Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What do you mean it kept you in poverty for years?

I amended poverty to poor. I was never below the formal Federal poverty limit.

Keeping the Sabbath cost me my job. I found work but at much lower pay. Add to that the horrific inflation of that time period; especially fuel, two kids born during the probation period of my insurance...a perfect financial storm. Tithing was the straw that broke my back financially, which eventually cost me my marriage. However it has worked out very well for me since those days. :bow:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ericak101

May 6, 2019
fl
✟14,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Cor 8:12 Last year you were the first not only to give but also to have the desire to do so. 11 Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means. 12 For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what one does not have.

13 "Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed", but that there might be equality. 14
I believe in giving my full 10% tithe I can afford it whether I have little or much I just budget it like taxes so I never see it (thats me though). But if im faced with a decision in my life where I only have enough to get enough to eat pay check to paycheck on bills and delete fun out of the equation I will choose pay my tithe over pleasure and comfort. But I am not going to recommend someone who is not mismanaging their money and didnt pay their tithe yet which is like 50$ but all they have is 50$ left and they need to pay 30$ to rent and 20$ towards food. I am going to tell them to use wisdom and common sense and use that towards rent and food and use your talents time to make it up to God or pay it on your next paycheck if you can. God is an understanding God in my eyes. But to go without paying our tithe period because we want to hold on to the little we got I don't believe in that. !

• Informative
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟965,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tithing was the straw that broke my back financially, which eventually cost me my marriage.
We are still on the poverty line. We went bankrupt in 2004.
We started using a variation of (what we now know to be) the Envelope Bookkeeping System (including tithing), and now have a credit score of 800+.

Tithing did not make us richer, but God made/makes the remaining 90% go farther.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We are still on the poverty line. We went bankrupt in 2004.
We started using a variation of (what we now know to be) the Envelope Bookkeeping System (including tithing), and now have a credit score of 800+.

Tithing did not make us richer, but God made/makes the remaining 90% go farther.

I agree. When I started tithing I had more money in my pocket at the end of the month. However that changed when I got married and started a family. I was on thin ice financially for years. Things are great now though. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums