in a way that contradicted what had been before. I also understood the case for the supremacy of the Bishop of Rome; the protestant schisms were endless because there was no agreed-on authority who could settle doctrinal disputes.

When Jorge Bergoglio was elected as Pope Francis, things began to change for me. His approach of "making a mess" has indeed made a mess of my own certainty. It seems to me and many others besides, that Pope Francis is bringing about a "soft" reformation. With one hand he upholds established doctrine, while with the other he downplays it in the name of the pastroral care of souls. For example in Amoris Laeitia he grants that in some cases, the pastroral care of souls requires that spouses in second marriages can receive the Eucharist, while doing so should be applied within the traditional teaching on remarriage. Which is it that we should keep - the tradition, or the exception to it?

Then there is Francis' change to the Catechism, stating capital punishment is never admissible, despite the fact that throughout history, the Church has taught that it is quite admissible. The change is justified, I am told, because "in this day an age" there's no reason for it; that is to say the truth has not changed but the times have, and how the truth is implemented has to also change.

More recently Francis has claimed that there is greater need to international government, and that there are "some" things for which the nation-state is still suited. The Pope is entitled to his opinions about international politics and climate change, and to voice them. But there are many Catholics who, in their papolatry, hang on his every word and believe what he believes, even what he believes about spaghetti, simply because he is the Pope.

To all this I say "no thanks". The implication for me is that I am not merely rejecting Francis as a spiritual leader, I am rejecting the Papacy itself. For if the Pope may be rotten, and there have been many who were rotten, what are the effects of his rotten acts on a Church which claims to be indefectable? I have seen how apologists for Francis spin his rot inside out trying to make it fit within orthodoxy. Some are more successful than others, but there remains a excess of dross that can't be explained away.

So, I end some days wondering whether I am really a Catholic. But if not Catholic then what? I certainly have always felt a pull towards Anglicanism, which my first girlfriend assured me "was basically Catholic" and which Robin Williams called "Catholic lite". There is something about the Anglican position which I at once despise and admire, namely, its brokenness. The Bishop of Canterbury is not be able to settle any doctrinal disputes. But then, if the the Bishop of Canterbury happens to be a heretic, it is not a deadly threat to the faith itself, because no one expects him to be even close to perfect. It is simply the case that Canterbury is a heretic. I am free to go about my life as orthodox as I please. Canterbury's heresy (if Canterbury is a heretic) doesn't strike at me, because no one in his right mind would be so foolish as to worship Canterbury. But some do worship the Pope, and when the Pope says anything remotely stupid, I necessarily get bent out of shape.

So every Sunday I consider going to my local Episcopalian Church, just to see what's doin'. But I always end up going to the Catholic Church, because... well, who wants to be a turncoat. After all, the Pope is just a man like me, a sinner.
It's a hard place for you in this, and I hope you find a good answer, C. Ray.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So every Sunday I consider going to my local Episcopalian Church, just to see what's doin'. But I always end up going to the Catholic Church, because... well, who wants to be a turncoat. After all, the Pope is just a man like me, a sinner.
I came to the Catholic Church following a year long layover in the Anglican world. I understand the affection that a lot of Catholics have for Anglicanism.

If it's simply a liturgical issue for you (as it with me), there be an Ordinariate parish in your area that you can attend. Obviously it's still in communion with the Pope.

If Francis disturbs you... well, I can kind of understand that. But then I remember that popes come and go.

Upvote 0

C. Ray

Apr 12, 2019
California
✟9,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's a hard place for you in this, and I hope you find a good answer, C. Ray.
A few years later now, and I’m still struggling with it. The RCC just feels to me like an ill-fitting pair of shoes that I cling to because I’m stubborn.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A few years later now, and I’m still struggling with it. The RCC just feels to me like an ill-fitting pair of shoes that I cling to because I’m stubborn.
Thanks for being here though, I think it helps a lot of people to see that they are not alone in their questions - that is the reason I joined here originally too, I had (and still have) lots of questions.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟213,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Pray more, ask the Holy Spirit for guidance. Study the early Church and the Church fathers.

Upvote 0