Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, i need a new computer, HOWEVER, i do NOT want a Windows-based computer. I prefer a Linux based computer. I've heard lots of positive things about them, only thing is, i've heard that they might be a little less user-friendly than Windows.

Are there any Linux based computers that are user-friendly?

Thanks, any information or suggestions would be appreciated.
You heard right, Linux is not as user friendly compared to windows and especially not if you plan on installing other third party software not included with or readily accessible on and from most Linux distributions (Linux based operating systems). Steeper learning curve. There are some Windows-like Linux distributions out there intended for those who want to use a Linux OS that is similar to windows. The best two are probably ChaletOS and Zorin. You need knowledge in using the command line interface even in these OS though for certain 3rd party programs. Also, these purported Window clones were not similar enough to windows to suit my needs. Also, be aware that not all windows software will run in the Wine program (compatibility program) offered on Linux OSs.

I only have tried Zorin 12. Don't try to download through the Zorin site. Their site is set up to require a fee. Download from Softpedia.com (their site is down right now).

As someone who had never before used a Linux OS, I had difficulty in installing some third party software. in general, it is much easier to install programs in Windows than in Linux. With some Linus software, you have to take several steps to install certain programs involving the command line. But I believe that is only an issue for specialty applications. Most software that you will need will be readily installable from within the Linux OS. (if basic programs are not already installed--they should mostly be-- and ready to be used, then you can visit "software centers" online through Linux and install them.
Linux Tutorial - Master The Command Line

Linux has the great benefit of being almost malware proof since most malware is written for windows and MAC.

If you have little knowledge concerning computers and operating systems, then you would probably do better staying with windows and very good anti-malware software because of device compatibility issues. For example, you might end up having difficulty connecting wirelessy to your router/modem using a Linux OS. I had no such problem using Zorin 12. You might also have difficulty running your printer if that printer is not compatible with a Linux OS. My printer would not work with Zorin 12 even though I tried installing the printer firmware (drivers) with the Linux Wine application.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

AACJ

Please Pray
Nov 17, 2016
US
✟103,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for the information and the link. My current computer (poor thing....i'm shocked she's still surviving) has issues with drivers, etc.
Has anyone cleaned your comp's windows OS? Are you mistaking Software corruption and clutter with failing hardware? If your only having a driver problem, then you can save your important files and re-install windows (assuming you have and install CD/flash drive). That way you can get 2 or more years out of you PC. It is fairly simple to download all the free utilities you need to clean up your Windows OS. You would install those utilities and then let them do the repair. I can walk you through it. Here is a link for some free programs that might help correct your diver issues. I have never used them. You can probably get the free ones from Softpedia.com.
10 Free Programs That Will Help Update Drivers in Windows

A 9 year old comp is nearing the end of its service if there is no repair/replace for hardware components. If you have periodically cleaned out the dust, then you probably have 2 or more years left of use.

If you can get a USB stick (with at least 4 GB of space) or a CD, then you can simply install a free Linux OS onto those--or by a preloaded one. These "Live" set ups allow you to navigate the Net from the USB Stick and not your comp's Windows. That way you can determine if a Linux OS is what you want. With the bootable USB or CD, you would power off your PC and then turn it on again with the Live USB or CD ready to be used. Your comp would boot from the USB or CD instead of from your comp's hard drive. This method does not alter your Windows installation.

There are preloaded, bootble USB flash drives available online. Just plug it in, and turn on your comp. You do, however, have to make sure that your PC's BIOS is set up to boot first from a USB or CD. That might be difficult for you if you have to change you boot priority in your PC BIOS. It might however already be set to boot first from a USB flash drive or your CD drive.

Find a preloaded drive (flash or CD) that allows for "persistent" use. That is, you can save user settings/information/profiles and files just like you do now with your Windows OS. Also make sure you order a preloaded Linux OS that is right for your correct architecture: 32 bit or 64 bit. If you do not know what your hardware can support, a 32 or 64 OS, then use this link:
How to determine if you have a 64-bit or 32-bit CPU

Some examples (never used them. Don't know how trustworthy they are):

https://www.amazon.com/Multiboot-sy...ds=zorin+live+flash+drive#feature-bullets-btf

https://www.amazon.com/Multiboot-Fl...ds=zorin+live+flash+drive#feature-bullets-btf

https://www.amazon.com/Ubuntu-Linux...954965&sr=1-4&keywords=linux+live+flash+drive

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0181XJGBG/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_1_w

You can also make your own bootable flash drive Linux OS for less money, but that takes more time and knowledge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You heard right, Linux is not as user friendly compared to windows and especially not if you plan on installing other third party software not included with or readily accessible on and from most Linux distributions (Linux based operating systems). Steeper learning curve.
That WAS true. Definitely WAS true. But it has become easier. No OS installation is actually easy, which is why almost everyone just sticks with what came installed.

Check out Buy a Linux Computer - linuxpreloaded.com

Reactions: AACJ
Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That WAS true. Definitely WAS true. But it has become easier. No OS installation is actually easy, which is why almost everyone just sticks with what came installed.

Check out Buy a Linux Computer - linuxpreloaded.com
Yes, for me connecting to a wireless network with Linux (pre-installed) was as easy as Windows. This did not used to be the case.
On a side note, make sure that the printer you buy will work with (or has drivers for Linux). I don't believe mine does, or not that I have found. There's plenty of online help and help here with questions like that though.

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I didn’t want to get involved because I will be arguing with the very nice Linux people in saying this but...

I recommend an iPad. The hardware and software has gotten pretty good on them, and with the money you save, you can buy an extended warranty for it with Accidental Damage Protection.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes, for me connecting to a wireless network with Linux (pre-installed) was as easy as Windows. This did not used to be the case.
On a side note, make sure that the printer you buy will work with (or has drivers for Linux). I don't believe mine does, or not that I have found. There's plenty of online help and help here with questions like that though.
Linux uses CUPS (invented by Apple) for printing, and it works well with HP and Epson printers based on my own personal experience. I scan and print regularly from my Epson networked printer and it's got full driver support. Check here for compatibility: Printer List | OpenPrinting - The Linux Foundation

• Informative
Reactions: HereIStand
Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I didn’t want to get involved because I will be arguing with the very nice Linux people in saying this but...

I recommend an iPad. The hardware and software has gotten pretty good on them, and with the money you save, you can buy an extended warranty for it with Accidental Damage Protection.
An iPad is good. My Mom uses hers all the time for checking web surfing and checking e-mail. I wonder if a keyboard can be attached to the iPad.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Linux uses CUPS (invented by Apple) for printing, and it works well with HP and Epson printers based on my own personal experience. I scan and print regularly from my Epson networked printer and it's got full driver support. Check here for compatibility: Printer List | OpenPrinting - The Linux Foundation
That's a good link. It seems that I have the one Brother printer that's unlisted. That'll teach me to avoid those Sam's specials. :D

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I fear all this talk could scare a newbie away. The basic fact is that Linux has come a long way, and as long as you choose the right distro, is easy to use and get acclimated to. Most people spend their lives in the browser and office anyway. The need for the command line in linux is hardly more than in windows if you have a ubuntu derivative, because most progs have dedicated ubuntu installers. And most hardware works fine with no extra drivers needed, though there are some exceptions.

We used to say that Linux will soon be ready for the desktop. It now already is. I know of very few people who have tried it and prefer windows.

Upvote 0

elytron

Oct 5, 2008
California
✟290,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The DistroWatch website may be useful for you. DistroWatch.com keeps track of all the versions of the Linux OS. They maintain screen shots for each one, also linking to their download location. Most downloads are a couple GB in size, and will be an .iso file. Which you can burn to DVD to test out, or install to your computer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AACJ

Please Pray
Nov 17, 2016
US
✟103,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think the partitioning procedure is easier on Windows during installation. What OS are you using? Ever had any trouble with malware?
I use Fedora. I support a Windows 7 computer my wife uses. I scan both for problems all the time. Her computer had a nasty that locked up until a ransom would be paid, but we defeated the beast. I have so little malware action on my computer I downloaded a 'test virus' just to be sure the scanner was working.

Partitioning using GParted is a cakewalk, unless, of course you delete a data partition by mistake. But that's possible in ANY sort of OS. And that's why partitioning can be frightful. But on a clean slate disk it's no problem.

Upvote 0

AACJ

Please Pray
Nov 17, 2016
US
✟103,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I use Fedora. I support a Windows 7 computer my wife uses. I scan both for problems all the time. Her computer had a nasty that locked up until a ransom would be paid, but we defeated the beast. I have so little malware action on my computer I downloaded a 'test virus' just to be sure the scanner was working.

Partitioning using GParted is a cakewalk, unless, of course you delete a data partition by mistake. But that's possible in ANY sort of OS. And that's why partitioning can be frightful. But on a clean slate disk it's no problem.
I just recently started using Sandboxie. Free program, but after 30 days it starts nagging (I think its 20$/year for one comp). Working good except for no audio on Opera and Firefox. Found a workaround for firefox. I was using Bufferzone Pro for sanboxing but there is no more support for it. Never got major malware.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Windows has come a long way so much so that it is much more stable than Linux. It just works.

I don't know where you get that from. I've got both on this computer, and the difference in stability is slight if Windows automatic updates and antivirus are disabled. With both of those active it gets to be more of a resource hog than Linux, and more likely to drag, occasionally. Linux installation is a breeze compared to Windows, and recovery options don't depend on proprietary software, so I can always grab a new copy of the OS from anywhere without having to dig up a key and pray for permission to recover.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Windows has come a long way so much so that it is much more stable than Linux. It just works.
I have worked on thousands of Windows machines, and all I can do is shake my head at your statement.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have worked on thousands of Windows machines, and all I can do is shake my head at your statement.
Agreed. But Windows 7 was better than their average, and Windows 10 seems better than their average as well. Not that bad. Still, I'm keeping my Fedora Linux.

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Windows 7 was better than their average, and Windows 10 seems better than their average as well.
Win 7, their last classic desktop OS, was quite clean. 10 might be ok now, I haven't done much with it in a year, but before that, every month in the days after Patch Tuesday the machines would come in with boot loops from broken MS updates. It was like clockwork.

Win 8 was a study in classic MS arrogance; 8.1 was them eating humble pie, and is my fave MS OS. Win10 I would not use, for the issues of privacy and user control over basic functions such as updating. Last I knew, the beta keylogger was still resident in the thing, only deactivated.

I'm delighted to be on Linux, which generally is built by people who care as much about user control and privacy as do I. And it's solid as a rock.

Upvote 0

AACJ

Please Pray
Nov 17, 2016
US
✟103,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know where you get that from. I've got both on this computer, and the difference in stability is slight if Windows automatic updates and antivirus are disabled. With both of those active it gets to be more of a resource hog than Linux, and more likely to drag, occasionally. Linux installation is a breeze compared to Windows, and recovery options don't depend on proprietary software, so I can always grab a new copy of the OS from anywhere without having to dig up a key and pray for permission to recover.
How how does a new copy of a Linux OS help you recover? Recover what?

I have been using Windows 7 for a long time and have had no real issues in stability. I just defrag and regularly clean the registry (page file as well).

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Win 7, their last classic desktop OS, was quite clean. 10 might be ok now, I haven't done much with it in a year, but before that, every month in the days after Patch Tuesday the machines would come in with boot loops from broken MS updates. It was like clockwork.

Win 8 was a study in classic MS arrogance; 8.1 was them eating humble pie, and is my fave MS OS. Win10 I would not use, for the issues of privacy and user control over basic functions such as updating. Last I knew, the beta keylogger was still resident in the thing, only deactivated.

I'm delighted to be on Linux, which generally is built by people who care as much about user control and privacy as do I. And it's solid as a rock.
My wife uses Windows 7. After the old laptop physically died after a brief resurrection running Linux, she just went with what came on the new computer. I occasionally ran a pre-release Win 10 as a virtual machine using 'boxes' but that eventually broke in an update. Professionally I support Windows 10 and it seems stable. But it does seem like a spyware version right out of the box. I don't like it for that reason. With Linux, you could, if you wanted, look at every line of code, or if you were rich, hire someone to look at every line of code. And you could change any line of code to suit yourself. Not that I do, but that is a form of freedom, just having it, that is invaluable.

Upvote 0