US-Republican

drboyd

Jun 27, 2004
✟3,316.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Of course. The clear implication is that while "Person of the Year" assesses impact, it's not necessarily an indicator of whether that impact will be positive.

Street Smarts said:
A. 1938 - Hitler

B. 1939 - Stalin

C. 1942 - Stalin

Is there a point to your trivia?

Upvote 0

lucid42day

where do I go when the land touches sea
Apr 1, 2004
We'll stumble through the APT.
✟9,766.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Sanguine said:
Isn't it supposed to be based on impact (and not necessarily a positive one)?
Who knows? I don't trust the liberal media.

But more seriously. He won the previous popularity contest, so he may as well win this one as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SarcasmDispenser

Unload Yourself
Nov 18, 2004
AZ
✟3,661.00
Faith
Buddhist
toxiciridescence said:
Heh, yeah, either people worship him (really, there are some out there who believe he appointed God), or people can't stand the sight of him (he makes my youth minister physically sick), so yeah, he's definetly "person of the year".
Not me, I just liked him a lot better than the other canidates. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Acquired Tastes

Child of the 80's
Jun 21, 2004
North Carolina
✟8,006.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
toxiciridescence said:
Heh, yeah, either people worship him (really, there are some out there who believe he appointed God), or people can't stand the sight of him (he makes my youth minister physically sick), so yeah, he's definetly "person of the year".
I don't worship Bush, or think he appointed God, but I do believe Bush is a very God-fearing, Christian man. I think God will bless the US if a God-fearing person is leading the country, just like in the Old Testement when He blessed Israel when they had God-fearing kings.

Upvote 0

Cliche Guevara

Oct 17, 2004
✟1,362.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
drfeelgood said:
Cool :cool: Certainly congratulations are in order.
Not really, dr.feelgood (and others who have expressed similar sentiment to this announcement).

You see, Time's Person of the Year is not always chosen because of good things they have done or because Time thinks they are the Best Human Being of the Year; but more because of the drastic impact they have had on world affairs, and their domination of world news.

While this is not always the case, the editorial presented by MSN in the OP is rather ambiguous in it's tone, and not too easy to tell if it is being critical or complimentary.

Also, every elected President of the United States since Franklin Roosevelt has been a Person of the Year at least once. Many were chosen simply for accomplishing the feat of being elected to that office.

And remember -Hitler, Stalin, Osama Bin Laden, Ayotollah Komeini have all been Person of the Year at least once.

Upvote 0

Cliche Guevara

Oct 17, 2004
✟1,362.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
phylis said:
Now now, I am a pretty liberal person now-a-days, but I agree with their pick. I do respect Bush for "sticking to his guns". Regardless of if the things he has done are right or wrong, you have to give props to a man who can stand up for what he belives.
Aye, like Hitler. He stuck to his guns regarding those evil Jews! </sarcasm>

I give no props to people who stick to their guns for the sake of sticking to their guns, right or wrong - especially when other people's lives are at stake.

I give more props to the person who can admit they made a mistake and correct that mistake, than just blindly and egoistically sticking to faulty (and deadly) "guns".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Acquired Tastes

Child of the 80's
Jun 21, 2004
North Carolina
✟8,006.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Cliche Guevara said:
And remember -Hitler, Stalin, Osama Bin Laden, Ayotollah Komeini have all been Person of the Year at least once.
Actually, Osama was never Person of the Year. Time considered giving it to him in 2001, but went with Rudy instead.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cliche Guevara said:
Also, every elected President of the United States since Franklin Roosevelt has been a Person of the Year at least once. Many were chosen simply for accomplishing the feat of being elected to that office.

Actually, Ford is the only US president since FDR to not be named person of the year.

Other than Ford, Hoover is the only president not to be named Person of the Year.

source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_of_the_Year

Upvote 0

aragorn

Y ah we here fallen
Sep 18, 2003
✟563.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Others
Acquired Tastes said:
I don't worship Bush, or think he appointed God, but I do believe Bush is a very God-fearing, Christian man. I think God will bless the US if a God-fearing person is leading the country, just like in the Old Testement when He blessed Israel when they had God-fearing kings.
So why is it that all his policy is completely unchristian?

Upvote 0