Torah study: Abraham and Sarah - unlawful marriage?

RomanJudah

Sep 14, 2005
✟214.00
Faith
Messianic
Some say that Abraham kept the Law. Now, HaShem testified that Abraham kept his laws - plural - but not the Law.

It may surprise you to realize that the very marriage of Abraham and Sarah broke the Law:

Genesis 20:11,12,13

Abimelech asked Abraham, "What was your reason for doing this?"
11 Abraham replied, "I said to myself, 'There is surely no fear of God in this place, and they will kill me because of my wife.' Besides, she really is my sister, the daughter of my father, though not of my mother; and she became my wife. And when God had me wander from my father's household, I said to her, 'This is how you can show your love to me: Everywhere we go, say of me, "He is my brother."

Now, let us look at how the marriage of Abraham and Sarah violated the Torah:

Leviticus 18:9

9 " 'Do not have sexual relations with your sister, either your father's daughter or your mother's daughter, whether she was born in the same home or elsewhere.

God would not have made Sarah the matriarch of all believers while breaking the Torah - that is, if it was even in effect - which it was not!
The Torah is eternal - but not in the sense that it has always been here, like HaShem. It is eternal in the sense that it was created to last forever - just like the concept of eternal life or eternal punishment in the lake of fire.

May HaShem bless this Sabbath Day!

RJ :wave:

RomanJudah

Sep 14, 2005
✟214.00
Faith
Messianic
visionary said:
Isn't God's forgiveness wonderful..... in the midst of our unfaithfulness.

There was nothing to forgive, brother. Abraham didn't break any rule for marrying sarah in the first place.

God would never have chosen Abraham and Sarah to be patriarch and matriarch if their marriage was unholy and unlawful - I guarantee it, brother.

RJ

but yes, HaShem is very faithful to us!

Upvote 0

Wags

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2004
Oregon
✟12,463.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
RomanJudah said:
Some say that Abraham kept the Law. Now, HaShem testified that Abraham kept his laws - plural - but not the Law.

God would not have made Sarah the matriarch of all believers while breaking the Torah - that is, if it was even in effect - which it was not!
The Torah is eternal - but not in the sense that it has always been here, like HaShem. It is eternal in the sense that it was created to last forever - just like the concept of eternal life or eternal punishment in the lake of fire.

God would never have chosen Abraham and Sarah to be patriarch and matriarch if their marriage was unholy and unlawful - I guarantee it, brother.

So you make a distinction between "The Law" and "Laws" - but "the law" is made up of many instructions. So the difference appears to be only in your own semantics.

Why couldn't/wouldn't Adonai use Sarah as the matriarch of his chosen people? Was not a gentile harlott (Rahab) in the lineage of Yeshua? And David - who commited many sins was as well. Certainly Adonai wouldn't have "those law breakers" as part of the lineage of his Son.

What proof do you have that Torah wasn't in effect? Adonai says that He changes not, so just becuase Torah wasn't written (although we have no absolute proof of that) doesn't mean it didn't exist.

For example, how did Cain and Able know what sacrifices were pleasing to G-d and why was one accepted and the other was not? And how did Noah know which animals were clean vs. unclean when he was gathering them for the ark?

Upvote 0

Tea

Sep 16, 2005
✟15,772.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
This exact subject came up yesterday in our bible study. We were reading about Sarai and Abram, and someone brought up about them breaking Torah because Abram married his sister. Lev 18:11 was quoted. Someone also brought up about Moses parents. Jochebed was Amram's fathers sister? Lev 18:12 has been transgressed with that one. Yet the Lord still blessed them and brought forth the "saviour" Moses from them.
Two lines of thought prevailed.
One: That these "laws" did not exist in those days, and were quantified with Moses for the purpose of building a nation.
Two: That they did exist, and as barreness was God's curse for pursuing this, that maybe that was the "cause" of Sarai being barren?
Was the blessing of Issac, God's forgivness due to Abram's great love and obedience to God.
Personally I don't know, but these were just some of the threads of thought.
Shalom
Tea

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟577,764.44
Faith
Messianic
That they did exist, and as barreness was God's curse for pursuing this, that maybe that was the "cause" of Sarai being barren?
Was the blessing of Issac, God's forgivness due to Abram's great love and obedience to God.
This is the one that I lean towards.

Upvote 0

RomanJudah

Sep 14, 2005
✟214.00
Faith
Messianic
Tea said:
This exact subject came up yesterday in our bible study. We were reading about Sarai and Abram, and someone brought up about them breaking Torah because Abram married his sister. Lev 18:11 was quoted. Someone also brought up about Moses parents. Jochebed was Amram's fathers sister? Lev 18:12 has been transgressed with that one. Yet the Lord still blessed them and brought forth the "saviour" Moses from them.
Two lines of thought prevailed.
One: That these "laws" did not exist in those days, and were quantified with Moses for the purpose of building a nation.
Two: That they did exist, and as barreness was God's curse for pursuing this, that maybe that was the "cause" of Sarai being barren?
Personally I don't know, but these were just some of the threads of thought.
Shalom
Tea

Excellent thoughts.

I believe that to say that The law is eternal is to say the Law is God.

Then we would be making an idol of the Law - which some have done from what I've seen.

RJ

Upvote 0

charlesseamanj

Jul 2, 2005
Saint Petersburg, Fl.
✟577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ahhhh. I was under the impression that they were married before he was called be God.

God is not going to demand a divorce (which is just as much a sin). I would imagine that he forgave him. He is a loving God you know.
God does and did overlook transgression in certin circumstances.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

charlesseamanj

Jul 2, 2005
Saint Petersburg, Fl.
✟577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus is also a decendent of a prostitute woman from Jerrico which came to the side of the hebrews. She turned to God and was forgiven. She crossed over to the grace of God. Which is what it is to be hebrew.
So theirfor, we see a model in the torah showing the grace and commpassion of God.

Upvote 0

RomanJudah

Sep 14, 2005
✟214.00
Faith
Messianic
charlesseamanj said:
Jesus is also a decendent of a prostitute woman from Jerrico which came to the side of the hebrews. She turned to God and was forgiven. She crossed over to the grace of God. Which is what it is to be hebrew.
So theirfor, we see a model in the torah showing the grace and commpassion of God.

And HaShem will show this same grace to all who have not learned to follow torah or understand that torah is his will.

If God can choose abraham and sarah, and bless their unlawful union, then he can also forgive the murder of David, and the ways that we all fall short.

RJ - Jumping to conclusions: the only excerise lazy thinkers get.

Upvote 0