✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
SophiaRenensis said:
Obedience is the conventional master narrative of the religion & the Catholic religion. It is myth. Master narratives are the central organizing principles of dominant religions.

By your leave.

Yahhh, right. Ok. Thanks for playing. Come again. Or not.

Upvote 0

Protinus

...once more unto the breach dear friends
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
SophiaRenensis said:
Obedience is the conventional master narrative of the religion & the Catholic religion. It is myth. Master narratives are the central organizing principles of dominant religions.

By your leave.

can't figure out if this is just a rant or superfluous rhetoric. If it is well intended, than so be it...if it is not, than whatever.

However, by not respecting the OP with such an arcane and obviously provocative (clearly provoking for provocations sake), then it is to miss the mystery and central meaning of obedience as it pertains to Catholic faith. So...by your "leave" does no service here and appears like self flagellation.

Of course, trying to say something substantive and actually saying something meaningful is a matter of opinion...but I know it when I hear it.:o

Upvote 0

krstlros

Currently Under Construction
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2004
Within the arms of God
✟52,810.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
SophiaRenensis said:

By your leave.
Okay. Thank you for sharing. :scratch:

Upvote 0

krstlros

Currently Under Construction
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2004
Within the arms of God
✟52,810.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So, I found my notes and this is what I wrote down:

Obediece:
To hear, to listen to God's call. to let go of Self. To trust God's way than "my"way.
Motivated by love.
Letting go of Self into God

Interesting.

For me, this is a daily trial. Letting go and doing God's way rather than my own. Each day we wake up, we must affirm our willingness to do God's will. Letting everything go and give it up to God.

Trusting God.

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2005
Whitecliff
✟119.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
jplowe said:
can't figure out if this is just a rant or superfluous rhetoric. If it is well intended, than so be it...if it is not, than whatever.

However, by not respecting the OP with such an arcane and obviously provocative (clearly provoking for provocations sake), then it is to miss the mystery and central meaning of obedience as it pertains to Catholic faith. So...by your "leave" does no service here and appears like self flagellation.

Of course, trying to say something substantive and actually saying something meaningful is a matter of opinion...but I know it when I hear it.:o

Sir,
rant, superfluous, rhetoric, not respecting, arcane, no service here, self flagellation, I know it when I hear it. I am wounded by your words. What do we have to do to free our own story from this dominant narrative of religion? Obedience is used as an instrument of power.

Upvote 0

Protinus

Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
SophiaRenensis said:
Sir,
rant, superfluous, rhetoric, not respecting, arcane, no service here, self flagellation, I know it when I hear it. I am wounded by your words. What do we have to do to free our own story from this dominant narrative of religion? Obedience is used as an instrument of power.

I assure you that "our story" thrives without casting off elements that are important to those here and others, such as "obedience". It is a very, very spiritual term and component in Catholic faith. So...rather than fire a catapult, seek entry into the castle and promote change from within.

We are bonded by ancestry I think, though my family came over when the clans were on the wane.

Upvote 0

NewMan99

New CF: More Political, Less Charity, No Unity
Mar 20, 2005
Earth
✟18,235.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
SophiaRenensis said:
Sir,

Sure it is used as an instrument of power...but that is only bad when one is not being the sort of authority figure God calls all leaders to be. So what? Does that make obedience, of and by itself, a bad thing?

Should anarchy reign? Would society be better with no authority and no obedience to authority? Should I let my children run wild like weeds?

I guess I will defer to Hebrews 13:17 when it comes to the topic of obedience and Church leadership:

"Obey your leaders and submit to them; for they are keeping watch over your souls, as men who will have to give account. Let them do this joyfully, and not sadly, for that would be of no advantage to you."

God's Peace,

NewMan

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2005
Whitecliff
✟119.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
jplowe said:
I assure you that "our story" thrives without casting off elements that are important to those here and others, such as "obedience". It is a very, very spiritual term and component in Catholic faith. So...rather than fire a catapult, seek entry into the castle and promote change from within.

We are bonded by ancestry I think, though my family came over when the clans were on the wane.

Obedience is an indisposition to resist authority and catapults make for uncomfortable castle living. The religious are those who make you uncomfortable.

Upvote 0

Protinus

Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
SophiaRenensis said:
Obedience is an indisposition to resist authority and catapults make for uncomfortable castle living. The religious are those who make you uncomfortable.

Actually I am inspired by those who are religious...of all faiths. And I make a distinction between theologic obedience and obedience to the state.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.