Douvie

Nov 27, 2011
Kyneton
✟8,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is 51 too old to learn to read Latin or not? I don't intend to take classes, I would like to buy a couple of books that suppose to teach one how to read it though. Any suggestion and/or comments?

NNNNNever too Old or too young to learn.

Upvote 0
K

Kingsdotter

Is 51 too old to learn to read Latin or not? I don't intend to take classes, I would like to buy a couple of books that suppose to teach one how to read it though. Any suggestion and/or comments?

No it's not too late to learn Latin. I know this post is old, so I hope you learnt it. I am Catholic, so I had to learn a bit of it

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

My mom started learning Hebrew around 60 and then started taking Hebrew classes at the U of M because they allow people 62 and over to audit classes for free. If she can do it, then you can. I would advise finding a study partner if you can.

Upvote 0

Amatorreginae

Jul 10, 2014
✟7,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You're never too old to learn Latin. One book the student might try is Teach Yourself Latin, by Gavin Betts, published by Hodder & Stoughton. I have used that and the Vulgate New Testament. And of course, there's a wealth of material available on the Net.

• Love
Reactions: jamiec
Upvote 0

Offeiriad

Christian Spiritual Guide
Jun 25, 2012
France
✟22,653.00
Country
France
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Vulgate is a bit 'modern' to use alongside texts teaching classical Latin, which flowered a few centuries earlier.
If you are old enough to be in your second childhood, then 'Minimus' is a fun primary school age course, and of course you can read Harry Potter and Winnie the Pooh in Latin as well!

• Love
Upvote 0

SHETALKSTOANGELS

Supporter
Sep 4, 2016
NY
✟1,611.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
No.
I am 55 and studying Egyptian Arabic. I have however skipped the writing, as the menopause fairy ate my brain and I have lost some cognitive ability, so learning the language and being conversational is good enough for me.

Give it a shot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You're never too old. Never. Contact people at textkit.com or somewhere and tell them what your goals are, if you aren't familiar with how to do this sort of thing. Find a textbook and work through it carefully. Work some every day. Ask questions if you have them.

Upvote 0

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟42,255.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
No. The thing is, to persevere. I have found it very helpful to read in Latin a book I already know very well in English.

Grammar and vocabulary, and the “habits” of the language, can be picked up only by constant and thorough immersion - to know what words mean, is not knowing Latin; one must get used to thinking in Latin.

My recommendation: any Biblical book you know very well. Psalms might be a good choice, because most Psalms are fairly short.

If you want pure Classical Latin, the three great models for Latin prose are Julius Caesar, Marcus Tullius Cicero, and Livy. I suggest Caesar, De Bello Gallico as probably more straightforward than the others - Cicero’s Latin can be rather involved.

If you want poetry, try a Book of Vergil’s Aeneid - Book 1 or 4 or 6 would probably be best. 10 lines a day thoroughly understood is far better than 20 or 50 or 100 not clearly understand.

There is a vast body of Christian Latin - not all of it RC. The Reformers might be worth a look, like their Catholic opponents. Latin was the international language of learning well into the 19th century.

For some modern Latin, you can read Vicipaedia:Praefatio - Vicipaedia

- this article and the links: Nuntii Latini - Wikipedia

For books in Latin:

www.archive.org

www.books.Google.com

The Latin Library

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums