Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is an article I wrote on the subject:

Tongues as practiced in most Pentecostal/Charismatic Groups;

Most Pentecostals and Charismatic believe in a second (apart from salvation) empowering experience from God referred to as the Baptism in the Holy Spirit. You can read about this in Acts 1-2.

Some groups believe that there is no second experience. They believe that one receives this empowering at the time of salvation. It is only because of bad teaching or lack of realization that they don’t know it. This group believes that those who claim this as a second experience are mis-interpreting their own experience and the scriptures in Acts them would seem to indicate this is a second experience. (See Acts 8, Acts 19)

Some groups believe that tongues is the evidence of salvation and that you are not born again unless you do speak in tongues.

The ability to speak in tongues is associated with this experience (or realization).

Some groups believe that every believer who receives this empowering (i.e. Baptism in the Holy Spirit) receives the ability to pray in tongues.

Some groups believe that one may receive this gift as part of the experience.

In my opinion the scripture seem to indicate that in the early church tongues was the normal result when one was filled with the Holy Spirit. But, some would disagree with me on that point.

My wife and I personally had this as a second experience (apart from salvation) with God in 1982 and have since that time had the ability to pray in tongues. (Pentecostals and Charismatics often times refer to this as praying in the Spirit) Our personal experience is that we can pray in tongues any time we desire. But some believers only experience this during worship or deep times with God when his spirit moves upon them.

Millions of Christians around the world have experienced this and practice this as part of their prayer life and worship to God.

The manifestation of tongues will usually be seen in one of three ways.

1. –one- Praying in the spirit. Paul taught that the point of this was to build ourselves up spiritually. When a person prays in the spirit, it is his spirit communing with God. This gives an individual an opportunity to “pray when you don’t know how to pray” We are praying to God the mysteries of the spirit. It gives us the ability to step outside of our own prejudices and imperfections and pray in accordance with the will of God. Praying in tongues generally is not regarded as a public gift as the exchange is between the believer’s spirit and God. Someone hearing someone praying in tongues generally will not themselves profit from it and in the case of unbelievers or those unfamiliar with this gift it can cause confusion.

2. –two- Singing in the spirit. This is generally the same manifestation as praying but it is done musically. Often times in Charismatic or Pentecostal worship services the believers gathered will enter into a time of personal worship in which they may publicly sing in the spirit. This is not considered “out of order” in those fellowships and no interpretation is expected.

3. –three- Prophetic Tongues The Holy Spirit may prompt a believer to publicly speak out a prophetic message in tongues. After which an interpretation will come forth. Often times one will bring forth the tongues and another will bring forth the interpretation.

However one looks at this, tongues is not the point of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit. Jesus in Acts 1 told his disciples to wait until they received this power after which they would advance His kingdom. The purpose of the power is to enable us to fulfill the commission Jesus gave us to spread the gospel and do the works of the kingdom.

John O.

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tongues are not for today. Tongues were a sign to the Jews because the Jews sought after a sign. We seek after wisdom and we find that wisdom in God's word. We don't need signs to believe in God.

1 Corinthians 1:22 "For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:" KJB

1 Corinthians 14:22 "Wherefore tongues are for a sign.." KJB

God bless

That would make sense if the two passages in context weren't talking about totally different things or if he weren't writing to gentile believers telling them to speak in tongues (14:5), or even if Paul considered the church to be 'greeks', which he didn't (Rom 10:12).

Upvote 0
P

pistis

Tongues are not for today. Tongues were a sign to the Jews because the Jews sought after a sign. We seek after wisdom and we find that wisdom in God's word. We don't need signs to believe in God.

1 Corinthians 1:22 "For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:" KJB

God bless

Wow.:o

Upvote 0

BillynJennifer

Veteran
Sep 16, 2005
KY
✟9,613.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

God bless

The next time that I am communing with God through the Spirit, maybe He'll confirm this great revelation of yours...

Upvote 0
C

Cassidy

God bless

Yeh initially...but if you read on you will find that tongues was also used for edification of the church (with interpretation) in the church setting...so had nothing to do with it being a 'sign'. Also if you read the scripture that talks about tongues being a sign in Cor. you will see that it says that it is a sign for the 'unbeliever' not just jew..so... You probably need to open your research up a bit with researching this...instead of siting scripture you've been taught.

Upvote 0

the.Sheepdog

You must be born again!
Oct 26, 2008
Sanford, FL
✟31,981.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
before last week I would just stay mute about this subject as I had never had any such thing happen to me. I always told pastors that I was open but would not fake it.

Last week I was home in prayer in my office and it hit me like a bulldozer. I was actually praying for His filling. Little did I know what I was asking for. Woot! as the kids say!

laughing giggling crying great loads of love for all mankind. That isnt me those who know me would say. I started very quietly to pray in some language I didnt know. I looked around for who was doing it as I didnt think it was me. I had no idea what was being said. But I could feel it. It has only happened once and I dont know how to do it again but I am 1000% sure that was of God. Believe it or not. I didnt used to either.

Reactions: msbojingles
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
C

Cassidy

before last week I would just stay mute about this subject as I had never had any such thing happen to me. I always told pastors that I was open but would not fake it.

Last week I was home in prayer in my office and it hit me like a bulldozer. I was actually praying for His filling. Little did I know what I was asking for. Woot! as the kids say!

laughing giggling crying great loads of love for all mankind. That isnt me those who know me would say. I started very quietly to pray in some language I didnt know. I looked around for who was doing it as I didnt think it was me. I had no idea what was being said. But I could feel it. It has only happened once and I dont know how to do it again but I am 1000% sure that was of God. Believe it or not. I didnt used to either.

That's awesome mate!!! :thumbsup: I wish I had had that experience...mine was under duress.

Upvote 0

Deba

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want (period)
Jul 8, 2007
An American living in Laos
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
God bless you sheepdog. Wonderful experience huh? Bible reading more illumiating now?

As to the op, I have heard the person who delivered the tongue message give the interpretation several times. Once was a visitor to the church, she gave the message and without pause gave the interpretation. It sort of clanged.

Other times someone has given the tongue message and waited for an interpretation, but when no one else spoke up, gave the interpretation. Those persons in the past had been randomly used in givig messages, interpretations and prophesying, so nothing seemed out of order.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
What is the proper order? Can a person speak in a tongue, and afterward interpret it themselves, and where are the Bible verses on this?

1 Corinthians 14 (New King James Version)

1 Corinthians 14

Prophecy and Tongues

1 Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. 3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. 4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for[a] he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.Tongues Must Be Interpreted

6 But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you unless I speak to you either by revelation, by knowledge, by prophesying, or by teaching? 7 Even things without life, whether flute or harp, when they make a sound, unless they make a distinction in the sounds, how will it be known what is piped or played? 8 For if the trumpet makes an uncertain sound, who will prepare for battle? 9 So likewise you, unless you utter by the tongue words easy to understand, how will it be known what is spoken? For you will be speaking into the air. 10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of languages in the world, and none of them is11 Therefore, if I do not know the meaning of the language, I shall be a foreigner to him who speaks, and he who speaks will be a foreigner to me. 12 Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel.
13 Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. 1415 What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding. 16 Otherwise, if you bless with the spirit, how will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say “Amen” at your giving of thanks, since he does not understand what you say? 17 For you indeed give thanks well, but the other is not edified.
18 I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all; 19 yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue. without significance. For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.
Tongues a Sign to Unbelievers

20 Brethren, do not be children in understanding; however, in malice be babes, but in understanding be mature.
21 In the law it is written:

“ With men of other tongues and other lips
I will speak to this people;
And yet, for all that, they will not hear Me,”[b]
says the Lord.
22 Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe. 23 Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those who are uninformed or unbelievers, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced by all, he is convicted by all. 25 And thus[c] the secrets of his heart are revealed; and so, falling down on his face, he will worship God and report that God is truly among you.

Order in Church Meetings

26 How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. 28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God. 29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge. 30 But if anything is revealed to another who sits by, let the first keep silent. 31 For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged. 32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33 For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.
34 Let your[d] women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. 35
36 Or did the word of God come originally from you? Or was it you only that it reached? 37 If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord. 38 But if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant. [e]
39 Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues. 40 Let all things be done decently and in order. And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church.

Verse 13. Yes, the one who gives the tongue message may interpret it. Both are by the Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

God bless

:scratch: Is there a reason you left out the other 2/3rds of the sentence? The full sentence is: 22 Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe.

Generally, when quoting something it's best to quote the whole thing. That way there is no misunderstanding as to what is really being said. I'll use the example of using only the first two words of your first sentence :
Tongues are.

Brings out quite a different meaning doesn't it? :doh: If you're going to try and twist scripture into saying what you want it to at least find a verse where you can quote the whole sentence that actually says what you say it says.

Upvote 0
L

LeadWorship

:scratch: Is there a reason you left out the other 2/3rds of the sentence?

lol funny huh? We all know why, though. I don't have a problem with someone interpretting the message given if they were the ones to give it, however if it were a thing that occured frequently I would have caution, and even speak to the pastor about it.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
lol funny huh? We all know why, though. I don't have a problem with someone interpretting the message given if they were the ones to give it, however if it were a thing that occured frequently I would have caution, and even speak to the pastor about it.

1 Cor 14:13 Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.

I can see your concern if the person giving the tongue and interpreting is trying to control things and using the gifts to tell people how to live their lives (I've encountered many who were like that), however, according to scripture, it is expected that the one who gives a tongue should also in the event there is no other person who can or will,
be able to interpret it themselves.

Upvote 0
L

LeadWorship

I know that passage well, but I guess I was just giving that warning of the person who every Sunday, or every other Sunday gives a word then immediately interprets it that those leaders should diligently be praying for confirmation of that interpretation. I've seen it work, and I've seen it go bad.

Thank you though, for scripturally coming back. It's a breath of fresh air.

Upvote 0

jeolmstead

-That’s me in the corner, losing my religion
Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My wife (Cat) almost always has the interpretation. However, she is not always prompted to give it.

In fact the only time I can remember that she didn’t have it was the one time 25 years ago when I gave a message in tongues.

The guy who brought forth the interpretation was one of our elders who really didn’t care for me that much.

He was in fact the last guy in the world I thought would have done so.

(There is a lesson in there somewhere)

John O.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.