The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist
Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Scottish MSP Margo MacDonald has a second attempt at playing God, despite failing badly the first time, and despite MSP's not having changed their position from the first failed attempt! Time to let go Margo :blush:

BBC News - MSP brings back proposals to legalise assisted dying

The day when people like her win will be the day that this country takes one step in the right direction for everyone. There literally is no legitimate argument against euthanasia, just a debate over how it should work. Anyone who votes against assisted dying supports forcing people to suffer against their will, and as far as I am concerned, that makes them torturers.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
People who think that they can play God are taking a liberty!!!

'Playing God' is a meaningless dribble of an argument. It can be applied to almost anything.

It might be acceptable in a theocracy, but even then it would be a dumb point to make. In a free country like the UK the point of liberty is that individuals are free to do as they wish as long as they doesn't harm others. People who disagree have no right to oppress and enslave other to their personal beliefs.

Despite this country largely having become post-Christian, it is good to see that the majority (including politicians and the medical profession) still uphold the sanctity of life.

From what I read I thought that the majority supported a change in the law. The politicians are just a bit behind the people, plus there are alot of conservatives in government.

It has nothing to do with whether someone values the sanctity of life (though that is also on the way out). You can still accept that you have no right to force people to do what you want. You can strongly disagree with someone while still accepting that it is their choice. That is how liberty works.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sav3dbygrac3

Oct 15, 2012
✟7,762.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You stole my name lol

images

Upvote 0
Jul 23, 2011
✟11,231.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From what I read I thought that the majority supported a change in the law. The politicians are just a bit behind the people, plus there are alot of conservatives in government.

It has nothing to do with whether someone values the sanctity of life (though that is also on the way out). You can still accept that you have no right to force people to do what you want. You can strongly disagree with someone while still accepting that it is their choice. That is how liberty works.

1. Before accusing me of talking dribble, I suggest you check out your facts with regards the outcome of the vote in 2010 (the thread relates to the Scottish govt, not the UK's).

BBC News - Margo MacDonald's End of Life Assistance Bill rejected

2. Please don't confuse liberty with the law of the land!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟652,233.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
There is also a passive euthanasia.

A patient who wishes to discontinue treatment has a right to do so.
The condition is that he or she understands the information provided by the doctor and the consequences of his or her decision.

(National board of health and welfare, Sweden)

Though actively helping a person to commit suicide by administering lethal substance or force remains illegal in Sweden.

One unnamed woman was entirely paralysed from the age of six, she was dependant on a respirator to live, at the age of 32 she wanted to be put to sleep and the respirator turned off.

If she had lived before the invention of a respirator she would have died much earlier, but she herself said she did not want to rot away.
It,s not easy that,s for sure.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟652,233.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
1) That has nothing to do with it.

2) Bet people could tell slaves that.

You have yourself stated earlier that you don,t like rules, do you remember?

If for example you have a car, and someone steals it.
do you just pretend it,s raining, or do you report it to the police?

The rules do say, do not steal, so is it good to have rules or not?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
You have yourself stated earlier that you don,t like rules, do you remember?

If for example you have a car, and someone steals it.
do you just pretend it,s raining, or do you report it to the police?

The rules do say, do not steal, so is it good to have rules or not?

Did I say rules are bad? I might have meant rules based on tradition.

You and I have never seen eye to eye on CF, so yet again we shall have to agree to disagree :)

Well it would be nice if you would say the same thing about your personal morality and law. That you disagree with someone, but it is their liberty to do with their life as they wish.

But until it is, it must be obeyed!

I support doctors disobeying the law in this case; in the more extreme circumstances at least.

Upvote 0