Feb 9, 2011
Eastern United States
✟7,755.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
I really respect Tebow for standing up in his faith. I don't believe he is doing anything in mockery as he is just taking a knee to pray, reminding the world that it isn't himself and his goals that he lives for, but for God. Christians need someone to show their faith in the spotlight since it has becoming all to dim these days. You are correct about the bible speaking about being a Pharisee, but we have to remember that it also says to shine our light and set it upon a hill. If we all kept things to ourselves, it would be a sad world for a Christian. He also takes a steep chance doing that because most of the NFL celebrations from the players have resulted in a fine, even more so recently. You can almost be sure that if he is risking such a penalty, that he is doing it for the Lord, and not himself or show. ;) Most important, Christ knows his heart, and his intentions. If he does it for show or faith isn't for us to assume, but encourage and pray for him as our brother in Christ.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2009
✟17,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's funny how Brett Favre was put on a team that was always designed to prevent him from using his main obvious talent: an arm like a rifle.

I lived in (well, near) Indy when the Colts first came to town, and watched their horrific start up. Peyton had virtually no chance for years, during which it was absolutely amazing he ever completed a pass. Those years and all that pressure really "made him."

I don't think he maintained that same hungry fire for too many years, after he finally was surrounded by a whole team ...
I started living in Indiana in 1999, but it was hard to give up my Rams led by Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger. If the Rams had only protected either one of these QBs a little more who knows what could have happened. But I'm a Colts fan now; may the Luck be with them!!!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I really respect Tebow for standing up in his faith. I don't believe he is doing anything in mockery as he is just taking a knee to pray, reminding the world that it isn't himself and his goals that he lives for, but for God. Christians need someone to show their faith in the spotlight since it has becoming all to dim these days. You are correct about the bible speaking about being a Pharisee, but we have to remember that it also says to shine our light and set it upon a hill. If we all kept things to ourselves, it would be a sad world for a Christian. He also takes a steep chance doing that because most of the NFL celebrations from the players have resulted in a fine, even more so recently. You can almost be sure that if he is risking such a penalty, that he is doing it for the Lord, and not himself or show. ;) Most important, Christ knows his heart, and his intentions. If he does it for show or faith isn't for us to assume, but encourage and pray for him as our brother in Christ.

I agree. Tebow shows a wonderful spirit and strikes an admirable balance between showing off his religious beliefs and keeping them private. In the face of all manner of taunting and criticism, he keeps his composure and attests to his faith without being boorish about it. A great model for us all!

Upvote 0

Common Sense

Feb 23, 2012
✟15,769.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'n not a fan of Football but I feel good knowing my Grandchildren have Tebo as a role model Just look at all the bad things that we read about that other players have done. Look at the spitting tobacco the kids imitate and the scratching certain areas. Anyone who presents their beief in public will be ridiculed. He certainly isn't an embarrassemt to me, I love to see him kneel. If I thought he was doing it for show I would be bothered or if I thought he was Thanking God for a win or a toutchdown I would be bothered but I don't think that's the case. I believe he is giving god thanks for the talent and the ability he has. He also says God deserves the credit for any good thing he does in his life. Give it some thought, you might change your mind just a little. We as Christians should do more to witness to whoever we meet, we never know when we will plant a seed and Tebo just might be the one who waters it giving God all the glory.

Upvote 0

William II

Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job.
Mar 13, 2012
Washington, D.C.
✟16,019.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I feel like I need to play some madden with Tebow, run some options ....

I started a new franchise over Spring Break and traded for Tebow. It was pretty awesome.

We won the superbowl, lol. I play on all-pro.

He increased from a 77 to an 81 overall after our first season.

Upvote 0

Common Sense

Feb 23, 2012
✟15,769.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'n not a fan of Football but I feel good knowing my Grandchildren have Tebo as a role model Just look at all the bad things that we read about that other players have done. Look at the spitting tobacco the kids imitate and the scratching certain areas. Anyone who presents their beief in public will be ridiculed. He certainly isn't an embarrassemt to me, I love to see him kneel. If I thought he was doing it for show I would be bothered or if I thought he was Thanking God for a win or a toutchdown I would be bothered but I don't think that's the case. I believe he is giving god thanks for the talent and the ability he has. He also says God deserves the credit for any good thing he does in his life. Give it some thought, you might change your mind just a little. We as Christians should do more to witness to whoever we meet, we never know when we will plant a seed and Tebo just might be the one who waters it giving God all the glory.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ironically, if Tim Tebow were a Muslim he'd be getting death threats. Most likely from right wing extremist groups identifying themselves as Christian.

If Tebow were a Muslim, he'd be the toast of the town--of Hollywood, Washington, and MSNBC, NBC, ABC, CNN, and CBS. He'd be billed as the perfect example of a red-blooded American

There would not be the snickering comments about him being too public about his faith, criticisms that he's showing off, that he's violating some church-state separation, or that he should keep it all to himself. In addition, other NFL players would not be able to mock his gestures, at least not without having their careers ended.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
As a christian and a football (Cowboys) fan, I'm getting really tired of all the mockery that this well meaning athelete is bringing to the faith and to the game.
Christians should be humble and not parade their faith around in public like the pharisees as jesus had instructed.
Tebow, stop it man your an embarrassment to us all.
Rant over.:clap:

he EMBARRASSES you?:o

Upvote 0

Common Sense

Feb 23, 2012
✟15,769.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Brinny, your not ashamed of your God or the perfect gift He gave you.You are happy to share your experience with anyone who might ask or anyone who comes to you with a serious problem, a family member died or is in prison. You have the answer for how they can overcome anything that might befall them or a loved one. Tebow is like you, he feels so blessed, he is overcome with love for his Lord and all the blessings given him that he falls to his knees with no thought of the crowd around him or with no intent to impress them. I have a friend, a man, who cries like a baby while listening to a message that really touches his heart, it's spontaneous, it blesses my heart.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

MeganL

Mar 17, 2012
Toronto
✟15,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I've known Tim Tebow our whole lives and I can honestly say he's a very humble and non-showoffy guy.

When he was in high school, after a stressful football loss he knelt on the field after the game to thank God for, well, whatever was in his heart at that moment. It was a spontaneous thing, not planned to get any attention. He just felt moved to do it and it just happened.

He said it gave him such peace to stop and do that, that he just continued with successive games.

I know many people are bothered and embarrassed by it, but please try to see it as his "fulfilling need". Some athletes spit tobacco, some fiddle with their tennis undies (think Rafa Nadal), some make the sign of the cross. Tim kneels for a few seconds. Go easy on him, he's a good man.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cactus Jack

Jul 12, 2011
somewhere
✟17,259.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As a christian and a football (Cowboys) fan, I'm getting really tired of all the mockery that this well meaning athelete is bringing to the faith and to the game.
Christians should be humble and not parade their faith around in public like the pharisees as jesus had instructed.
Tebow, stop it man your an embarrassment to us all.
Rant over.:clap:
If you don't like it, don't watch it.
If you feel his actions are deleterious to Christianity, write him and say so.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
David danced in the street before the Lord with all his might. Perhaps that is why God called him the "apple of His eye".

"And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod." ~II Samuel 6:14

Reactions: Faith.Man
Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
David danced in the street before the Lord with all his might. Perhaps that is why God called him the "apple of His eye".

"And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod." ~II Samuel 6:14

:thumbsup:

Very refreshing comparison, Sister!

Upvote 0

Common Sense

Feb 23, 2012
✟15,769.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The young folks need some one with good moral values, someone to show them there is nothing wrong with being a Christian, loving your God and demonstrating it, let them have a role model that will lead them in the right direction. I believe Tebow is doing a sincere and spontanious thing, if he isn't and seeks glory the Lord will judge him.

Upvote 0

Nroley

Apr 27, 2011
Ohio
✟15,241.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've known Tim Tebow our whole lives and I can honestly say he's a very humble and non-showoffy guy.

When he was in high school, after a stressful football loss he knelt on the field after the game to thank God for, well, whatever was in his heart at that moment. It was a spontaneous thing, not planned to get any attention. He just felt moved to do it and it just happened.

He said it gave him such peace to stop and do that, that he just continued with successive games.

I know many people are bothered and embarrassed by it, but please try to see it as his "fulfilling need". Some athletes spit tobacco, some fiddle with their tennis undies (think Rafa Nadal), some make the sign of the cross. Tim kneels for a few seconds. Go easy on him, he's a good man.:)

This makes me like him moRe than I already did:thumbsup:

Upvote 0