Student at William Jewell
Aug 14, 2003
Visit site
✟16,028.00
Faith
Christian
Dear Daily Message Readers,

READ: Luke 10:38-42

Luke 10:40 (NASB) "But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to Him and said, 'Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell her to help me.'"

I love the Bible because there is always a story that seems to hit home when the Holy Spirit speaks to my heart. Such is the case with the story of Mary and Martha in Luke 10:38-42. In the story, the two sisters of Lazarus who was raised from the dead by Jesus were as different as could be. Martha had accepted the responsibility for making sure that the house ran smoothly, that the meals were made, and that all who came to their home were treated with hospitability and respect. On the other side, Mary was not so worried about everyday responsibilities before her in the household. So when Jesus visited, Martha was so busy serving that she didn't have time to sit and listen to her Lord. However, Mary openly welcomed the opportunity and took full advantage of it. Martha, after examining the responsibilities before her, then complained to Jesus that Mary was making her do all the work.

The interesting twist to this story occurs in Jesus' response. You see, He didn't rebuke Martha for serving, but rebuked her instead for her attitude in the process of serving. He said, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her" (Luke 10:41-42). Our Savior clarified that it wasn't her serving that was the problem. It was Martha's complaining, sappy attitude.

What is your attitude as you serve God on a day-to-day basis? You may be using the spiritual gifts God has given you, but with the wrong heart when the chance arises to use them. Do you constantly complain about the family members, friends, or Christian brothers or sisters you do so much for? If this is the case, then perhaps your attitude is one of disregard. You don't have time to be still and listen to God because you are so busy doing His work and meeting your responsibilities at work, school, or home. The truth is that God will help you get the work done. What He really wants is a follower who makes time for Him on a daily basis.

Examine your heart today, asking the Lord to help you rethink your attitude so that everything you do brings glory to Him alone. Faith Lesson: Unlike Martha's example in today’s text, time well spent is best achieved at the Jesus' feet, honoring and serving Him.

In Christ,
Darin Smith