• Anointed, On-Fire, & Prophetic Christian •
Aug 23, 2004
West Virginia
✟2,328.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Sorry... editing due to a mind blank about scripture... Thanks for bringing it up brightlights... it was Peter who gave that speech on the tongues being a sign of the Holy Spirit and not drunkedness...

I'll look through the scriptures some more to try to find evidence... Paul was a person who was murdering the brethren in those days who finally came to seek the face of God... I think Paul spoke in tongues when he finally started in ministry... I'm not sure... Sorry about the earlier post... I kinda drew a blank on those scriptures for a minute.

Upvote 0

brightlights

A sinner
Jul 31, 2004
USA
✟28,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christian Dude said:
It was a while after Paul was converted until the Holy Spirit manifested Himself on the day of Pentecost when they were all in the Upper Room.
That's not how my Bible reads. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Paul was not present there on Pentacost. In the book of Acts, Saul's conversion is documented much later than Pentacost.

Upvote 0

Christian Dude

• Anointed, On-Fire, & Prophetic Christian •
Aug 23, 2004
West Virginia
✟2,328.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
You're right brightlights... I guess I must've drew a blank on those scriptures at the time of posting but I changed it... I was also in a hurry like I am now because it's bedtime for me.... *parents*.... Thanks for correcting me bro! :)

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Some spirit-filled Christians believe that speaking in tongues at conversion is the only indication of true salvation.

Hmmm I dun think any one of us here believes that, maybe one or two.

Most charismatics I know believe that the Baptism in the Spirit with tongues as the evidence is SUBSEQUENT to salvation. ie you can be saved without tongues.

Those who believe otherwise will prob argue that Paul wasnt really saved yet in his road to Damascus experience.

:)

Upvote 0

Trish1947

Free to Believe
Nov 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟24,917.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Wait...I'm confused here..who said that speaking in tongues was evidence of receiving salvation? This is the first that I have heard about this.

"Who-so-ever shall call on the name of the Lord, shall be saved"..is this done in English, or tongues.?

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved

The only audible part is confessing the Lord Jesus.. and it certainly isn't in tongues usually.

Upvote 0

xsynerinc

the Great Creator became my Savior
Jul 29, 2004
Indiana
✟334.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
brightlights said:
Some spirit-filled Christians believe that speaking in tongues at conversion is the only indication of true salvation. I believe that we all know this. My question for these individuals:

Why didn't Paul speak in tongues at his conversion?

good point.

its sad that something that is supposed to be a gift given freely could by some become a legalistic doctrine.

Upvote 0

basementmosh

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
✟7,789.00
Faith
Christian
brightlights said:
Some spirit-filled Christians believe that speaking in tongues at conversion is the only indication of true salvation. I believe that we all know this. My question for these individuals:

Wow. That frankly, makes me angry.

Show me one verse that proves that, and I can show you oh probably a dozen that disprove it.

And Paul didn't speak in tongues at his conversion simply because conversion has nothing to do with speaking in tongues. :)

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
brightlights said:

Acts 9:17 So Ananias departed and entered the house, placed34 his hands on Saul35 and said, "Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you came here,36 has sent me so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit."

Ananias called Saul his 'brother' before he received the Holy Spirit here so Saul must have been a believer already?

Hope this helps

Lismore:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodAtWorkToday

Nov 29, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟506.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Brightlights, I got it that the OP was not your belief.

Riverpaster - yep, it is pretty clear that the damascus road was a salvation experience for Paul. His Holy Spirit baptism (infilling) came when Annanias layed hand on him, and prayed for him to be filled. The initial evidence recorded was the he IMMEDIATELY began boldly preaching Jesus.

Obviously, from Paul's writings we know that tongues were defintely added to his manifestation, but we are not told when that happened. My suspicion is that it was likely around the time when in Acts there was a shift from it being Barnabas & Paul, to it being Paul & Barnabas. But that is just guessing.

Upvote 0

bobznew

Apr 19, 2004
South Mississippi
✟16,462.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
riverpastor said:
Also, Paul called Jesus "Lord" in his experience on the road to Damascus.
And, I say with no small degree of humor, there is no doubt that Saul, as he encountered the Lord on the road to Damascus, believed in his heart that God had raised Jesus from the dead!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

muffler dragon

Ineffable
Apr 7, 2004
✟24,396.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
brightlights said:

I didn't realize that speaking in tongues at conversion was the only indication of true salvation. :doh:

I never even realized that this is a teaching that some people support.

Don't I feel sheepish? Whew-eee.

Upvote 0

brightlights

A sinner
Jul 31, 2004
USA
✟28,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
muffler dragon said:
I didn't realize that speaking in tongues at conversion was the only indication of true salvation. :doh:

I never even realized that this is a teaching that some people support.

Don't I feel sheepish? Whew-eee.
I've been talking to a guy who supports this. Here are some verse that he uses to back it up:

Acts 2v4, 33, 39; 10v44-46, John 3v8.

Acts 19v2-6

Upvote 0

muffler dragon

Ineffable
Apr 7, 2004
✟24,396.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
brightlights said:
I've been talking to a guy who supports this. Here are some verse that he uses to back it up:

Acts 2v4, 33, 39; 10v44-46, John 3v8.

Acts 19v2-6
If I may, I think I would like to post all the verses and then discuss.

John 3
8"The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit."

Born Again in the Judaic Perspective actually represents someone who has a repentant heart from disobeying G-d. The repentant sinner then redirects his life toward G-d's will and he is "born again".

Acts 2
4And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance.

If we look at chapter one, we see who is present and what they are doing:

Acts 1 said:
13When they had entered the city, they went up to the upper room where they were staying; that is, Peter and John and James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon the Zealot, and Judas the son of James.

14These all with one mind were continually devoting themselves to prayer, along with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers.

These people were actually Torah-observant Jews who believed in Y'shua as the Messiah (HaMoshiach) prior to the time of Pentecost.

33"Therefore having been exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He has poured forth this which you both see and hear.

39"For the promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call to Himself.

Acts 10
44While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the message.
45All the circumcised believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. 46For they were hearing them speaking with tongues and exalting God. Then Peter answered,

Acts 19
2He said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said to him, "No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit."
3And he said, "Into what then were you baptized?" And they said, "Into John's baptism."
4Paul said, "John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus."
5When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying.

I don't see in any of the Scripture that this person uses that speaking in tongues was a sign of salvation.

I am an advocate of Isaiah 45:22 when it comes to salvation, and it's actually very simple:

22"Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth;
For I am God, and there is no other.

"Turn to ME" is equivalent to "Repent". I don't see anything in there about tongues.

Oh well, to each their own.

Best wishes in your discussions with your friend.

Upvote 0