✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sorry EFM, but you just got pwned

Taking the challenge as stated, yes. I shouldn't have said 'give'. Obviously, anyone who knows how to cut-and-paste can do that.

Conveying actual understanding is the larger challenge, which I hope was made clear by the rest of the post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

His Supreme Holy Correctfulness
Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The definition 100 years ago or the definition that they use today?

In a broad sense, they're the same. More modern, specified definitions have expanded to include reference to mechanisms, as our understanding of them increases.

I'm much more interested in how you utilize the definition in your creationist 'objections' to the theory. That tells me everything I need to know about how much you actually understand.

Upvote 0

Blayz

Aug 1, 2007
Singapore
✟4,827.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, Blayz ... I think that's the second time you corrected me on that. I keep saying "a change in alleles" for some reason.

"change in alleles" is qualitative: The blue allele got changed for the red allele
"change in allele frequency" is quantitative: the system went from 50% blue and 50% red to 49% blue and 51% red

Perhaps a handy mnemonic? Change In Allele Is Qualitative Whereas Change In Allele Frequency Is Quantitative (CIAIQWCIAFIQ) Yes, that should help. :)

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Thanks, Blayz ... I think that's the second time you corrected me on that. I keep saying "a change in alleles" for some reason.
There is a possibility that the keep saying that because you still haven't understood the principle.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know what I said. Or rather, I know what I meant. I could have been clearer, though.
I know ... do you realize how insulting that was to biologists?

(Although I admit, I'm not one, so I don't really know if it was or not.)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"change in alleles" is qualitative: The blue allele got changed for the red allele
"change in allele frequency" is quantitative: the system went from 50% blue and 50% red to 49% blue and 51% red
Well-stated!
Perhaps a handy mnemonic? Change In Allele Is Qualitative Whereas Change In Allele Frequency Is Quantitative (CIAIQWCIAFIQ) Yes, that should help. :)
Watch your Klingon please, this is a public forum! ;)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is a possibility that the keep saying that because you still haven't understood the principle.
Oh, I understand the principal alright. As many times as I had to go to his office, when I was in school! :(

Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

His Supreme Holy Correctfulness
Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I know ... do you realize how insulting that was to biologists?

(Although I admit, I'm not one, so I don't really know if it was or not.)

Asking from the outset for someone to demonstrate a rudimentary understanding of evolution is not an insult to anyone.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
I am still waiting to hear what is stopping creationists from funding scientific research that is aimed at overturning evolution. What is stopping you guys from doing the science? Why are they looking to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a Noah's Ark replica that will never float on water, but never on 5 million dollars to setup a modern lab and do real scientific research?

It would seem to me that the only people stopping creationists from challenging evolution is creationists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am still waiting to hear what is stopping creationists from funding scientific research that is aimed at overturning evolution.
Evolution will not be overturned this side of the Rapture. It will be alive and well during the Tribulation period.

Overturning evolution is a luxury reserved for Jesus, Himself, when He comes back.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Evolution will not be overturned this side of the Rapture. It will be alive and well during the Tribulation period.

Overturning evolution is a luxury reserved for Jesus, Himself, when He comes back.

And you wonder why creationists are not taken seriously by the scientific community?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟551,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I'll make sure I don't hold my breath waiting.

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,283.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

Are you a prophet?

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟551,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
ID scientists are being accused of trying to get their religion into the schools—but in fact the opponents of ID are doing exactly that—getting their religion into schools. The religion of atheism is being taught in schools, by way of naturalism and materialism. By teaching that everything we see around us came to be by way of mutation and selection, and shows no evidence of intelligence behind the process, that religion is promoted.

The opponents of ID are not all atheists. In fact, ToE is accepted pretty much universally around the world. Christians are the only ones who seem to have a problem with evolution, therefore, it is the Christians trying to get their beliefs taught in public schools. I have no problem with that, in a history class or world religion they are perfectly fine but, ID and creationism is not science for the same reason astrology and Greek mythology are not science. As to the religion of atheism, you clearly don't know what atheist disbelieve (for lack of a better term). There is no religion of atheism, it is quite the opposite of religion. It is the disbelief in deities of any kind.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
I think he was asking me about falsifying evolution, not the Rapture.

In my opinion, evolution will be the Antichrist's trump card in getting scientists to take the Mark of the Beast.

The Antichrist will explain evolution so eloquently as to make it easy enough that a child can understand it, and his magnum opus will be a demonstration of abiogenesis.

Another example of why creationists are not taken seriously by the scientific community.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
They need the Mark of the Beast in order to buy or sell. What does that have to do with evolution? I already ran into this with the new health care laws. They have very strict requirements to keep very accurate records of everything you buy and sell. If you do not have a record of what you payed for an item then you have to pay taxes on the full amount that you sell that item for. This is already in effect. If for example you hire someone to do more then $750 worth of work then you are required by law to file a form with the IRS to notify them that you paid that money to someone. So the IRS knows to tell them to pay the taxes on that money.

If this is the way it is NOW then can you imagine how it will be during the tribulation. Of course we will not be here then, so we do not have to worry about it. I had a pastor that believed that during the trib they will be chopping off hands and feet. There is a small amount of that today.

"PUPILS at Islamic schools across Britain are being taught how to chop off a criminal's hand " Islamization Watch: UK: Today's lesson at Islamic school: how to cut off criminal's hand

Of course it does not matter how much you warn people about what is coming. They still do not seem to want to listen.

And another example of what people consider "challenges to evolution". Anyone seeing a pattern?

Upvote 0