• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't know when mine started, for a long time i think i attributed the noise as water running in pipes in the walls. It has become a big problem in that i now have a leak and i truly do have that sound in the pipes. So for a while i would think is that me or a true leak. It is costly as i became content that it was tin since i couldn't find a leak until my water bill was over $200. Normally at $50.00. mine has always been that sound. As someone mentioned as long as my mind is busy with something else i don't notice it. All i have to do is think on it and there it is. I've always thought it might have to do with blood pressure or our electrical brains
Mine is bearable but has gotten worse over the years. Ignoring has been the only way I've discovered to help.
I will continue to pray for you all ! Lately, there has been a lot of attention paid to it in the way of cure ads. I will try to post links here in the future. I don't give them much hope as they seem to be author's hope to get rich.
Lastly, i had brain surgery and still have a hole in my head and often wonder if that has anything to do with it. Along with encephalitis or meningitis, all having to do with the brain. Please mention if you have had any kind of brain injury or illness if it doesn't intrude your privacy. You don't have to give specifics.
Thanks for contributing:)
God share a healing for you all.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm wondering if the deaf get tennitis? It's not something we hear with our ears, right? Do you know how ear plugs would affect your tin? For me, i don't practice ignoring it. It just happens when i have my mind on something else. I Would think with screaming noise it would be impossible to ignore.. based.on what someone else said about a tumor i would hope you have looked into this possibility

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I thought maybe we all could post our experiences, thoughts, tips and tricks in dealing with it. Even questions.
Maybe together a breakthrough.
Not to take away from the prayer wall thread.
Please share experiences:)

I was in a car accident a few years ago.
Upon impact, I was suddenly and strongly thrust forward in the car.
Were it not for the seatbelt, I would have gone thru the windshield.
Our car was totaled.

When I returned home, I noticed my ears were ringing.
And they have been ringing ever since.

Acclimating to the constant noise in my ears - one ear worse than the other - was difficult.
The first year, was difficult.

But, I AM acclimated now, and, by the Grace of God, my condition has not worsened since the accident.

I am so very grateful that my case is not as severe as that of many others.
Maybe you read this story when it came out in 2021?
So very sad ...

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I hadn't seen this. I have a feeling tin is looked by people as a simple thing in comparison to other illnesses. It is sad more is not found to help. I'm sorry for your accident but am happy that you have found some peace with it and it has not gotten worse. Sounds like you might have shaken your brain. Makes me wonder if whip lash people have tin?
Thank you for your contribution and God bless you

• Friendly
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

Malleeboy

Jul 31, 2021
Melbourne
✟48,366.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have mild tinnitus, which started about 4 weeks ago.
I think it is more in the left than the right ear.
Worst at night, but I just imagine it is cicadas, which were so loud when I was a kid, so I have no problem getting to sleep, couple of times it has annoyed me when I have woken up at night.
During the day it is sometimes a shrill hiss, and sometimes like the noise from an old electronic gear and sometimes like the buzz of soft drink (soda)
Worked out the busier I keep myself the less annoying it is. Just imagine it is a reminder to pray.

I have read the reports of people who have it bad and it must be mentally exhausting,

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have mild tinnitus, which started about 4 weeks ago.
I think it is more in the left than the right ear.
Worst at night, but I just imagine it is cicadas, which were so loud when I was a kid, so I have no problem getting to sleep, couple of times it has annoyed me when I have woken up at night.
During the day it is sometimes a shrill hiss, and sometimes like the noise from an old electronic gear and sometimes like the buzz of soft drink (soda)
Worked out the busier I keep myself the less annoying it is. Just imagine it is a reminder to pray.

I have read the reports of people who have it bad and it must be mentally exhausting,
Have you decided what brought it on 4 weeks ago? I hope it doesn't get any worse. You bring up an interesting point. I don't think of it as a part of hearing as much as brain centered as best as i can describe it. Being in only one ear makes me suspect you might want to go to a audiologist for damage in that ear or something affecting it adversely. Going first to your regular doc and let him refer you.
Please get it checked so as to avoid any possible further damage.
Thanks for your input. New info can add to our knowledge of it. Happy Sabbath

BTW, your description of cicada's is excellent. I hadn't thought of that before but it describes mine also but centered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I was in a car accident a few years ago.
Upon impact, I was suddenly and strongly thrust forward in the car.
Were it not for the seatbelt, I would have gone thru the windshield.
Our car was totaled.

When I returned home, I noticed my ears were ringing.
And they have been ringing ever since.

Acclimating to the constant noise in my ears - one ear worse than the other - was difficult.
The first year, was difficult.

But, I AM acclimated now, and, by the Grace of God, my condition has not worsened since the accident.

I am so very grateful that my case is not as severe as that of many others.
Maybe you read this story when it came out in 2021?
So very sad ...

After reading mallees post and then yours again, i realized i missed where you said it is worse in one ear then the other. Did they check for damage to your ears? That sounds like pressure kind of like you get in airplanes or altitudes. I often think if they had hyperbolic chambers available that could be our answer.when it's a matter of pressure.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm totally convinced tinnitus is absolutely about blood pressure and salt. I was hit with high BP tonight like never before after having a bout with too much salt. It scared me and it took more then a minute to go away. They should have a way to monitor salt intake. The average daily intake a day is 1 and a half teaspoons. I hope this helps in some way

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,588.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
New tinnitus treatment, bimodal neuromodulation, targets the brain - Washington Post

The device, called Duo and distributed by Eagleman’s Neosensory company, uses an app that plays tones at various pitches and targets the somatosensory system through the vibrating wristband.

In a study of 45 participants, the company found that those who heard audio paired with vibrations on the wrist had a clinically significant reduction in their tinnitus severity scores, whereas those who only heard audio tones did not.

------

Lenire’s approach to bimodal neuromodulation is different: This device aims to increase the brain’s sensitivity to other sounds — besides the tinnitus. It stimulates the tongue, rather than the neck or jaw.

Ross O’Neill, who co-invented the Lenire device, said he focused on the tongue because a very low amount of electricity is needed to stimulate it. Nerves in the tongue are also thought to be associated with increased neuroplasticity — the brain’s ability to change — and believed to activate parts of the brain associated with attention, said Hubert Lim, the chief scientific officer of Neuromod Devices, the Dublin-based company that created Lenire, and a biomedical engineering professor at the University of Minnesota.

---

New Tinnitus Therapy Can Quiet Torturous Ringing in the Ears | Scientific American

I don't think the following treatment is available yet.

In a recent clinical trial, Susan Shore of the University of Michigan and her colleagues used a new procedure to significantly alleviate the symptoms of tinnitus. “I think the study represents hope for all sufferers,” says tinnitus expert Berthold Langguth of the University of Regensburg in Germany, who was not involved with the research.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,150.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Have had tinnitus for over 40+ years!!

Extremely loud now. Both ears but left ear is worse. I can hear it above anything!! Even with my headphones on with music playing i can hear it.

I have learned to live with it. I think if you focus on it, it could drive you crazy!!

There is no cure unfortunately....

God bless all those that suffer with it

(As you can see from my avatar, i have very big ears too!)

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Have had tinnitus for over 40+ years!!

Extremely loud now. Both ears but left ear is worse. I can hear it above anything!! Even with my headphones on with music playing i can hear it.

I have learned to live with it. I think if you focus on it, it could drive you crazy!!

There is no cure unfortunately....

God bless all those that suffer with it

(As you can see from my avatar, i have very big ears too!)
Thanks for the prayers doggy:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I contacted tinnitus 20 years ago. At the time there was an active usenet support group for it. What I've learned is the more you do to try curing it, the more aware of it you are. Being aware of it is what causes hardship. If you let your brain get used to it, it will eventually fade away (so to speak) into just being like a background noise you don't notice most of the time. Look up "tinnitus habitation" for more detailed info.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I thought maybe we all could post our experiences, thoughts, tips and tricks in dealing with it. Even questions.
Maybe together a breakthrough.
Not to take away from the prayer wall thread.
Please share experiences:)
I’ve had tinnitus ever since I can remember. It’s never really bothered me because I’ve never known anything else.

I’m not too kind on silence because then it’s louder. Normal sound completely drowns it out. So I avoid silence.

Upvote 0