Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim B

Jan 12, 2004
Nacogdoches Texas
✟8,962.00
Faith
Christian
I have a question (please don’t get defensive) … Why is there such an fixation with tongues on this forum? We have dealt at length with …

“A tongues question,”
“Speaking in tongues?.”
“To those that speak in tongues.”
“Praying in tongues,”
“Just some questions” (about tongues),”
“Must I speak in tongues to be Baptized in the Holy Spirit?,”
“Speaking in Tongues (All questions answered),
“Question about tongues,”
“Benefits of praying in tongues,”
“Mystery of tongues " - How Did YOU Start?,”
“Initial evidence – Tongues or the Word?”
Etc.​

For instance, in the New Testament there are 260 chapters, in which tongues (as a spiritual gift) is mentioned in only 8 – i.e, in only one chapter in every 33. If you consider verses, the ratio is even lower. The Apostles felt it necessary to mention “tongues” less than 20 times in the entire New Testament but you would never know it from this forum. We have more threads devoted to the subject here than the Bible has chapters devoted to it!!

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT opposed to speaking in tongues – I am a tongue-talker myself, but I occasionally have to face the criticism that tongues is all Charismatics talk about. It’s not, of course, but I do think we talk about it too much and, if this forum is any indication, there is some justification for the criticism.

Are we obsessed with this gift, or what?

What do you think?

Jim
\o/

Jim B

Jan 12, 2004
Nacogdoches Texas
✟8,962.00
Faith
Christian
kdet said:
I think because it is one of the few things that seperates us from other denominations.
Thanks for participating, kdet.

Your response may be true, but this is a “Charismatic” forum where most of the posters have no problem with tongues. If we were responding to the questions of non-C’s about tongues, this fixation on the subject would be warranted – but we are mostly convinced on this forum.

So why all the talk about it?

Just a curious thing to me.

\o/

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jim B said:
Thanks for participating, kdet.

Your response may be true, but this is a “Charismatic” forum where most of the posters have no problem with tongues. If we were responding to the questions of non-C’s about tongues, this fixation on the subject would be warranted – but we are mostly convinced on this forum.

So why all the talk about it?

Just a curious thing to me.

\o/
Some of us probably are still learning ourselves. I've been in church all my life but just recently started attending an Assembly of God church so tongues is relatively a new concept to me. I personally have not had that gift given to me yet, and I have lots of questions.

Upvote 0

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jim B said:
I have a question (please don’t get defensive) … Why is there such an fixation with tongues on this forum?
I think the people in the OBOB would ask the same about Mary/Supposed Saint Worship/Infallibility questions. The Baptists would be immersion. The Reformed Churches, Calvin/Predestination...Etc.. you get the point. It is the difference or the myth/legend that confuses many people out there.

I think it because at one time or another, non-tongue speaking Christians have heard the rumor/myth/legend that AOG and the rest of the Pentecostal/Charismatic churches believe it is a requirement for salvation. And there are some people I have heard that will say one is not truly baptized in the Holy Spirit without this gift.

And for people that do not speak in tongues it is a frightening/spooky experience to behold for the first time. There are also websites and denominations that denounce tongues and give "their version" of what tongues are.

So anyway, I know it doesn't solve the problem, but maybe that will give you an idea of why it is such a big topic here. I guess the bottom line would be get used to it.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hello Jim. Sorry, I can't say we are. If I was to start a thread about how great tongues were, how tongues set me free, how I prayed for seventeen hours in a new tongue, or how great I am because I speak in tongues, it's different than someone coming here and asking questions about it. Where else should they go? The main people who are obsessed are those who think we are obsessed with it. In my day to day talks, I don't talk about tongues a lot. Actually it's rare. But here people either come to find out about it, and I say great, or come to complain about how we're always talking about it. I have found an equal number of threads from both groups.

Again, in all honesty, there are few other places for people who don't understand it to go, so they are welcome here, imo.

Upvote 0

Jim B

Jan 12, 2004
Nacogdoches Texas
✟8,962.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks kdet, Lollard, and Svt4Him.

I agree with all of you (kinda), and please don’t think I am anti-tongues, I’m not, but aren’t there other topics that are worthy of more attention than we are giving them?

I certainly don’t object to threads on tongues, but my concern is why is there SO MANY. It seems that we have a fixation on the subject, perhaps at the expense of other crucial issues.

Take this thread for instance. Here I am talking about tongues … again!! :eek:

Jim
\o/

Upvote 0

adamdavid

Apr 25, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Visit site
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ha! I agree, there seems to be somewhat of a pattern around here... a new thread on tongues pops up almost every day... I realize that there really isn't any other forum thats good for addressing the subject, but it does seem like a bit much... but thats alright... I suppose we should just think back to when we first found out about the gifts of the spirit (at least those of us who weren't raised in it... I suppose the rest of you would be confused by our confusion :D )... the most confusing and bizzare is probably tongues... we've seen people be healed at hospitals... there's an earthly equivalent to many gifts... there is no earthly equivalent to speaking a wierd, new language... thats probably why its so confusing to everyone... anyways... I remember when I first found out about tongues and stuff... I had lots of questions... It would have been great to have a place like this to come and have them answered... I'm sure many of you understand that, too... we just need to be patient, and do our best to answer the questions of the poor, confused, non-charismatic questioners as well as we can :D

Blessings...
AdamDavid

Reactions: PatrickM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

adamdavid

Apr 25, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Visit site
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I for one will not yeild to "no more tongues talk". Bring it on people. For it is the Holy Spirit crying to be released.
I dont think anyone's saying no more tongues talk... I think people are just getting a bit annoyed (and annoyed may even be too strong of a term...) that a new thread is started every day... it seems as though people could look at all the ones that have already been done... Obviously, people have questions, and this is certainly the best place for it... to outlaw tongues talk in the charismatic forum is an extremely absurd thought... Its just that with this much of it going on, it seems as though people might be getting lost in the manifestation, instead of looking past the tongues themselves to the glorious one who gives the tongues...

Upvote 0

Under_His_Shadow

HowwellIre-Member
Feb 15, 2004
So.Ca.
✟1,223.00
Faith
Christian
Svt4Him said:
Hello Jim. Sorry, I can't say we are. If I was to start a thread about how great tongues were, how tongues set me free, how I prayed for seventeen hours in a new tongue, or how great I am because I speak in tongues, it's different than someone coming here and asking questions about it. Where else should they go? The main people who are obsessed are those who think we are obsessed with it. In my day to day talks, I don't talk about tongues a lot. Actually it's rare. But here people either come to find out about it, and I say great, or come to complain about how we're always talking about it. I have found an equal number of threads from both groups.

Again, in all honesty, there are few other places for people who don't understand it to go, so they are welcome here, imo.

:amen: Svt... My thoughts exactly!

UHS

Upvote 0

padey

Jun 3, 2004
✟174.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Jim B said:
For instance, in the New Testament there are 260 chapters, in which tongues (as a spiritual gift) is mentioned in only 8 – i.e, in only one chapter in every 33. If you consider verses, the ratio is even lower. The Apostles felt it necessary to mention “tongues” less than 20 times in the entire New Testament but you would never know it from this forum. We have more threads devoted to the subject here than the Bible has chapters devoted to it!!
In all of the Epistles, the Eucharist is only mentioned in 1 Corinthians. So should we stop that too?

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1. Most of the threads started on this subject involved questions about the subject. The OPs are not advocating, seeking, lauding, or speaking in tongues. Including this one. I must point out the OP is in fact another thread about tongues.
2. In a land where there is very little water, thirst is a hot topic. In a land of little food, hunger is often talked about. In a land that is soulical, spiritual things are talked about.
3. People are naturally curious?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jim B

Jan 12, 2004
Nacogdoches Texas
✟8,962.00
Faith
Christian
didaskalos said:
1. Most of the threads started on this subject involved questions about the subject. The OPs are not advocating, seeking, lauding, or speaking in tongues. Including this one. I must point out the OP is in fact another thread about tongues.
2. In a land where there is very little water, thirst is a hot topic. In a land of little food, hunger is often talked about. In a land that is soulical, spiritual things are talked about.
3. People are naturally curious?
Hi Didy,

I beg to differ. This thread is not about tongues, it’s about STOPPING ALL THESE THREADS ABOUT TONGUES – giving us a break from all this repetitive talk about tongues for awhile (not forever).

People are curious? Would God they were more curious about grace.

D., don't you think tongues should no longer be the controversy we imagine it to be. It has been more than a century since the Pentecostal revival began in Topeka KN and today more Protestants (and maybe Catholics) speak in tongues than don’t – Pentecostal/Charismatic Christians outnumber all the rest. Personally, I think we are saturated with knowledge about tongues - those who don’t know about it are either not interested or not paying attention.

My concern is the inordinate attention this forum pays to the subject – at the expense of other important and vital topics. I say, tongues is getting more press than it deserves here on CF! While the Apostle did say that we should not forbid to speak in tongues (1 Cor. 14.39) and that he spoke in tongues quite a lot himself (more than you all, 14.18), he also made a point of saying, “I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I WOULD RATHER have you prophesy. He who prophesies is GREATER than one who speaks in tongues” (14.5). Paul himself did not give the undue attention to the subject that we have been giving it.

Don’t misunderstand, I am not diminishing the value of tongues (anymore than the Apostle was), I am just saying that if a person has another question on the subject of tongues tell them to start paying attention or direct them to a book (and there are hundreds on the subject!) IMO, enough has been said on this forum about the tongues for awhile.

Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, Heb. 6.1.

But, hey, that is only an opinion.

Jim
\o/

Upvote 0

Littleletty

May 26, 2004
USA
✟136.00
Faith
Christian
Jim B said:
I have a question (please don’t get defensive) … Why is there such an fixation with tongues on this forum? We have dealt at length with …

“A tongues question,”

“Speaking in tongues?.”
“To those that speak in tongues.”
“Praying in tongues,”
“Just some questions” (about tongues),”
“Must I speak in tongues to be Baptized in the Holy Spirit?,”
“Speaking in Tongues (All questions answered),
“Question about tongues,”
“Benefits of praying in tongues,”
“Mystery of tongues " - How Did YOU Start?,”
“Initial evidence – Tongues or the Word?”
Etc.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT opposed to speaking in tongues – I am a tongue-talker myself, but I occasionally have to face the criticism that tongues is all Charismatics talk about. It’s not, of course, but I do think we talk about it too much and, if this forum is any indication, there is some justification for the criticism.

What do you think?

Jim
\o/

Jim,

we love this gift and are eager to know more. I dont think there is anything wrong with that. We want to develop that gift deeper. Your post made it seem as if it was a sin.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jim B said:
Hey dude...
I beg to differ. This thread is not about tongues, it’s about STOPPING ALL THESE THREADS ABOUT TONGUES – giving us a break from all this repetitive talk about tongues for awhile (not forever).

People are curious? Would God they were more curious about grace.
Maybe they know about grace and do not have any questions. :confused: Maybe...

D., don't you think tongues should no longer be the controversy we imagine it to be. It has been more than a century since the Pentecostal revival began in Topeka KN and today more Protestants (and maybe Catholics) speak in tongues than don’t – Pentecostal/Charismatic Christians outnumber all the rest. Personally, I think we are saturated with knowledge about tongues - those who don’t know about it are either not interested or not paying attention.
I wonder who it is that is raising all these questions. For instance. None of the current threads about tongues have anything to do with trying to encourage others to do it. They are all questions about the practice.

My concern is the inordinate attention this forum pays to the subject – at the expense of other important and vital topics. I say, tongues is getting more press than it deserves here on CF! While the Apostle did say that we should not forbid to speak in tongues (1 Cor. 14.39) and that he spoke in tongues quite a lot himself (more than you all, 14.18), he also made a point of saying, “I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I WOULD RATHER have you prophesy. He who prophesies is GREATER than one who speaks in tongues” (14.5). Paul himself did not give the undue attention to the subject that we have been giving it.
I agree Bro. We can and should all prophesy. In the case of most people, I have found that they speak in tongues before they prophesy. If they cannot speak in tongues, then chances are they are not going to prophesy. Sort of like you have to walk before you can run.

Don’t misunderstand, I am not diminishing the value of tongues (anymore than the Apostle was), I am just saying that if a person has another question on the subject of tongues tell them to start paying attention or direct them to a book (and there are hundreds on the subject!) IMO, enough has been said on this forum about the tongues for awhile.
Perhaps you are correct about there being a ton of threads and books on the subject. Yet still people are curious. They want to know the how and why of this practice. I know I did before I learned how. If someone has something that I do not, and that thing is available to me.... I want to find out what it is and how I can get it too!

Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, Heb. 6.1.
I agree we all need to mature. But if you read earlier in the book in chapter 5, you will see where Paul first told them that they had to have someone teach them the milk teachings again. Some of the people asking the questions are hungry for milk. Some who think they want meat are like the Hebrews Paul was talking to, they need to go back and get the milk first. We have to have milk before we get to the meat. It is actually dangerous for one to try and take meat before they can digest the milk.

But I suppose that because speaking in tongues is a defining element of the Charismatic movement, we are going to see more and more of these pop up.
Several have suggested a faq on the subject.

Dids

Upvote 0

A_Christian

Jun 3, 2004
✟130.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Look what Chuck Pierce wrote - Tongues in a new light

UNDERSTANDING PENTECOST
The Pentecost Feast was known as the Feast of Weeks (Ex 23:16; 34:22; Lev 23:15-21; Num 28:26-31; Deut 16:9-12; and 2 Chron 8:13). This feast was observed in late May or early June, 50 days after the offering of the barley sheaf at the Feast of Unleavened Bread during Passover. Passover is a time to remember our Deliverance. Pentecost is a time to thank God for our blessings, abundance, and rejoice over harvest. Characteristics of this time include: Joy, Happiness, and Celebration. During this Feast, you enter into a time of offering concerning the Firstfruit Dedication (Lev. 23:9-14; 2 Sam. 21:9-10; Ruth 2:23). This is the Feast to thank God for His abundance which represented blessing.

In the New Testament there are three references to Pentecost. I Corinthians 16:8 was already mentioned earlier. The most common reference is Acts 2:1. On this day, after the resurrection and ascension of Christ, the disciples were gathered in a house in Jerusalem and were visited with signs from heaven. The Holy Spirit descended upon them and new life, power, and blessing were evident. The 120 turned to 3,000 in one day. Ask for your 120 to turn to 3,000! The early Christian believers, who were gathered in Jerusalem for observance of this feast, experienced the outpouring of God's Holy Spirit in a miraculous way. Peter explained that this was a fulfillment of the prophecy of Joel. The tongues symbolized the antithesis to Babel's confusion of tongues and represented the gathering of peoples under one mind and will to advance the Kingdom of God. Jerusalem, the mount of the Lord, is the center of God's spiritual kingdom of peace and righteousness. Babel, the center of Satan's kingdom and of human rebellion, ignores God as the true bond of union. The city of Babel represented confusion. The Spirit of God given on Pentecost believers represented that God had come and His people would be "keeping the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace" (Eph 4:1-16).

The third New Testament reference to Pentecost is Acts 20:16.
This feast was also known as the Feast of Harvest (Ex 23:16; 34:22; Num 28:26-31; Deut 16:9-14; Lev 23:15-22). The first sheaf offered at Passover and the two leavened loaves at Pentecost marked the beginning and ending of the grain harvest, and sanctified the whole harvest season. The lesson to Israel was that the Lord had given them the best for the year ahead (Ps 147:14). The purpose of this feast was to commemorate the completion of the grain harvest. Its distinguishing feature was the offering of "two leavened loaves" made from the new corn of the completed harvest, which, with "two lambs," were waved before the Lord as a thank offering. Pentecost also was the time of the giving of the law on Sinai (Ex 12:2, 19). At Pentecost the Lord wrote the law on our hearts and initiated the Church Age. This became the first Feast that Christians participated and celebrated. This should be a time of celebration each year. I believe the understanding of this Feast is very important. The spiritual aspect of this is necessary if we are to multiply.

Reactions: PatrickM
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.