Time to re-write Clovis

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The original consensus on Clovis was due to the inability to get dating older than 11,500 years. A few rebel scientists and theorists postulated a more likely date of 15,000 years ago which was later confirmed in many places.

The Cactus Hill site in Virginia wielded much evidence (stone tools, many quartzite blades, and even a few pentangular projectile points all excavated from below a known Clovis site. These artifacts predate Clovis by at least a few thousand years (some say many even possibly as far back as 100,000 years). This of course means that the Clovis tale must now be retold to include the mounting evidence against it.

Textbooks and encyclopedias will have to be rewritten, but until they are I believe that the teachers and professorate in Universities must include all the evidence. The fact is human beings lived and thrived in the Americas before the crossing of the land bridge and when Clovis arrived they were greeted by other indigenous Americans already here.

Historian Josh Clark in Were the Clovis the first Americans tells us the perpetrators of the Clovis tale “jealously guarded their ideas and evidence. A "Clovis barrier" shielded by the scientists who formed a sort of "Clovis police" discounted any other theory that placed other cultures in the Americas earlier than the Clovis.” But now too many have seen the cat out of the bag and are insisting (and have been for over a decade) that the tale be exchanged for the truth yet we are still being taught it in schools all over. I have found that changing a hypothesis based conclusion (that has been imposed by drill and repetition and accompanied with contrived image imprinting) is difficult to topple when alleged authorities insist on teaching the falsehood and selectively exclude evidence to the contrary! Or do you see it otherwise?

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The original consensus on Clovis was due to the inability to get dating older than 11,500 years. A few rebel scientists and theorists postulated a more likely date of 15,000 years ago which was later confirmed in many places.

The Cactus Hill site in Virginia wielded much evidence (stone tools, many quartzite blades, and even a few pentangular projectile points all excavated from below a known Clovis site. These artifacts predate Clovis by at least a few thousand years (some say many even possibly as far back as 100,000 years). This of course means that the Clovis tale must now be retold to include the mounting evidence against it.

Textbooks and encyclopedias will have to be rewritten, but until they are I believe that the teachers and professorate in Universities must include all the evidence. The fact is human beings lived and thrived in the Americas before the crossing of the land bridge and when Clovis arrived they were greeted by other indigenous Americans already here.

Historian Josh Clark in Were the Clovis the first Americans tells us the perpetrators of the Clovis tale “jealously guarded their ideas and evidence. A "Clovis barrier" shielded by the scientists who formed a sort of "Clovis police" discounted any other theory that placed other cultures in the Americas earlier than the Clovis.” But now too many have seen the cat out of the bag and are insisting (and have been for over a decade) that the tale be exchanged for the truth yet we are still being taught it in schools all over. I have found that changing a hypothesis based conclusion (that has been imposed by drill and repetition and accompanied with contrived image imprinting) is difficult to topple when alleged authorities insist on teaching the falsehood and selectively exclude evidence to the contrary! Or do you see it otherwise?
I think that you have been misinformed about the degree of certainty implied by scientific theories. I also think you are too easily influenced by non-scientists: popular science writers and TV documentary hosts, public school teachers, textbook writers, etc.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Funny because I believe most "non-scientists: popular science writers and TV documentary hosts, public school teachers, textbook writers, etc." are "misinformed about the degree of certainty implied by scientific theories."
LOL! In which direction?

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

This guy?

ABOUT

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I think that you have been misinformed about the degree of certainty implied by scientific theories. I also think you are too easily influenced by non-scientists: popular science writers and TV documentary hosts, public school teachers, textbook writers, etc.
I originally accorded this post an "Agree", but then noted that you had included textbook writers as among the non-scientists. I acknowledge that not all textbooks are of high quality and that probably all contain some errors, but surely any science textbook at, or above the level of a high school will have been written by a scientist? I have in excess of one hundred science textbooks in my library and all of them were written by scientists. Of course, perhaps by avoiding poor quality textbooks I automatically screen out any by non-scientists. Anyway, I'd like your take on this point.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I originally accorded this post an "Agree", but then noted that you had included textbook writers as among the non-scientists. I acknowledge that not all textbooks are of high quality and that probably all contain some errors, but surely any science textbook at, or above the level of a high school will have been written by a scientist? I have in excess of one hundred science textbooks in my library and all of them were written by scientists. Of course, perhaps by avoiding poor quality textbooks I automatically screen out any by non-scientists. Anyway, I'd like your take on this point.
In most school districts of which I have any knowledge, biology is a subject taken in the 10th grade. It is often the course intended to meet the science requirement for high school graduation taken by those not contemplating post-secondary education. The instructor is not expected to have any instruction in biology himself and the materials will be cheap and frequently outdated. Yes, the textbooks may or may not have someone's name on them who holds a PhD in the appropriate field, but his role will have been advisory at best, with most of the actual work being done by educational "experts" with little or no subject matter expertise. The other factor is the large Bible Belt state of Texas, which is the only state in the Union which buys textbooks on a statewide basis. Consequently, Texas school officials have a disproportional effect on textbook content due to the size of the order they place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
In most school districts of which I have any knowledge, biology is a subject taken in the 10th grade. It is often the course intended to meet the science requirement for high school graduation taken by those not contemplating post-secondary education. The instructor is not expected to have any instruction in biology himself and the materials will be cheap and frequently outdated. Yes, the textbooks may or may not have someone's name on them who holds a PhD in the appropriate field, but his role will have been advisory at best, with most of the actual work being done by educational "experts" with little or no subject matter expertise. The other factor is the large Bible Belt state of Texas, which is the only state in the Union which buys textbooks on a statewide basis. Consequently, Texas school officials have a disproportional effect on textbook content due to the size of the order they place.
Thanks for the clarification. I was basing my perception on the situation as I understand it to exist in the UK. That said, such school level textbooks as I have date from the 1960s and we may have gone downhille since then. :) (Though, based input from those of my friends who are Secondary School science teachers, such is not the case.)

Upvote 0