Tithing...do you give 10%?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcrow

Jan 11, 2005
✟812.00
Faith
Christian
i dont keep track..we give a nominal amount for church upkeep and even more for needy causes of our choice..and more again for things like the tsunami...
our covenanted giving is around 10%...
the 10% can include your time and resources which cost you money like your car, your home, your services..
i do accounts, and any other work free...i provide resources for the music and worship...i support financially on a spot basis any young christian who is seeking god fervently and has a ministry...plane fares to toronto...college fees etc.
i dont need a % to know i am on track...
elsewise its ice cold and legalistic.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My family gives 10% of our income. Its not obligatory for Catholics, however we choose to do it because we have been so blessed in our lives, and want to share our good fortune with others who are needy.
I highly recommend it. Contrary to the subtle "every man for himself" mantra of our culture, we are all in this together.

Upvote 0

reformedfan

Senior Veteran
Dec 18, 2003
http://lightintheblack.co.uk/forum/portal.php
Visit site
✟12,904.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We do it fun! We tithe 10% of the gross and the net- lemme 'splain.
Let's say hubby grosses $100 & brings home $70. We tithe 10 bucks. 7 goes to our church- the net- the other 3 (diff between gross & net) goes to whatever: crisis preggo cntr, radio station, jail min, etc.
Isn't that cool! It makes tithing more fun, we're doing it, and most of it goes to our church, with the teeny leftover that goes to stuff we want to support.
That idea isn't patented, if you wanna use it.

Upvote 0

YahwehLove

Dec 12, 2004
✟2,033.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Others
freeze said:
you do not have to say either way but I would like if you could please provide why you do tithe 10% or why you may not??? thanks
Ive never give ''10%".
That is old covenant.

I have given entire paychecks to buy bibles and stuff, but I stopped putting it in the plate years back.

When churches stop building $2,000,000 gymnasiums with Gods money that Ive helped provide, then Ill reconsider.

2 millions dollars.
it actually turns my stomach when I think of a little hungry kid that could have had a decent meal tonite with just a handful of change from that 2 million.

Tell you what, Im on disablity for now over some things, but Id take my enitre check and buy food and take it to the homeless shelter or a food pantry before Id give 10% of it to pay for the air conditioning somewhere.

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
I haven't any idea if the Bible says 10%. I give more. I upped my giving until my conscience said "that's good". More and I wouldn't feel cheerful; less and I would feel I was cheating God.

To those who attend a church and don't tithe - how do your churches stay alive? Most churches don't have $2M gyms. Most have miniscule budgets and underpay their pastors.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YahwehLove

Dec 12, 2004
✟2,033.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Others
newlamb said:
To those who attend a church and don't tithe - how do your churches stay alive? Most churches don't have $2M gyms. Most have miniscule budgets and underpay their pastors.
Those little churches are the ones I do help out when I attend one that is in need.

God made ME a steward of the money He hands me in my life.
I will not handle that money irresponsibly ever again.

Paul says.
Thus also the Lord commanded those who proclaim the gospel to live from the gospel.
(1Co 9:14 EMTV)
and also
1Ti 5:17 Let the elders having ruled well be counted worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in the word and doctrine.

These two things should be honored by those learning from the teachings of these men who give their time for the gospel.

In Corinthians a gift is mentioned to take back to the saints in Jerusalem.

These are the types of things I feel I could do without luxuries over.

But if I have to choose between feeding someone and paying a pastor....well, I have a bible and the Spirit of God.....and that kid may not have food.

Upvote 0

muffler dragon

Ineffable
Apr 7, 2004
✟24,396.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I don't follow the modern-day tithe doctrine. I feel that it is unsubstantiated in Scripture.

I am for almsgiving and offerings.

As an aside, I have had a debate invitation up for about 8 months or so. No one who is "pro-tithe" has decided to accept the challenge. For those so inclined, it's in the "Invitation" section of the Debate Forum.

My premise is that the "modern-day" tithe doctrine has no support from historical context. It is unsubstantiated within and without the Mosaic Law.

m.d.

Upvote 0

mrcrow

Jan 11, 2005
✟812.00
Faith
Christian
newlamb said:
I haven't any idea if the Bible says 10%. I give more. I upped my giving until my conscience said "that's good". More and I wouldn't feel cheerful; less and I would feel I was cheating God.
the old woman gave everything...the rich ruler got stuck with the 'wrong' answer
gen 14:20 melchizedek...king-priest of salem..
NKJV And blessed be God Most High, Who has delivered your enemies into your hand." And he gave him a tithe of all.
RSV and blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand!" And Abram gave him a tenth of everything.
seems to be tithed up.:) with the word tithe..04643
1) tithe, tenth part
a) tenth part
b) tithe, payment of a tenth part

as such...i dont consider a tenth a good meter for giving...but as you said...what seems right..
support your fellowships fabric needs, the outreach and charitable works
then you can turn to issues outwith which are in your heart.
you have more to give than money.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pcwilkins

Feb 2, 2004
✟8,680.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I think the idea of 10% comes from somewhere in the OT where one of the OT saints (Abraham?) promised to give 10% back to God.

I don't think its a 'set rule' for all Christians. What I am not sure about - though I can understand those who do it - is those who store up their money 'for a rainy day' when there are people starving.

Peter

Upvote 0

muffler dragon

Ineffable
Apr 7, 2004
✟24,396.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
pcwilkins said:
I think the idea of 10% comes from somewhere in the OT where one of the OT saints (Abraham?) promised to give 10% back to God.

I don't think its a 'set rule' for all Christians. What I am not sure about - though I can understand those who do it - is those who store up their money 'for a rainy day' when there are people starving.

Peter
Tithe (without the Mosaic covenant)

There are two instances provided within Scripture that document a giving of a tenth (tithe) to someone or G-d.

A) Abraham.

Genesis 14
14When Abram heard that (W)his relative had been taken captive, he led out his trained men, (X)born in his house, three hundred and eighteen, and went in pursuit as far as (Y)Dan.

15(Z)He divided his forces against them by night, he and his servants, and defeated them, and pursued them as far as Hobah, which is north of (AA)Damascus.

16He (AB)brought back all the goods, and also brought back (AC)his relative Lot with his possessions, and also the women, and the people.

17Then after his return from the defeat of Chedorlaomer and the kings who were with him, (AD)the king of Sodom went out to meet him at the valley of Shaveh (that is, (AE)the King's Valley).

18And (AF)Melchizedek king of Salem brought out (AG)bread and wine; now he was a (AH)priest of God Most High.

19He blessed him and said,
"Blessed be Abram of God Most High,
(AI)Possessor of heaven and earth;

20And blessed be God Most High,
Who has delivered your enemies into your hand."
(AJ)He gave him a tenth of all.

21The king of Sodom said to Abram, "Give the people to me and take the goods for yourself."

22Abram said to the king of Sodom, "I have sworn to the LORD (AK)God Most High, (AL)possessor of heaven and earth,

23that (AM)I will not take a thread or a sandal thong or anything that is yours, for fear you would say, 'I have made Abram rich.'

24"I will take nothing except what the young men have eaten, and the share of the men who went with me, (AN)Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their share."

Points of interest concerning this passage:

1) This is a one time occurrence for Abraham. It is not stated that this became a common occurrence.
2) The tithe came from the "goods" that were taken after the battle. These goods were not part of income.
3) These goods were produce or livestock. They were not currency.

B) Jacob.

Genesis 28
18So Jacob rose early in the morning, and took (AI)the stone that he had put under his head and set it up as a pillar and poured oil on its top.

19He called the name of that place [a](AJ)Bethel; however, previously the name of the city had been (AK)Luz.

20Then Jacob (AL)made a vow, saying, "(AM)If God will be with me and will keep me on this journey that I take, and will give me (AN)food to eat and garments to wear,

21and (AO)I return to my father's house in safety, (AP)then the LORD will be my God.

22"This stone, which I have set up as a pillar, (AQ)will be God's house, and (AR)of all that You give me I will surely give a tenth to You."

Points of interest regarding this passage:

1) It was a one-time occurrence.
2) This particular tithe was conditional. Those conditions were set forth by Ya'acov.
3) This tithe was once again only livestock and produce.

Tithe (within the Mosaic Covenant)

Purpose of the tithe:

Leviticus 27
30'Thus (J)all the tithe of the land, of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S; it is holy to the LORD.

32'For every tenth part of herd or flock, whatever (K)passes under the rod, the tenth one shall be holy to the LORD.

Deuteronomy 14
22"You (K)shall surely tithe all the produce from what you sow, which comes out of the field every year.

29"The Levite, (S)because he has no portion or inheritance among you, and (T)the alien, the orphan and the widow who are in your town, shall come and (U)eat and be satisfied, in order that (V)the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do.

The tithe is produce and livestock for the well-being of the Levite, the alien, the orphan and the widow.

There is much more that can be shown regarding the tithe; yet, I believe that what I have demonstrated thus far shows the severe lack of Biblical support for the "modern-day" tithe doctrine. There is no similarity between the two except that they happen to be a tenth of something. What that something happens to be even differs.

Regards,

m.d.

Upvote 0

serendipity79

Aug 5, 2003
New Hampshire
✟8,050.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Just because the tenth rule is in the old testament doesn't mean that it doesn't apply today. A lot of christians write off the old testament, The law of moses still applies to us today, If the new testament does not speak of it, then I beleive we are still supposed to give. I also do not think we should use our tithing as a tax write off. I know it is considered a charitable contribution, but giving to God should be just that, not an opportunity to claim it against your income tax.

Upvote 0

coreXian

Dec 16, 2004
Visit site
✟261.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
serendipity79 said:
I also do not think we should use our tithing as a tax write off. I know it is considered a charitable contribution, but giving to God should be just that, not an opportunity to claim it against your income tax.
Why not write it off? You get money back from the government out of your earned income. You can then reinvest it by giving the return the next year to God! That's like the parable of the talents. You are, in theory, taking 3 and bringing back 4 or 5.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.