Top Youth Ministry College?

S

SarahAblaze06

I have THE absolute BEST program for ya. There is a place called the CORE. It is a multi-faceted ministry that has high emphasis on youth ministry. The first year you go it is really a 9month discpleship where you are immersed in an atmosphere of holiness, prayer, servanthood, and hands-on ministry. The website is www.stageofhistory.com and the college credit information is outdated so you'd need to call the church for more detail on that. I went to a program the past two summers called Expedition Point, which is the high school version, and a 3 week intensive leadership training/outreach thing-a-ma-jig. POWERFUL stuff, and great leadership. This is a place that will get you trining in your field of interest as well as e-quip you with the tools you'll need, both college-credit-wise, and leadership/spiritual life training. Located near Tacoma, WA @ Church for all Nations. You REALLY SHOULD go check it out. Hope I helped!!!! may God lead ya, and bless you big time!

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do not major in youth ministry. Do not major in youth ministry. Do not major in youth ministry. Do not major in youth ministry. Do not major in youth ministry. Do not major in youth ministry. Do not major in youth ministry. Do not major in youth ministry. Do not major in youth ministry. Do not major in youth ministry. Do not major in youth ministry. Do not major in youth ministry. Do not major in youth ministry. Do not major in youth ministry. Do not major in youth ministry. Do not major in youth ministry. Do not major in youth ministry. Do not major in youth ministry. Do not major in youth ministry. Do not major in youth ministry.

Find a college with a really great program, and do a double major, or minor in youth ministry, but do not major in it. Very few people end up working full time for more than a year or two in youth ministry. You will have a degree in something that is not readily transferable to anything else. Major in Bible or psychology or sociology or business or education or chemistry or underwater basket weaving, but do not major in youth ministry. This is not my opinion alone. This view is shared by many people who do make their living in youth ministry.

Upvote 0

asianchexmix

No, I'm not sleeping I just have small eyes
Dec 22, 2003
Virginia
✟16,105.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is my vision. I don't think I will do full time ministry. The thing is by the time I go to seminary I will have a job. I am currently in college now and majoring in IT and getting a job. I don't think I am going to full devote my time to them but I will devote a lot of time unless God has other ideas. I will already have a BS in IT and I plan to have a job where I go. I know a lot of people say have a back up degree and that's what I plan to do. I just want to know what school has the best program at Youth Ministry. I may double major or minor in something or something but I know I want to go to Youth Ministry.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your plan sounds great!

Frankly, since I don't believe that YM should be an academic major (not that I don't think it is an important area of ministry) I have avoided knowing that much about the programs.

Check out www.petersons.com and do a college search for youth ministry and you'll come up with a list of about 40 colleges that offer the major. Happy hunting!

Upvote 0

asianchexmix

Dec 22, 2003
Virginia
✟16,105.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The churches I've been going to were all Prebs. but the one where I grew the most was where there was no denomination. I think we called it an Assembly of God. I know that I want to be a youth group pastor but don't know which is the best to go to. Any other inputs?

Upvote 0

ALASKACHICK10

~Proud Mommy~
Aug 8, 2004
Maricopa,az
✟10,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hey, well, My youth Pastor went to Northwest Bible College out side of Saettle somewhere I think. I think its through the Assmebly of God.. my youth Pastor has been there for 8 years but he is leaving cuz God called him to do something else so yeah..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CottonBall

Sep 24, 2005
✟7,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I've never herd anything bad about both Moody Bible Institute in Chicago, and also Word of Life which is located in both New York and Florida.

My pastor is a pretty well known Evangelist, and he reccomends both to anyone who wants to get into ministry.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
CottonBall said:
I've never herd anything bad about both Moody Bible Institute in Chicago, and also Word of Life which is located in both New York and Florida.

My pastor is a pretty well known Evangelist, and he reccomends both to anyone who wants to get into ministry.

I've heard plenty of bad about Word of Life.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Word of Life is not accredited by Middle States, the regional accrediting body that could accredit them if they met certain academic standards. They do not offer a degree of any sort, only a diploma if you conplete two years, the second year being regarded as optional. They are accredited by a tiny accrediting body that accredits obscure Christian colleges. These areas are my primary concern. If one is going to spend the time and the money, one should at least get an associates degree from a repuitable institution.

From former students I have heard a lot. Lots of control, more like a high school than a college, more about brainwashing, learning the "right" answers, but not learning how to think and reason and apply the Bible for oneself.

There are many well regarded, accredited Christian institutions all over the US and Canada where one can obtain an excellent Christian education and a real academic degree. Why are Christians so quick to settle for mediocre instead of striving for excellence?

Upvote 0

CottonBall

Sep 24, 2005
✟7,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, a lot of what you said there makes a ton of sense, but the one thing that I really do appreciate about word of life is how many people they take in from around the world, who otherwise wouldn't have the ability to learn in a classroom setting.

My church just sponsored a kid from Africa who went to Word of Life for their year program and he just went back to his country to teach at their Bible College there. I think that their program is great for people like this boy who don't have the time, the money, or the real need for a degree to go and be trained so they can return to their home countries to share what they learned.

Amen that God has given us so many personalities, so many needs, and so many ways to fulfill them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

asianchexmix

Dec 22, 2003
Virginia
✟16,105.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hate to try to bring a semi-dead thread back but is Moody considered a pretty good school? Yes I do want to be a Youth Pastor but it doesn't say that I shouldn't get the best education. Also, what else should I pursue degree wise? Should I try to double major? Get a minor? Do I attempt a Master's or is that for people who are doing full-time ministry? So many questions....heh. Thanks in advance guys!

Upvote 0

shout2thelord

adopted aussie :)
Oct 11, 2002
crewe, england
Visit site
✟2,215.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I would say find out what your denomination requires or just go with your heart. i know church in england and the pastor they just appointed has never been to Bible college but he as done a lot of studying of the bible and can teach and has a great heart. people will look for your character more than anything. so I guess pray and check a few places out ask God what to do. thats what I did and now im studying pastoral counselling at hillsong its only a 2yr diploma but im its really practical and you see how the church works also you can do a third year internship.

We have an awesome youth ministry here as well there is a one yr course in youth ministry but you could always switch to pastoral for 2nd yr then intern with one of the youth ministries in 3rd.

the website is www.hillsongcollege.com

it depends what your looking for we learn bible stuff but its mostly about learning to be a servant leader.

Upvote 0

Labayu

Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
✟15,538.00
Faith
Christian
Yeah, you should definately consider Hillsong. It may only be a diploma but the name carries a lot of weight and it's AOG.

It's only worth it for you if you do the 1st year youth internship IMHO... but if you do then you'll be one of 2 people (on the city side, more on the Hills) who basically run that age group throughout the week and weekend. Considering that we get 3,000 kids on a friday night between City & Hills and the diff age groups, you'll be hard pressed to get any better hands on experiance...

but ONLY if you do the first year internship! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

asianchexmix

Dec 22, 2003
Virginia
✟16,105.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
asianchexmix said:
Hate to try to bring a semi-dead thread back but is Moody considered a pretty good school? Yes I do want to be a Youth Pastor but it doesn't say that I shouldn't get the best education. Also, what else should I pursue degree wise? Should I try to double major? Get a minor? Do I attempt a Master's or is that for people who are doing full-time ministry? So many questions....heh. Thanks in advance guys!

Maybe rebumping this post wasn't a good idea. The original question(s) are above. Sorry but I didn't get the answers I was looking for...plus Australia is sooooo far. I like these here United States.

Upvote 0