Somewhere in God's Creation.
✟17,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
From the EO side of the schism, The pope would lose his "universal jurisdiction," he would return to being first among equals, perhaps as a prodigal . In terms of liturgy, I think it may be possible for Catholics to maintain an "easternized mass" in the same way eastern Catholics maintained a westernized (ie wording) liturgy. Catholics would have to accept the orthodox saints, and the catholic saints may become canonized in the east (one thing the EO would have to do). The whole "eastern and roman" thing would be replaced with the original "...Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox..."

To do these things, orthodox and Catholics alike would have to begin reaching out to each other, but full union is really unlikely, because both claim to be the fullness of the faith given through the apostles from Christ.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've wondered about the disunity there and what reunification would entail for both groups for quite a while myself. This entire page is worth reading but the gist of it is...

Upvote 0

Hashe

Feb 13, 2014
✟15,191.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I suspect the real issue is one of authority and not doctrine.
For example, I'm sure Pope Benedict would have been open to unification, if the others were to accept the authority of Rome over them. His ecclesioloy is based on a church only being valid church if it is in communion with Rome.

However with Pope Francis one senses this isn't really an issue. Still there are others within the heirarchy that wouldn't be happy

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private

People perceive the RCC and EOC as very doctrinally similar, but there are numerous doctrinal differences, even on really important things like soteriology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
May 16, 2014
Visit site
✟15,313.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
RCC & EOC - what exactly would it take to end the schism between the two churches?

I realize that is a loaded question & there are probably many factors involved - but maybe you could just give some basic points or thoughts?

The second coming

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Why shouldn't the Roman catholics be allowed to retain their western liturgy?
As far as I know the west and east had different liturgies even before the schism?
Even some monasteries have their own liturgies. I know that the cistercians have. Although I don't know how it differs.

Upvote 0

ChristianT

Newbie Orthodox
Nov 4, 2011
Somewhere in God's Creation.
✟17,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

EO'xy has a Western Rite, I've heard, so it could be widened to include their western liturgies, similar to how the Eastern Catholics retained their liturgies when they joined Rome.

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
EO'xy has a Western Rite, I've heard, so it could be widened to include their western liturgies, similar to how the Eastern Catholics retained their liturgies when they joined Rome.

Yes this is what I've meant. It sounded to like the the poster I quoted meant that the Romans would have to adopt the byzantine/eastern liturgy.

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The real question for me is what did the undivided catholic apostolic orthodox church believe.
I would say that this should be the starting point when it comes to reunifaction concerning the theological differences.
Maybe some of those differences already existed before the schism as well?
What would the Pope be then? The patriarch of Rome and all roman catholics? Like the patriarch of Moscow is the patriarch for all Russian orthodox Christians?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
A couple that gets divorced had serious, underlying problems before they finally separated.

It's important to keep in mind that Orthodox define "Ecumenical Council" differently than Roman Catholics do. For us, authoritative councils after the seventh or eighth council are often called "Pan-Orthodox" instead of Ecumenical. "Ecumenical" initially had ties to the Roman Empire, and since there is no Empire, there is no Ecumene in the same sense.

So, it's often said that "Orthodox have not had a council since the Schism". In fact, we have had several. Here are excerpts from the Council of Blachernae 1285:

Mind the Aristotelian polemical style, though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I guess that analogy works, but we're talking about Churches in the East and the West, and didn't they always have differences?
Yes, but those differences were not always doctrinal. They became so.

Upvote 0