Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Divorced
You may consider:
1 Corinthians 10:1-4 ESV
(1) For I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea,
(2) and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea,
(3) and all ate the same spiritual food,
(4) and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ.

Upvote 0

SinoBen

May 23, 2018
Brisbane
✟21,698.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does it mean, exactly, to "build a house"? (Matthew 7:27)

This parable I think is about how and upon what you build your life's foundation. There are two choices presented and the best one is the Rock i.e. on Jesus

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I think Yeshua is the "Living" word, while the scripture is the "written" word. The written word tells us how to live, while the living word showed us what that looked like as he lived out and gave his life for us.

To "build my house" on the Rock, to me, would be to build upon the foundation of God's written word; what He said to do in particular situations regarding loving and honoring Him, and loving our neighbors in a manner that we would not lie, steal, bear false witness, etc. against them.

My thinking is that I see "my house" as me. What am I basing my thoughts and my actions on? For me, it's the written word (scripture), and the way Yeshua demonstrated it out for us. How am I making myself a stronger house and building on the Rock of the Word (Living and Written), so that I do not fall apart when the storms come?

That's my thinking anyway.

Reactions: Long Beard
Upvote 0

Long Beard

Judeo-Christian
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2018
Middle Tennessee
✟44,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes, Yeshua is the living Word... he is the Torah with flesh on it.

As John tells us,
John 1:1 ESV
(1) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

... as this passage unfolds John leaves no doubt of whom he is speaking,

John 1:14 ESV
(14) And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

As you have said 'written Word'... and what 'written Word' would that be? What written Word existed at the time of Jesus/Yeshua's birth? See... and we know that Jesus never changes, right?

Hebrews 13:8 ESV
(8) Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

The Word from cover to cover... that is Genesis through Revelation is the revealing of Jesus Christ... the entire book is of him.

Psalms 40:7 ESV
(7) Then I said, “Behold, I have come; in the scroll of the book it is written of me:

Quoted again in Hebrews confirming the context of Jesus:

Hebrews 10:7 ESV
(7) Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come to do your will, O God, as it is written of me in the scroll of the book.’”

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Jesus made it clear what he meant by that, you can't just believe what he said, you have to do what he says. Faith guides the conscience and the goals of a persons life.

Upvote 0